Local Sprouts Cafe

Contact 207-899-3529

649 Congress St, Portland, Maine, USA, 04101

Serves meat, vegan options available. Organic cafe established 2007. Offers veg menu items as well as some vegan baked goods. Has Wi-Fi. Open Mon 8:00am-3:00pm, Tue-Sat 8:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by bunnyfarts

I'm torn. - Edit

Great atmosphere! Cool vibe. Vegan Carrot Cake was great! But my husband's vegan chocolate cupcake was almost inedible! Go for the carrot cake and vibes!

Pros: Lots of Vegan Options, Some amazing stuff

Cons: Some very disappointing stuff

Delightful place, mediocre breakfast - Edit

So, I really love this place for its politics, people, feel, aesthetic, location, and making a genuine effort to have good vegan options.

Unfortunately, the vegan tofu scramble was super boring and bland, and needed a ton of hot sauce and salt to be at all interesting. The home fries ($3 additional, with toast) were bland and uninteresting. The toast itself was delicious, but it's a sad statement when the bread and Earth Balance are the best part of your meal.

I'll give them another shot for lunch or dinner, because I love the place, but I just wasn't impressed this morning.

===
Updated from previous review on Saturday January 23, 2016

UPDATE: I went back the next evening for a sandwich, a VLT, which was tastier, but still not overwhelming. Same delightful staff and vibe. If I could change my rating to 3.5*, I would, but I still couldn't bump it up to 4*.

Pros: Awesome politics, Delightful vibe and aesthetic, E For Effort

Cons: bland food, Unimaginative food

Vegan friendly cafe - Edit

How lovely to have a cafe with vegan baked goods packing the cooler and display areas! That is what brought me here while in Portland. They have many vegan items and a good selection of vegan, gluten-free selections, including some from the Bam Bam Bakery. The granola bars are fun, and don't forget to try the caramel coconut bar. Oh, and wash it all down with an almond milk maple latte. Heck yeah!

The hours are kind of strange, as on Monday, they are open morning and into the mid-afternoon, but then not open for dinner? The rest of the week is easier to make sense of the schedule. There is vegan brekkie/ brunch, like a tofu scramble or burrito. If you need a gluten-free wrap, you're in luck. The lunch and dinner options are standard American style tofu and tempeh wraps, noodle bowls and stir fry. Don't forget the veggies with some good vegan salads - there's a map near the entrance that identifies where some food sources are located in the state. Cool! Simple, no-fuss food that is vegan and gluten-free friendly.

When ringing up at the counter, be careful! If you are like me, you may end up buying some raw snacks (kale, nuts) or gluten-free vegan baked goods or chocolate or coffee! Great choices for dining in and taking food to go.

Pros: Marks vegan, Vegan, gluten-free baked goods, Maple latte

Cons: Strange hours on Monday

One of the best in town - Edit

Local Sprouts is one of the best vegan-friendly places in Portland, Maine. There are more options than most places and the food is fresh and locally sourced. It's an employee-owned business and very friendly atmosphere. Favorite dishes are: Bones Salad (ask them to sub tempeh for feta); Tofu Scramble; Vegan Mac (add shiitakes!); Vegan Moon Burger; VLT....AND they're the only good vegan bakery in town. Almost all of the baked goods are vegan.

Pros: Delicious Food, Fun Atmosphere, Fresh Food

Cons: Serves meat , Sometimes the kitchen takes a long time

Great food! - Edit

I went here for breakfast and ordered the tofu scramble...it was awesome! The coffee was also great, and I was happy to see they offer unsweetened almond milk if you wanted a latte or cappuccino or other fun coffee drinks. It's a cozy little place, and their menu was full of vegan dishes that I wish I could have ordered them all! Everything looked good, including the amazing array of vegan baked goods. The staff was very friendly, as well!

Pros: Good food, Lots of vegan options, Friendly staff

Great spot for vegans - Edit

We stopped in for a quick lunch and loved it. Quite a few vegan options and lots of vegan treats (cookies, brownies, cake). They also have a little play area for kids which is really nice. Check it out!

Pros: Great atmosphere, Several vegan options, Great vegan desserts

Hell yeah, Local Sprouts - Edit

Local Sprouts is fantastic and I wish that I could give it five stars. There are great vegan options such as their VLT (it's a tempeh BLT), tempeh miso wrap, vegan mac (I'd sacrifice a limb to eat this all the time) and the best vegan desserts that I've ever had (pumpkin maple whoopie pie, anyone?). The staff is really friendly and the food comes out quickly. Portion sizes are great and they know how to use ingredients well. The food is pretty healthy, too! My boyfriend and I like to go here when we have a few extra bucks because it's got everything we could ever want in a restaurant :D

Pros: SUCH GOOD FOOD AND DESSERT, Really nice staff, Big portions

Cons: No cons!

Good place for a vegan breakfast. - Edit

I can only comment on breakfast, but it was good. It's not easy to find scrambled tofu, and this one was full of greens and veggies. My wife and I were pleased with the large number of vegan options, and I'd go back.

Pros: They have a vegan breakfast!

Cons: Nil

Ok - Edit

Went with 2 young kids, a baby and 4 adults on Saturday night. There was a live music performance, so not particularly easy to talk. You read the menu and then order and pay at the counter. Someone will send the food to you. We had sesame noodle. Didn't taste sesame, except for it did have some sesame. The tofu was too salty. The children had mac and cheese under the children menu. It was big enough for two children under 5. We had potatoes wedges, but the children complaint that they were spicy. i loved the garlic sauce though. My non-vege friends said their meals were a bit too spicy too. They have a small place for children to play. This is really nice. I would still go there if i have non-vege friends eating with us and bringing children.

Pros: *

Cons: *

just okay - Edit

I really wanted to like this place. We ordered the peanut sauce tofu with veggies and noodles and it was really awful. hardly any veggies and just a big mound of noodles with bland sauce. I should have sent it back. My husband ordered the Mexican black beans and salsa and he couldn't eat it. I went back and tried the cinnamon buns and they were just okay too.

Breakfast - Edit

I went twice for breakfast during my stay in Portland. They have a wide variety of vegan pastries like scones and delicious cinnamon buns. I also went back and got pancakes which were very yummy! They have a big selection of vegan cookies from a nearby bakery that were really good. I love Local Sprouts!

Pros: Good food, Vegan pastries

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Local Sprouts Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5076 times since Oct 2010.