Lord of the Fries - Flinders St

• Vegetarian
Contact 1300667552

Shop 5 Flinders Street Station (at opposite Federation Square), Melbourne, Victoria, VIC 3000

Vegetarian fast food and takeaway franchise with multiple outlets. Menu offers burgers, hot dogs, nuggets and onion rings, as well as chips with a variety of sauces. Limited seating.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Western, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by ampallang

Good Vegan Food Options, Undertrained Staff - Edit

Good vegan food options and nice for a salty, oily fix. Milkshakes are poor. Unfortunately the staff let this place down and food hygiene seems very much lacking at least with some staff. The staff member that served me used his gloves for the transaction (including receiving money) then touched other food surfaces (including fridge handles) and then food directly. I was there 5-10 minutes and didn't see him change gloves once. Very concerning and made me wonder about my meal the day before. The place also seems very messy. Such a shame to see - the food is nice and the chips are great. Hope they do something about it before someone gets sick.

Pros: Good vegan options, Salty, oily food fix

Cons: Food hygiene practices questionable, Menus can be hard to read when people are in the a

hire cleaners - Edit

Undersized & overpriced food that looks nothing like the photos. Ate here once and half of the ingredients were missing, the burger was thrown together possibly while the employee was riding a unicycle. The kitchen does not look hygienic and the fries are very average.

Pros: No

Cons: Everything

so hard to walk past! - Edit

Given it's convenient location at the station, this is the LOTF branch that gets most of my business. Can't count the times I've munched down a box of fries and onion rings on the platform waiting for my train!

The vegan version of the spicy burger has been my go-to for years now. My BF loves the hot dogs but I'm not fussed about them. Not a fan of their nuggets AT ALL. They taste like cardboard to me but I know others love them.

I've long lamented that they discontinued the satay sauce - I used to eat it on everything! I'm happy that they seemed to have improved their vegan mayo though. The one they used to use was kind of thin and mucous-y (seriously, it was gross!) but it's much fluffier and creamier now.

Apart from the location, the other attractive thing about this location is that they do breakfast options. Breakfast bun with a tofu "egg" (they have actual eggs too), vegan bacon rasher, fresh tomato and a hash brown is hard to beat. Especially if you're up early with a hangover.

Pros: breakfast options

Excellent + Very Kind. - Edit

I accidentally forgot to ask for the vegan option and remembered just prior to getting my order. I asked the staff member if she could make a new burger & that I was happy to pay for it. She was very understanding and said she'd make a new one, but didn't want the money. How unbelievably nice!! I always love coming here after a night in the city or before a train trip.

Pros: Yum, Yum , Yum

Junk food heaven - Edit

I had a parma burger, which was every bit as disgusting as it sounds. Poutine always goes down a treat, too. Thumbs up.

Probably the only thing I dislike about LotF is having to ask about what's vegan. Would it be that hard to mark the items on the menu (as pretty much every other place does)?

Pros: Greasy, Salty, Wholly satisfying

You Gotta Love the Fries - Edit

This is my favourite Lord of the Fries as you can grab the food to go, sit over at Federation Square and enjoy the city atmosphere. So many scrumptious sauce options for the fries...and the burgers...well I know for a fact that a lot of people do not even realise they are eating vegetarian/vegan fare and they love the place too :)

Vegan fast food! - Edit

I waited two years to have LOTF again since the first time I had it, so when I was back in Melbourne I binged on all the horrible fried vegan goodness they have. It's great that there's a company out there that serves vegan/vegetarian fast food and which is so good. I recommend this place to everyone.

Pros: Affordable, Great greasy food, Friendly staff

great burgers - Edit

I don't think the fries are very special but everything else is. I love the burgers and nuggets, though nothing is healthy here. Good for fast food. No seats though. Gf options. I wish it was entirely vegan but it is great anyhow.

Cons: no seats , lots of homeless people hanging around , not healthy

LOTF- meets the hype - Edit

I had first visited LOTF in a visit to Melbourne last year and it was the first place my husband and I went to this time around. I was super-excited to go as we were walking towards it my husband (quite fussy with food) suggested I may have overhyped it. We ordered one chilli popper each, he had the spicy burger, I had the guru burger and a box of nuggets and chips with the salsa sauce. The chilli poppers are amazing, and even my husband was impressed. We also enjoyed our burgers and the fries/nugget box. I did want their chocolate mousse but they had run out :(. I'm not a huge fan of the salsa so next time I'd probably skip it. As a Sydneysider I am very jealous of this Melbourne establishment- can't wait til it opens in Sydney! I would give it 4 1/2 cows.

Pros: tasty, vegetarian fast food!

Breaky at the Lord's - Edit

What a delightful treat being able to have a vegan breakie bun for, ahh breaky! They have of course, vegan options, but they also have egg. They even have soy bacon. So particularly if you have recently given up the real deal, this is a great reminder that you don't have to miss out on anything really if you know where to look!

Pros: Tasty, Fresh

Cons: not the healthiest

Love it! - Edit

Greatest chips - Best burgers - Amazing onion rings.
Right in the middle of the city - you cant miss it & shouldn't. Great vegan food.

Pros: Tasty, Amazing, McDonalds for vegans

Cons: Seats only inside station

Amazing fries - Edit

After learning that Australian fries are generally manufactured with tallow, I avoided them during our trip, so by the time we got to Melbourne, I was having a serious fry craving. We went nuts. We ordered a burger each with large servings of fries, one with gravy and vegan cheese (poutine) and the other with Italian. We also got the nuggets with BBQ sauce. The burgers were good, but nothing to write home about, but man, the fries! They were out of this world. They are prepared from scratch with local potatoes (so they can change seasonally too). Even though I eat fries regularly at home in the US, they were really a step above, even plain. The sauces just added to it. And the nuggets! Not like American breaded nuggets. These really looked like nuggets! And super tasty as well. We had an early dinner, so it was rush hour and lots of people were getting food for their train ride home, so there were long lines and the few tables filled up quick, but if you hovered, a spot would open up soon enough.

Pros: unbelievable fries, did I mention the fries?, nuggets

Cons: can get really busy

The other... - Edit

Not open for breakfast but open 10:30am most days.
Tasty like the other lord of fries. Is very good if you are using Flinders Street Station. Beware that on friday and saturday nights they are open late and just before the last trains 12:30am-1:20am they can be very busy.

Pros: Good fast food, gluten free options

Cons: busy location, no breakfast

Return to Melbourne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lord of the Fries - Flinders St closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3001 times since Mar 2008.