CLOSED: Local Healthy Tapas & Sake

1907 Harbor Blvd, Costa Mesa, California, USA, 92627

Serves meat, vegan options available. This place offers tapas-style fish, chicken, and Japanese vegan dishes with labels. Since Mar 2016 and still operating as of late-June (despite rumors of closing). Reported closed, Apr 2017. Open Mon 5:30pm-10:00pm, Wed-Sun 12:00pm-2:30pm, Wed-Thu 5:30pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:30pm-10:30pm, Sun 5:30pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by Veganbloke

Great Food, with Patience - Edit

Loved the food, primarily Vegan. Well presented for both the Ramen, Burgers, Tapas. Would highly recommend the Rice Burgers, and Tofu specials (really great with Ponzu), also liked the vegatables (Brussel Sprouts with Walnuts). The Nachos were good, but more like Indian food flavors. Drinks and Sake both well done. That said, they need more help, having one person in the front of the house really slowed things down. Hope this place makes it, the server was pleasant and great to deal with, she just can't handle all the jobs in the front of the house. Look forward to returning.

Pros: Excellent food, and variety, Pleasant waitress, Nice environment

Cons: Speed of service

Skip It - Edit

For a place that has "healthy" in its name, I expected more fresh, whole-food options. Every dish we ordered was overly oily. That being said, I picked at the food but let hungry and unsatisfied. The price point was also rather high for the portions, especially for dessert.

The restaurant was slow and so was the service. My friend and I waited for 15 minutes to receive the menu, then 25 more minutes for her food to come out (my dish came out 15 minutes after hers). We also waited about 15 minutes after asking for the check, plus additional time waiting to receive our cards back.

I wanted to support a local spot with a ton of vegan options, but there are so many other options, I will not be returning.

Pros: Vegan Options

Cons: Slow Service, Unappetizing Food, Disproportionate Portion/Price Ratio

fresh food in Costa Mesa - Edit

So today Buttercup and I needed a day of adventure together so I found this awesome spot to have late lunch/early dinner.
I
What a cute little place, the Decor was clean and nice. Our waitperson was nice and attentive made a good recommendation for lunch special.

We ordered the pumpkin appetizer and then checked in for the check in special appetizer, a marinated tofu. The tofu was really good firm with ginger and an excellent soy based sauce. The pumpkin was delicious it had a miso marinade and was very well seasoned and had a good texture.

I ordered the "steak" lunch special and a Buttercup ordered the Ramen. The lunch special came with miso soup salad, the steak which was a grain based patty that was served with a spicy ketchup, okra and marinated lotus root. I'm not a fan of plain okra but Buttercup really liked it. And the lotus root was a pretty good contrast and made the okra more interesting. The salad was good and not overly dressed. The Raman what I had was very good nice flavor and plenty of noodles and veggies.

Overall the experience was really good, check them out .

Pros: fresh farm to table, they serve wine and things! , they offer meat so you can take non veg friends

Cons: they offer meat

Great Spot! - Edit

Minimal ambiance. Place was almost deserted when we arrived. Quiet while I was there, but attentive waitress. food interesting, unusual and fun. Will hopefully be back to check out more things in their happy hours.

Pros: Some weird stuff I've never eaten before!, Nice ambiance

Cons: Serve some fish (not sure about other meat)

Return to Costa Mesa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Local Healthy Tapas & Sake closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.