Lola Rosa

• Friend
  • Vegetarian
Contact 514-287-9337

545 Milton, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H2X 1W5

Cozy veggie cafe offering a concise mix of American as well ethnic influenced vegetarian food. The first of 2 Lola Rosa restaurants.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Western, Mexican

First Review by cookiemonster

Delicious

My non-vegan boyfriend and I were in town for a concert and decided we would head out to a vegan-friendly restaurant. This place was the BEST. I had the black bean burrito (made vegan) with rice and salad on the side and it was incredible. My boyfriend had the nachos and said they were amazing!

We are looking forward to going back to Montreal sometime soon so we can go back to this place again!

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Great Staff, Excellent Food

Cons: Needs More Seating

Arrêt obligatoire dans le coin de McGill

Super restaurant végétarien à deux pas de McGill. Le burrito est très bon, mais plusieurs autres plats délicieux à la carte. Quelques bières en fût disponibles. Autre emplacement plus grand sur ave. du Parc.

Cons: Petit et souvent plein à craquer. Assez bruyant.

Tasty!

Absolutely loved this place! If the weather permits, sit on the terrace and enjoy their delicious food. I am vegan and was impressed with the variety of options that they were prepared to veganize. I had the curried vegetables with tempeh - it was the best meal of my entire trip!

Pros: willing to veganize the vegetarian options, scrumptious food, nice location

Worth the wait!

Very busy cafe, popular with university students as it is right by McGill. We went on a Friday evening and waited for a while until a table freed up. There was a constant line to get in the entire time we were there. For appetizer we ordered samosas. They were not typically shaped and had a soft shell, but were excellent. One order comes with two samosas and a salad, making a larger appetiser, or enough to share between two. The main courses again were a good size and also excellent. There was a small but good beer and wine list. The wait staff were genuinely friendly, caring, and attentive. Even though the place was full, with people queuing constantly, the staff maintained their friendliness and excellent service. We were visiting from out-of-province and spoke to a local lady who said this is the best veggie place in Montreal, and that the takeouts are superb. Overall, the samosas are a must-have!

Pros: the samosas

Cons: waiting time

Reasonably priced menu, but LOUD!

Second trip here. Service is good, and the food is good (but not great). Make a reservation, as it is a happening place. I was there for lunch, and the noise was off the charts! I could not hear the person across the table from me! Regardless, I would go back, just not at noon.

Pros: food quality, price, service

Cons: noise levels

Love that place!

I had dinner several times at Lola Rosa Café and each time it was a great experience. The place is small but nice, has a good vibe and a friendly staff. Dishes are not always already vegan but can be made so upon request. Food is well presented, innovative and generous in size. They also have vegan desserts, my favorite was an amazing chocolate cake. The whole is a little pricey but not excessive. I will come back again as soon as possible!

Pros: excellent food, vegan options including desserts, friendly staff, good vibe

Cons: a little pricey

have the hemp burger

found the cafe and just made it to a table as it gets packed. The hemp burger was amazing in its array of flavours. it is noisy but the food is so good it does not matter. great side salad and really good sized meals. small menu but plenty to choose., that will do full vegan on request

Pros: the food, the cost, atmosphere

Cons: noisy, may to have wait for a table

Very cute place, enjoyed the curry

My friend and I went there for dinner and I had a great curry and she had a great hemp burger. A cute touch is that the tables have little drawers in them where people have left notes, we spent half the dinner parsing through them and sharing gems.

Excellent!

J'y suis allée avec mon copain zéro végétarien et il a également adoré. Les plats sont bons, frais et gôûteux! Leur croustade aux pommes est purement mortelle: sucrée, fondante, merveilleuse.

Un plus pour le décor et l'ambiance générale.

true gourmet quality vegetarian food

A person recommended this much smaller branch of Lola Rosa. I was at the front door at 11:30am waiting for them to open as I had been warned that it gets crowded. I ordered the lasagna which was wonderful. It was many different layers, not identical as I normally find at Italian restaurants. One layer was spinach. Within 25 minutes the restaurant was completely packed. It is around 1 block from McGill university and therefore popular at lunch.

