Get the HappyCow App

HappyCow mobile application
The App Stores #1 vegetarian and vegan restaurant guide
Thousand of listings across the globe
Featured on CNN, NY Times, and Wall Street Journal
Download the app

© HappyCow 2018

Lord of the Fries - Flinders St

Shop 5 Flinders Street Station (at opposite Federation Square), Melbourne, Victoria, VIC 3000

Fast food franchise, this outlet is a counter in the mall food court. Menu offers burgers, hot dogs, nuggets, onion rings, shakes, and chips with a variety of sauces. Open Mon 8:30am-10:00pm, Tue-Thu 11:00am-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 9:00am-3:00am, Sun 9:00am-9:30pm.

Categories: Vegan, American, Western, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by ampallang

Lucy9

Contributions +153

12 Aug 2018

always a favourite - Edit

Can’t go wrong with hot chips, gravy and cheese. Love it!
Can choose type of chips (I had shoe string) then add your sauces ($1-$3).
$9 can be steep for chips but it’s always a good time!!

Pros: vegan cheese and gravy!!

vegtini

Contributions +16

27 Jun 2018

THIS IS WHY IM VEGAN - Edit

the burgers and sauces were AMAZING and super duper filling. totally recommend the sweet potato fries w/ hummus sauce

Charlie.

Contributions +748

09 May 2018

My Fave LOTF Branch! - Edit

This gotta be my favourite LOTF branch! Strategically located at Flinders street, simply order and head to Federation Square to enjoy vegan fast food!! Yums!!!

Sudal

Contributions +13

22 Apr 2018

Yummy vegan food - Edit

Fantastic vegan food options. Great burgers and fries

andibrand

Contributions +95

31 Mar 2018

Great fast food - Edit

I love that this place is completely vegan so no worries about animal products in your lunch. There are branches all over Melbourne which is also very convenient. I found the service a bit slow, but not enough to stop me eating here. Overall a great boon to veganism.

CorrieBray

Contributions +45

Mostly Vegetarian
30 Mar 2018

delicious vegan fast food... - Edit

I loved it here before I was vegan, now it’s a staple in our vegan fast options... Always delicious!

V-for-Vegan

Contributions +950

27 Mar 2018

Grab-n-Go Fast Food!!! - Edit

A great place for grab-n-go vegan fast food! This one has no seating but it's conveniently connected the Flinders train station and Federation Square is right opposite! Their milkshakes are 100% vegan and I am so addicted to their Peanut Butter milkshake!!

CaitlinMonnery

Contributions +66

30 Nov 2017

Hole in the wall in the station - Edit

Great option when you're going to a show or something in the city and can't be bothered analysing restaurant menus. It all comes take away so go across the road and eat in the square.

Pros: AMAZING vegan junk food

ericacrombie

Contributions +414

29 Sep 2017

I love LotF - Edit

I can't even imagine life without LotF at this point. So good. This branch doesn't have any seating, it's just a box at the station, but it's open late and is super conveniently located. Good to grab some greasy food after a few drinks.

Pros: Greasy deliciousness , Conveniently located, Open late

Cons: No seating

Wuji_Luiji

Contributions +1247

18 Feb 2017

Delicious fast food - Edit

I love Lord of the Fries and The Flinders St Outlet did not disappoint! I had a delicious mini tropical burger to take away (no seating at this one). I'm quite sure I'll be tempted again next time I pass through Flinders St Station!

Floppsy

Contributions +43

03 Oct 2016

Didn't even realise it was vegan! - Edit

I've seen it a few times when I went to the city and just assumed it wasn't vegan, but as I was searching for vegan burger options for a day out with an omni friend, I found out it was all veggie! When we got the burgers, I didn't tell her they were vegan until she ate it and she was shocked! The food was really good and so realistic! I've been there multiple times since and the food is always good, although sometimes it takes a while to be served.

Pros: Realistic, delicious food

Cons: A little on the expensive side

KatieBatty

Contributions +992

06 Sep 2016

Yummy fast food, super convenient! - Edit

Lord of Fries is an institution. I love walking down here in the morning and grabbing a breakfast bun and hash browns. I also like that they offer mini burgers and different kinds of chips - try the thick cut! I have found the sweet potato ones a bit too oily unfortunately.

Pros: Great vegan fast food

Cons: Would like more dessert options

mrd

Contributions +161

19 Nov 2015

Good Vegan Food Options, Undertrained Staff - Edit

Good vegan food options and nice for a salty, oily fix. Milkshakes are poor. Unfortunately the staff let this place down and food hygiene seems very much lacking at least with some staff. The staff member that served me used his gloves for the transaction (including receiving money) then touched other food surfaces (including fridge handles) and then food directly. I was there 5-10 minutes and didn't see him change gloves once. Very concerning and made me wonder about my meal the day before. The place also seems very messy. Such a shame to see - the food is nice and the chips are great. Hope they do something about it before someone gets sick.

Pros: Good vegan options, Salty, oily food fix

Cons: Food hygiene practices questionable, Menus can be hard to read when people are in the a

verbosity

Contributions +7310

07 Jun 2015

hire cleaners - Edit

Undersized & overpriced food that looks nothing like the photos. Ate here once and half of the ingredients were missing, the burger was thrown together possibly while the employee was riding a unicycle. The kitchen does not look hygienic and the fries are very average.

Pros: No

Cons: Everything

beancurdled

Contributions +463

30 Mar 2015

so hard to walk past! - Edit

Given it's convenient location at the station, this is the LOTF branch that gets most of my business. Can't count the times I've munched down a box of fries and onion rings on the platform waiting for my train!

