Locali

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 323-466-1360

5825 Franklin Ave (at Hollywood area), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90028

Billed as a "conscious convenience store," this is a little neighborhood market and deli. Offers a varied range of products from snacks to supplements, beer and wine, ready-to-eat meals. The deli counter offers a menu of sandwiches and salads for take away (no seating). Many vegan products including vegan candy bar, vegan cheese, eco products, and frozen foods.

First Review by Sonja and Dirk

healthy, delicious, good price - Edit

I did some hiking around Griffith park and found Locali were nearby. Bought a drink and some vegan cookies, as well as a grilled sandwich. I was starving so this really hit the spot. Staff were very friendly too.
The price seemed reasonable as well.

Best ever breakfast sandwich! - Edit

My husband and I visited Locali on our recent trip to Los Angeles. We found out through Happy Cow that it was a short walk from our hotel and decided to go there on our first night to see what they had to offer. The shop is only small but they stock plenty of items, many of which I've not had chance to try before so I was pretty excited! We ended up getting a Reuben sandwich to share which we ate in the small seated area. It was really tasty and they were very generous with the filling. We bought a few other things to take back to the hotel with us: a tub of ice cream, a couple of chocolate bars and beer. We liked it so much we ended up going back another 3 times, twice for sandwiches from the deli counter and once for more sweet supplies. Our final visit was on our last morning, ever since seeing the Baaadasss breakfast sandwich on the menu the first night I had decided that I must have one before going home! It was amazing, one of the best things I've ever eaten. Definitely something I'm going to try and re-create at home! The staff there were very nice and even gave us some free spicy tortilla-style crisps on one of our visits. Highly recommended!

Pros: Amazing food, Good choice of items, Friendly staff

Lovely shop with really nice, helpful staff - Edit

Luckily, I can walk to this great store. They have a nice variety of food, wine/beer, and household items for sale, plus a deli with food made to order and yummy vegan cupcakes. The staff is first-rate, always greeting patrons with a smile and willing to help out.

Pros: good selection, great staff, easy to find

Best Vegan Reuben In Town - Edit

A lot of places in LA and the valley make a vegan reuben. But Locali's is the hands down best tasting as well as the best looking. It because of that and the Baaadasss Breakfast Sandwich that I hit this place at least once a week. P.S. Vegan BLT ain't bad either.

Pros: Great sandwiches, Friendly staff, Great selection of convenience items

Cons: Small space., Not the best seating., Can get busy with long wait times.

Small but very well stocked - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and have stopped in one time. Here's my Locali review.

Was in the neighborhood and thought to stop in. I was impressed.

The shop is very small but super well stocked. They sells so many things, including lots of vegetarian and vegan friendly products and food. There snacks, candies, alcohol, deli, refrigerated case, freezer, and all sorts of stuff. The prices are higher than the chain stores because it's an independently-owned and a convenience store.

I didn't get anything from the deli, but the menu looked impressive. There's lots of meat stuff, but there is also many vegetarian and vegan friendly choices. Next time I return, I will try something from the deli.

Pros: parking lot in front, well stocked, veg friendly

Vegan friendly convenience store with sandwiches - Edit

Locali is to Whole Foods as 7-11 is to, say, Vons. As a convenience store, it is even pricier than its grocery store counterpart, so be prepared. There are a lot of great vegan and "natural" foods and vegan prepared foods from A Taste of Life, Rahel's Ethiopian, and several others. But the real gem of Locali is their deli, preparing many amazing vegan sandwiches. Yes, it's an omnivore deli counter, but they are super-vegan-friendly, with I think more vegan sandwiches than meat sandwiches. Their tempeh BLT is like the real thing. I don't know how they do it. It is amazing! I have never had a sandwich that wasn't good here. Also, while the groceries are overpriced, I think the sandwich pricing is actually pretty reasonable for what you get.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 21, 2010

Pros: Convenient, Great sandwiches, Very vegan friendly

Cons: Pricey, Caters to omnivores as well

The "go to" place for vegan treats in hollywood - Edit

Locali is a pretty amazing place. Everything is organic, mostly local. You can get goodies from just about any vegan restaurant in the LA area in their fridge. They've got stuff from Mcafe/Follow your Heart, etc. If you were only on a short trip here you could kill a lot of birds with one stone by going here. They've got great slurpees, and hot food made to order. The staff and owners are extremely nice and helpful. Prices are a little high, which is to be expected with organic high end convenience. Beer and wine select is amazing, too. Tons of fun eco odds and ends as well. I can't wait until one of these is on every corner!

Pros: tons of hard to find vegan stuff, lots of prepared food from local vegans, beer/wine

Cons: a tad bit pricey

One of my favorites! - Edit

It's tiny, but jam-packed with veggie awesomeness. Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Huge selection of products, from frozen goods to skin care and detergent.

The deli stuff is super tasty. While it's expensive ($10 sandwiches), the portions are ridiculous. The sandwiches are huge!

The "#1 club" is tasty, but the Rueben is where it's at. It is literally, the best veganized thing I've ever ate. If I had to pick one thing to eat for the rest of my life, I might choose Locali's vegan Rueben.

They are slow; expect to wait 10 minutes or more for your sandwich. If there's a line, it'll be longer, since they apparently can only cook one hot sandwich at a time. And, if you order the breakfast burrito, bring a (long) book. It literally took 35 minutes and I was the only customer there.

Still, best vegan sandwiches in LA, by a mile. Worth the wait and the price!

Pros: Mind-blowing Vegan Reuben!, Massive selection of vegan options, Friendly, sincere staff

Cons: Slow!, Spendy!, Could use more seating

Nice little place - Edit

I'm withholding a star only because they sell a meat item or two. This place was jam packed with vegan goodies. I liked how they had food from Rahel Ethiopian in their refrigerated section--but you can find that a block away at Real Live Raw, too.

I don't live in the area, and have been there only once, so maybe this isn't always a problem, but I found that I had to wait a long time to pay for my purchase--the people behind the counter seemed to be very busy. And there were only a few people in the store.

Pros: great selection

Cons: long wait for cashier

Packed full for a little store - Edit

We stopped by Locali yesterday for the first time which is pretty pathetic since we live in the neighborhood and didn't know about it! It's a small store, but the whole place was packed full of stuff. Some of the items you can get elsewhere, but I hadn't seen a few items before. We went for the vegan cheeses and bought Daiya, Teese and Sheese. Awesome I can get those so close to me. The wine and beer selection seemed good as well, but we didn't buy any at this time. I just wish they didn't have meat for sale as well.

Pros: vegan cheeses, a lot for a little store, easy parking

Cons: small space, sells meat

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Locali closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1254 times since Mar 2009.