Pros: truly excellent food, very nice waiter

Cons: crowded, very noisy

Avoid if you go with small children

This is not a kid-friendly restaurant. The place is indeed small to have high chairs therefore I advised the waiter to suggest the owner to at least have booster seats and he bluntly replied: It is not going to happen. I can ask for you but the owner is not going to do it. Quite disappointing because the food is good and portions are generous.

Pros: Portions size

Cons: Service, Not good for children, Attitude

Amazing Burrito

We went to the location that I am assuming has recently opened on Avenue du Parc. It was a horrible winter day but it was so lovely and warm inside, not just temperature wise but the staff were really spectacular.

We all ordered the burrito. Delcious, creamy sweet potato (?) and black beans, with a side of rice and a salad. My only complaints were that it was a little pricey for what I had and that I wish the portions had been bigger... but if they had then I wouldn't have had room for dessert! Chocolate Brownie: Wow!

Pros: Great Food, Great Staff, Nice rustic interior

Cons: A little pricey, Portions could be bigger, A struggle to think of anything negative

Love the place, love the staff, love the food.

Love the place, love the staff, love the food. The resto is cozy and has little drawers in the tables where people leave messages and whatnot, fun to read while you wait for your delicious food. You do have to be clear that you're vegan if you don't want surprises. The ambiance is cheerfully loud at times, stuffed with McGill students (only two blocks from the gates) and it's not cheap, but it's worth it.

Pros: Excellent food, Cheerful atmosphere, Friendly

My number one place to eat in Montreal

In Montreal for a week for work, I walked up to this place based on the reviews and I wasn't disappointed. The place was packed, it was cosy with a nice warm atmosphere. I asked what was recommended and so tried the tomato pie, which was lovely, decent portion, nice salad, really enjoyable. The price was really reasonable, the staff were friendly and I would highly recommend it.

Pros: Tasty food, Good value, Friendly

Great food / Service

Lola Rosa is a cozy restaurant which I've eaten at on multiple occasions (once in 2009 & twice in 2011).

The menu is very clear which is a plus for a vegan in a restaurant which does serve cheese, etc.

The food was well presented and tasted great. I had the Quesadilla with sweet potato and the black bean Burrito. My girlfriend had the lasagna (not vegan).

The owner / manager was very friendly and remembered us when we came back for a 2nd time.

If you are visiting Montreal it'd be a shame to not visit Lola Rosa.

Pros: Service, Food, Location

As good as always

This was my second visit in a year, and it is as good as ever. This is a small, intimate place with tables for 2 set very close together. If the place is not crowded, it can be a very pleasant experience. However, this time, it was packed with students chatting their heads off, making it impossible for others to ahve any conversation. However, this was more than made up by the excellent sald, and tomato pie that I had. The meal was extremely filling, satisfying and complete in all respects. One of the better vegetarian restaurants in Montreal.

Pros: Choice, Value, Taste

Cons: Noisy

Great first visit, going back soon!

I went here this afternoon for a quick lunch, and enjoyed it very much. The servers were relaxed and friendly, quick to point out the different vegan options on the menu(of which 75% were or could be made vegan). Points for the big carafe of water brought to every table. Decor was as the waiters, relaxed and friendly, but nice enough for a good evening dinner. I chose the Salada Rosa, which came out reasonably quickly, and beautifully arranged. Medley of sprouts, lettuce, olives, oranges, curried chickpeas, long slivers of cucumber, and others in a nice light dijon dressing. The price was good for the quality of food and service, considering food court salad joints serve half of the portions of Lola's for the same price, and with much less presentation and ambience. As mentioned in previous reviews, it was a bit loud, but not in a bad way, as the only background music was people chatting and enjoying their lunch. Great first visit, I will be back to try the vegan quesadillas.

Pros: Ambience, Delicious Food, Good Vegan Selection

Unfortunately, a last resort

I've been to this restaurant quite a few times and I have such mixed feelings about it. See, there's really not much *good* vegan (or vegetarian) food near McGill; Commensal is just a few blocks south, but their menu is static and it is expensive. Other than that, it's just za'atars and pitas and Tim Horton's bagels and over-priced, tasteless Liquid Nutrition soups and sandwiches.

