CLOSED: Local Habit

Contact 619-795-4770

3827 5th Ave (at Hillcrest district), San Diego, California, USA, 92103

Serves meat, vegan options available. Trendy restaurant with an emphasis on organic and local produce and microbrews, located in the heart of Hillcrest neighborhood. Offers vegan cheese and other substitutions. Reported closed to HappyCow Oct 2015.

Category: Lacto, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by richieandmona

no longer vegan friendly- have a couple vegetarian items. - Edit

We read the review here from years ago claiming they were began friendly. Even yelp reviews claimed they had options from a few months ago.

Turns out they renovated and reopened last month- changing their focus to a Creole variety. They no longer have any vegan options or friendly substitutions. They have a few vegetarian items, such as pizzas and appetizers.

Highlight of my trip - Edit

We only spent 1 day in San Diego and the very last place we stopped was Local Habit. The service was really friendly and welcoming. The food menu is on the small side but everything looked delicious. They serve meat and cheese but about 2/3 of the menu can be made vegan and is clearly marked. We had an eggplant pizza made vegan with their house-made vegan cheese (tapioca-based). Delicious! In addition to the veg cheese they also brew there own kombucha and sell take-away growlers of it or by the glass. An interesting list of craft beers on tap too. More than the really amazing, yummy pizza, we loved the vibe of this place--trendy but really warm. If you're in the area give it a try!

Pros: good atmosphere, house-made veg cheese, interesting options

Cons: small menu

Trendy Spot - Edit

This restaurant is fairly new, so I don't think they have all the kinks worked out, yet. I'm sure it'll get better with time, especially if vegans frequent the restaurant more often. I've only been there once, but am intrigued enough to go back despite the shabby service (think our server was new), the so-so tomato & onion bread pudding appetizer, and the terrible vegan fudge "brownie". My vegan pizza was quite good and there are many other vegan options I look forward to tasting.

Pros: Many Vegan Options, Vegan Cheese Available, Community Values

Cons: Still Some Kinks to Work Out, Street Parking

Return to San Diego Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Local Habit closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2507 times since Aug 2011.