Localita and the Badasserie

• Vegan
Contact 213-623-3223

817 S Los Angeles St (at 8th, downtown LA), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90014

A kiosk in the lobby of Academy Awards Clothes building in downtown. Offers comfort food including prepared vegan sandwiches, salads, and smoothies. Its signature is a breakfast sandwich made of veg sausage, soy-free cheese, chipotle sauce and maple syrup served on a multigrain English muffin. This location is fully vegan; its other outlets are not.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Fast food, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by sheizlegend

Best Vegan Breakfast In a Long Time - Edit

Ran down a few blocks to make it there and was pleased with the menu upon arrival. I was not impressed however by the appearance of the kitchen area (did not look clean) and the gentleman at the counter did not seem knowledgeable about ingredients.I had to check if GF items were also vegan and couldn't get a straight answer. This was odd at a restaurant that claims that it is fully vegan. I had the sprouted bagel with cream cheese, I almost passed out.. it was so good I couldn't believe I was in LA and not NYC. My husband had the ruben, holy smokes that thing was way too good.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 23, 2016

Pros: Large menu, Fully Vegan

Cons: hygiene, un-knowledgeable staff

Yum Yum - Edit

You might walk by this little "hole in the wall" restaurant but you'll be disappointed if you do! Visiting LA I gave it a try. The "bad#!@" breakfast sandwich was outstanding. I also ordered the "Quinoa Kid" for later. Demolished it. Young lady working there was very kind and helpful. Uncommon location for this kind of restaurant but worth the walk.

Pros: Entire menu is vegan

so lucky to have this kiosk downtown - Edit

I design burlesque costumes and am downtown in the garment district all the time. I had no idea this little vegan kiosk was right here all this time! Hard to find your first time but worth it. Bathroom, kind staff, vegan smoothies salads sandwiches and comfort food. Were so lucky this spot is in the downtown districts!

Pros: location

Cons: hard to fine first time

Tasty comfort food - Edit

We stopped by Localita for lunch while in the area, and we were very pleased. Sandwiches had great flavor (I loved the "Pulled Porky" BBQ jackfruit sandwich).

We very much appreciate their use of organic and non-GM ingredients as well as local artisan breads with gluten-free options.

Service was very friendly and we had no trouble getting a metered parking spot in front of the place. We would definitely return if in the neighborhood.

Pros: Great flavor , organic and non-GM ingredients, friendly local owners, free wifi

Best junk food - Edit

I've been wanting to try out this location for a while now after reading descriptions of how this is vegan "comfort" food. The first time I looked for it I spent 10 minutes walking up and down the street trying to find it because it was so tiny and hard to find (hint: there's going to be a sign on the outside near a cross walk).

The first sandwich I tried was the "Sir Nasty" and it was delicious. I haven't had a breakfast sandwich since I went vegetarian years ago and the sausage tasted just like I remembered.

I've tried three sandwiches so far and they've all been very greasy, which is great for me. I'm guessing that even with the oil and cheese it's still a whole lot healthier than non-vegan breakfast sandwiches.

I live about 20 minutes away from downtown and I've driven there three times in three weeks to buy something. The location is very tiny but there is some seating and it never seems crowded on the weekends in the afternoon.

I'm trying to support this location since the first time I went there I barely got there when they had shut off the oven, but they reheated it just so I can try it. After that every employee has been friendly.

Pros: Great food, Friendly employees

Cons: No parking/traffic, Small location

breakfast sandwiches - Edit

Finally made it to Localita and the Badasserie. We live near the original Locali which isn't all vegan, so we were excited to check out the all vegan offerings here. They specialize in breakfast sandwiches although they carry a couple of others, including their famous reuben. Since we've had the Bad Ass before, we tried the Sir Nasty, Luigi Lover and Tiki Time breakfast sandwiches. The Sir Nasty was our favorite although the other two were excellent as well. Their motto is "eat nice, live naughty". They are pure vegan junk food, so they live up to their motto. Their space is tiny, but there's a few stools and a tiny table down the hallway. We also had an iced coffee and a candy girl smoothie. Very good. I just wish they were more conveniently located. The metered street parking out front is very expensive too. Their sandwiches are worth it though.

Pros: vegan breakfast sandwiches, friendly service

Cons: parking

Delicious Vegan food - Edit

I ate here for breakfast with my husband. I had the Badass Breakfast Sandwich with Russian dressing instead of chipotle. It was really tasty. My husband had the Luigi Lover without cheese which he thoroughly enjoyed.
I also got a Reuben sandwich to go - it was really delicious, I wish I ordered two!! I ate it on the plane back home so couldn't go back for more. The staff are lovely too! If you are downtown I'd recommend a visit!

Pros: good selection of foods, items can be removed or replaced, friendly staff

Cons: location, very small

Great stop for a quick meal - Edit

This little stall is an amazing option in this area. While I likely wouldn't drive here from far just to eat, if you're anywhere in downtown already and want a quick something this is your place. They have a few sandwiches options, I only tried the "famous" Reuben, and it was made to perfection! They throw this together in a couple minutes and have it down. Very tasty. I also tried one of their smoothies and added some cacao nibs. It was yummy.
I look forward to trying their other options next time I'm downtown.

Pros: Yummy

Cons: Small space

Best vegan reuben, hands down! - Edit

A hole-in-the-wall place in the Fashion District with excellent sandwiches. The reuben sandwich is amazing, and the barbecue sandwich (on the pretzel bun) is also great.

Pros: Great food

Cons: Tiny place

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Localita and the Badasserie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6208 times since Aug 2012.