This place could be a veggie oasis but it is very expensive (how do the students afford it?), easily $15/meal. It's more vegetarian than vegan and, I still can't believe this, I was fed a soup containing cream by an inept waiter who didn't know the menu. I don't expect that sort of thing from veg restos.

The service can be slow, and their beautiful space is often packed. The food is quite good, however- I'm a fan of the chili- and the portions are good. I'd like this place more if it were a bit more vegan-friendly and less expensive.

Pros: good food, beautiful decor

Cons: expensive, clueless staff

Laid back cafe

We went to Lola Rosa for dinner once while on holidays in Montreal in June.

We liked the laid back atmosphere in the cafe and the staff was friendly.

The menu which was written on large black boards across the walls didn't indicate which dishes were vegan. But the staff could tell us which dishes were vegan / could be made vegan.

I can't remember what we ate but the food tasted nice.

cozy and crusty

This past weekend I drove from Niagara to Quebec. I used happy cow on my phone to find restaurants near my hotel. Lola Rosa was one of them, very easy to find. I thought the menu was limited and the looking around crowded room at chaulkboard menus was awkward. People keep staring back at you as if you were looking at them because the menu is right behind them. The service was excellent and I thought the price was fair for the large, good tasting portions. It is loud, although not with frat girls as I had hoped. It was mostly filled with a 30+ crowd and some students. It is fairly clean just a little worn but that helps with the character. Next time Im in Montreal, I would probably check out someplace new, but that doesnt mean I wouldnt eat here again.

Pros: great food, great service, cute place

Cons: loud

Cozy place - good desserts & entertainment!

We were in montreal recently and visited this restaurant. It was in the student area near a university, so mostly filled with students and a few faculty members.

It was a bit rough & worn looking on the inside - could have done with a lick of paint and tidying up. I'm sure the kitchen was clean, but i'm a bit finnicky for restaurants looking tidy and fresh.

Anyway, we had apple crumble and it was delicious. The main meal portions were huge, and everyone seemed to be enjoying their food. Good atmosphere.

The service was slow, but perhaps they were short staffed. Nonetheless, there was a constant flow of people in.

The most amusing thing about the restaurant was the entertainment factor! The tables we sat at were old school wooden tables. They had little drawers on them. When we opened the ones at our table, almost 50 people had written various random messages & musings about life on bits of paper, and left them behind in the drawers for other to comment & read! I think the paper they wrote them on, was the paper off the placemat! Anyway, they were hilarious to read and took us back to our student days - it definitely filled the time nicely while waiting to be served.

Pros: Entertaining messages in table drawers, Large portions, Cheap

Cons: Worn-out looking, slow service, Needs fixing up

Cute place

Lola Rosa is a nice restaurant. Simple, cozy and well decorated, close to the Mc Gill Campus. The choice of things you can eat is not huge but all they offer is rather good.
I am not sure how vegetarian oriented the staff is because one did not even know what "rennet" was.
Still, the food is good. A bit expensive but the portions are decent. If you are downtown, it is a good option.

Yay!

I have been there many times and although it's not a very wallet friendly place, the food is absolutely awesome, decent and nutricious vegan options and desserts and a very sweet environment. Waiters are nice and the drawers of the tables have messages!

Cozy, often busy, but always good

I have been to Lola Rosa 4 times, and each time was a pleasure. It has got to be the friendliest restaurant I have been to in Montreal. Although it is an expensive lunch at about 10, the chalkboard menu and the fact that practically all the choices are the same price make it convenient for splitting the bill and for deciding what to try. I found the portions to be generous and really flavorful. The decor has a lot of ambiance and although it can be busy and loud at lunch time, it is a fun convivial atmosphere. They were also baby friendly. I've always wanted to try one of their desserts, but I'm always too full after the meal.

Pros: delicious food, great range of choices

Cons: cash only, high price

Good

I went here on a lunch date and it was perfect. Nice atmosphere, very nice staff, and delicious food. I had heard the portions were small and that the vegan selection was limited but I think maybe that has changed. Even with a vegan/wheat-free/potato-free diet there was lots for me to eat. The prices are a little high ($10-11 a dish) but very good and organic and wonderful. I found the portions to be medium sized, perfect for lunch.

Pros: good food, nice atmosphere, nice staff

Cons: a little pricey

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lola Rosa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 10422 times since Aug 2007.