The vegan version of the spicy burger has been my go-to for years now. My BF loves the hot dogs but I'm not fussed about them. Not a fan of their nuggets AT ALL. They taste like cardboard to me but I know others love them.

I've long lamented that they discontinued the satay sauce - I used to eat it on everything! I'm happy that they seemed to have improved their vegan mayo though. The one they used to use was kind of thin and mucous-y (seriously, it was gross!) but it's much fluffier and creamier now.

Apart from the location, the other attractive thing about this location is that they do breakfast options. Breakfast bun with a tofu "egg" (they have actual eggs too), vegan bacon rasher, fresh tomato and a hash brown is hard to beat. Especially if you're up early with a hangover.

Pros: breakfast options

wuasabai

Contributions +165

16 Nov 2014

Excellent + Very Kind. - Edit

I accidentally forgot to ask for the vegan option and remembered just prior to getting my order. I asked the staff member if she could make a new burger & that I was happy to pay for it. She was very understanding and said she'd make a new one, but didn't want the money. How unbelievably nice!! I always love coming here after a night in the city or before a train trip.

Pros: Yum, Yum , Yum

TransmogriBenno

Contributions +74

12 Jul 2014

Junk food heaven - Edit

I had a parma burger, which was every bit as disgusting as it sounds. Poutine always goes down a treat, too. Thumbs up.

Probably the only thing I dislike about LotF is having to ask about what's vegan. Would it be that hard to mark the items on the menu (as pretty much every other place does)?

Pros: Greasy, Salty, Wholly satisfying

SimoneTracey

Contributions +102

09 Nov 2013

You Gotta Love the Fries - Edit

This is my favourite Lord of the Fries as you can grab the food to go, sit over at Federation Square and enjoy the city atmosphere. So many scrumptious sauce options for the fries...and the burgers...well I know for a fact that a lot of people do not even realise they are eating vegetarian/vegan fare and they love the place too :)

eveliene99

Contributions +112

15 Sep 2012

Vegan fast food! - Edit

I waited two years to have LOTF again since the first time I had it, so when I was back in Melbourne I binged on all the horrible fried vegan goodness they have. It's great that there's a company out there that serves vegan/vegetarian fast food and which is so good. I recommend this place to everyone.

Pros: Affordable, Great greasy food, Friendly staff

amaranth

Contributions +115

29 Jul 2012

great burgers - Edit

I don't think the fries are very special but everything else is. I love the burgers and nuggets, though nothing is healthy here. Good for fast food. No seats though. Gf options. I wish it was entirely vegan but it is great anyhow.

Cons: no seats , lots of homeless people hanging around , not healthy

hippywoman

Contributions +213

29 Jun 2012

LOTF- meets the hype - Edit

I had first visited LOTF in a visit to Melbourne last year and it was the first place my husband and I went to this time around. I was super-excited to go as we were walking towards it my husband (quite fussy with food) suggested I may have overhyped it. We ordered one chilli popper each, he had the spicy burger, I had the guru burger and a box of nuggets and chips with the salsa sauce. The chilli poppers are amazing, and even my husband was impressed. We also enjoyed our burgers and the fries/nugget box. I did want their chocolate mousse but they had run out :(. I'm not a huge fan of the salsa so next time I'd probably skip it. As a Sydneysider I am very jealous of this Melbourne establishment- can't wait til it opens in Sydney! I would give it 4 1/2 cows.

Pros: tasty, vegetarian fast food!

DanielFerguson

Contributions +51

23 Oct 2011

An absolute blessing, quick cheap tasty (although unhealthy) food in an awesome location. What more could you ask for.

Pros: Good food, Great location

Aloo

Contributions +2078

29 Aug 2011

Breaky at the Lord's - Edit

What a delightful treat being able to have a vegan breakie bun for, ahh breaky! They have of course, vegan options, but they also have egg. They even have soy bacon. So particularly if you have recently given up the real deal, this is a great reminder that you don't have to miss out on anything really if you know where to look!

Pros: Tasty, Fresh

Cons: not the healthiest

t-bone123456

Contributions +52

24 Jun 2010

Love it! - Edit

Greatest chips - Best burgers - Amazing onion rings.
Right in the middle of the city - you cant miss it & shouldn't. Great vegan food.

Pros: Tasty, Amazing, McDonalds for vegans

Cons: Seats only inside station

Sonja and Dirk

Contributions +5794

01 Dec 2009

Amazing fries - Edit

After learning that Australian fries are generally manufactured with tallow, I avoided them during our trip, so by the time we got to Melbourne, I was having a serious fry craving. We went nuts. We ordered a burger each with large servings of fries, one with gravy and vegan cheese (poutine) and the other with Italian. We also got the nuggets with BBQ sauce. The burgers were good, but nothing to write home about, but man, the fries! They were out of this world. They are prepared from scratch with local potatoes (so they can change seasonally too). Even though I eat fries regularly at home in the US, they were really a step above, even plain. The sauces just added to it. And the nuggets! Not like American breaded nuggets. These really looked like nuggets! And super tasty as well. We had an early dinner, so it was rush hour and lots of people were getting food for their train ride home, so there were long lines and the few tables filled up quick, but if you hovered, a spot would open up soon enough.

Pros: unbelievable fries, did I mention the fries?, nuggets

Cons: can get really busy

CarolR

Contributions +41

07 Aug 2009

mmmm..... yum! - Edit

Lovely crispy fries and tasty veggie burgers, I had the spicy one which was delicious. You can get mini burgers which suited me fine for an afternoon snack. Yummy.

Pros: Veggie, Tasty, Yummy

philjdomm

Contributions +687

05 Jul 2009

late nite: Lordy! - Edit

better than grabbing it from McDonald's...

Return to Melbourne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lord of the Fries - Flinders St closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.