Long Life Veggie House

Contact 510-845-6072

2129 University Ave, Berkeley, California, USA, 94704

Serves meat, vegan options available. Berkeley Chinese restaurant. Has a vegetarian menu as well as a fish menu. Lunch special after 11:30am. Cozy, and you might need to share your table.

Category: Chinese, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by vegan girl 24

Great place for a party - Edit

I've had my birthday party here for the last seven years. They have three large tables in the middle that can accommodate 8-10 people each. I call them up a week ahead, then the day before with the exact number of guests. Lots of fun, and they always bring me a complimentary ice cream with a candle :-) If you bring a group, there is a nice 'family style' menu where everyone gets soup and appetizers, then you get a few appetizers depending on the number of people. I always find this is more than enough for the group.

The vegetarian menu is mostly vegan, but be sure to ask about any item you're not sure about. There is plenty of 'fake meat,' but beware that the seafood is real animal.

Pros: Great prices., Good food.

Cons: There are fish there, but at least not swimming ar

Great Chinese Food - Edit

This place is pescatarian but has many strictly vegan dishes.

Excellent vegan Chinese food available here. The venue isn't very fancy but the Mongolian "beef" is the BEST tasting Mongolian beef I've ever had (including versions I've had made with real cow-parts.) The sweet and sour pork is also very "real" tasting. I doubt most carnivores would notice it wasn't real pig.

The price is very good value! Yesterday, we had red wine for two, a pot of tea, two entrees, and rice for two. I tipped well over 20% and still walked out of there paying just $18 for my portion of the sit-down dinner.

Independently run. Waitresses are friendly/funny in a very sassy Chinese way. Sometimes you can see their kids hanging out and playing in the back.

My vegan friends and I go here almost every chance we get.

Pros: faux meats, price, family owned/operated

Cons: venue needs a reno, bathroom gets gross

cheap, tasty food - Edit

Lots of "fake" meat options. Our favorites include broccoli with beef, Mongolian beef (with green onions; mostly "beef"),and anything in either garlic or black bean sauce. Not a fan of the fried egg rolls, or sweet and sour "pork." This is NOT a fully vegetarian restaurant as all the seafood (unless in the vegetarian section) is actual shrimp, fish, etc. so make sure you are clear when ordering that you want only vegetarian. Friendly, hardworking staff. Not a fancy atmosphere with kids running around at times, but this doesn't bother us. Lunch specials run around $5-7 and include either brown or white rice, tea, egg roll and your entree; you get a ton of food! Veggies are always fresh.

Pros: super cheap, very quick service, free tea with meals

Cheap hearty bliss - Edit

Long Life Vegi House offers massive quantities of decent Chinese food for an unbelievable price. During the lunch special hours (which last till 5pm), for under $5, you get soup, tea, a spring roll, and a massive plate of brown rice plus an entree of your choice. It's not the highest quality food, but it's a ton of food, and it's pretty tasty and so ridiculously cheap. This place holds a very special place in my heart. I don't go very often anymore, but Long Life provided a very high percentage of my caloric intake during my college years.

Pros: soooo cheap, sooo much food, quick and easy

Cons: kinda greasy

It will take 20 minutes to go through this menu - Edit

I was was an omni client in Berkeley and I didn't get the sense that he wanted to go vegan, so we opted to try here. The menu is massive and very vegan friendly. Everything is marked vegetarian, but, unless the dish has egg in it, it is vegan. According to our waitress, all of the mock meats are vegan. I got "beef" with broccoli, spicy, with brown rice, in the lunch special, which came with a spring roll and hot and sour soup. Everything was hot, fresh, and tasty. The price was very reasonable. If I were by myself or with vegan friends, I would go somewhere vegan, but this is a very good place for a mixed group.

Pros: Good food, Massive menu, Good prices

Cons: Not 100% vegan

It was ok.. - Edit

We got a lot for our money, but most of it was rice, and my mock pork dish tasted like very overdone fried dough, and the sauce on it was a bit watery.. Hot and sour soup was good, and so was the spring roll.
I would give them another try for sure, like i said it was a filling lunch, and well priced, but a bit off in taste and texture.

Pros: price, quanity

Cons: taste was a bit off, parking (but hey thats berkeley for ya), decor is kinda dirty

Decent food, great price! - Edit

While Long Life might not be gourmet it is good and you can't beat getting a totally filling lunch for only $5! My favorite is the Mongolian beef which is greasy but yummy. It is basically a big pile of veggie beef, onions, green onions, and a spicy sauce atop a huge pile of brown rice and a spring roll that is mainly cabbage and five spice seasoning. it also comes with a pretty decent hot and sour soup and tea. My partner loves the sweet and sour veggie pork special which I think is okay. I'm disappointed to read on another review that the batter they use contains milk which I was told did not because I will often get the orange or lemon veggie chicken when I'm in the mood and the sweet and sour veggie pork is battered as well. Not very happy about that and will inquire again next time I am there. The staff are very friendly and usually have their adorable children hanging out at a back table.

Highly recommended - Edit

My wife and I have been enjoying Long Life Veggie House for many years because it offers decent to very good food (and we're pretty discriminating) for a VERY reasonable price. Lunch, served from 11:30 to 3:00, is an exceptional value: for less than $5, you get a huge amount of food (enough for 2 meals for us) that consists of one dish with brown rice (unless you ask for white), a spring roll, hot-and-sour soup, and tea. Several additional notes: their fake meat is the best we've ever had; the decor is unremarkable -- one large room that can get noisy; service is usually very good, although some of the waitpeople are hard to understand.

All-in-all, a real treasure.

Pros: Decent to very good food, Reasonable prices, LARGE veggie menu

Cons: Decor

My old hangout and a must visit when I'm in town - Edit

I've been going to this restaurant since 1991. It's true that it's not much to look at, it's small, and in the winter there's a draft if you sit too close to the door. It's also true that the menu is hit or miss. But I always get the same thing when I go there. I get the Cashew Vegi-Chicken. Just typing that out brings the delicious taste back to my mouth. So there you go. My sister is always trying to tell me to go to The Great Wall and says it's better, but I always go to Long Life when I'm in Berkeley.

Pros: healthy, several great dishes

Cons: not everything is great there, small place, needs a makeover

fantastic! - Edit

a review hasn't been written for this place in a while, so i need to give it props...
while this restaurant is not entirely vegetarian (serves seafood), i do think they go out of their way to make it a great place for vegetarians and vegans. there are dozens of vegetarian and vegan options on the menu, making it wonderfully difficult to decide what to choose. many mock-meats grace the menu, including vegi-ham, chicken, and beef. they even have a vegi-duck which i have never seen anywhere else (but am a little scared to try.) there are also tofu options and great veggie choices too if you don't dig the fake meat(sauteed 8 assortment is delicious!). non-vegetarians love the long-life veggie chicken, which is a batter fried mock-chicken in a tangy sweet sauce, although this is not vegan (the batter has milk in it.) my personal vegan favorite is the broccoli vegi-ham. so so good, so hearty, with great fresh veggies. each dish costs around $7 and, along with a serving of rice for another $1, is a delicious filling healthy meal. i have been going to this place for 4 years, and have never been disappointed!!
oh, and i don't mind the decor of the place at all. it is a little dark, but there are cool atmostpheric touches all around, and it is a quite large.

Pros: delicious, filling options, kind staff, broccoli vegi-ham!

Return to Berkeley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Long Life Veggie House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2381 times since Aug 2007.