Lo Que Hay Cafe

Contact 999-924-5472

Calle 55 no. 533 entre 64 y 66 Centro (at Hotel MedioMundo), Merida, Mexico, 97000

Opened Jan 2014, this pool-side vegan restaurant at the Hotel MedioMundo is open to the public. Offers a daily changing 3-course dinner meal inspired by world regions using fresh produce. Lo Que Hay translates to "what there is." Free Wi-Fi. Tue-Sat 7:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan, International, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by

charming, delicious and very unique! - Edit

This space has such lovely vibes - the outdoor terrace with gardens is very charming!

The menu changes daily, which is exciting! I loved having several courses and lots of fresh, local, organic ingredients. Everything had so much flavour!

The staff are so friendly and welcoming!
I can't wait to come back when I am in Merida again!!!

Keep sharing your amazing vegan food and awesome vibes with the world!!!

Highly Recommend!! - Edit

My family and I enjoyed several amazing meals here and it was hard not to plan to eat here every night. They open for dinner at 7 in the courtyard garden of a hotel. Every night the food is different, fresh and delicious. Included in $15 per person is a 3 course meal plus dessert plus drink ( non alcoholic, refilled constantly). So cheap. Organic ( really rare to find in this city) tasty greens are in the salad. The owners are hosts of the dinner and happy to talk about the food or not. Everything we had was great. Absolutely a gem. Go here if you get the opportunity. You will be happy.

Pros: variety, quality, affordable

Cons: really nothing

Superb! - Edit

I had a wonderful dinner tonight with...myself at Lo que hay cafe. Everything was just so great from the welcome and arrival to the patio and pool, the explanations on the 2 menus (that you can mix if you like), the inventivity and the quality of the food (all vegan), the service and the moderate price. I had the second menu: fresh salad, lemon sauteed potatoes with ceviche, moussaka and mango sorbet, all with refillable tamarind juice. 160 pesos. Tomorrow I try the first menu.

Pros: Service, Creativity, Surrounding

Cons: Nothing

Que romantico - Edit

Wow, this place is gorgeous. Beautiful, candlelit courtyard away from the street, and great food. When we went, it was Mexican cuisine night - a great start, as it can be hard as a vegan to find Mexican food. They served us a delicious lentil/plantain soup, followed by ceviche, three great tacos and chocolate avocado mousse for dessert. Perfect place for a date night - even if your date isn't vegan (my carnivore friends loved it).

Pros: Gorgeous ambience, Great food, All vegan

Delicious and Nutritious! - Edit

I dined at this wonderful little gem of a restaurant last evening. It happened to be my Thanksgiving meal. The theme was raw and it was amazing. Soup, appetizer, entree and desert were all very good. Raw pumpkin pie! My waiter was very polite and went out of his way to make me feel comfortable. My entire meal was only 150 pesos (about 11.00 USD) Not very expensive at all compared to a raw, vegan meal in the states. If I'm ever in Merida again, I will eat all of my dinners here. They don't open until 7pm, but there is nice shopping nearby.

First rate dining (and breakfast) - Edit

I stayed in Merida for 2 nights and had 2 dinners and one breakfast there. First night was the Italian cuisine and it was one of the very best meals I ever had in a restaurant. The second night was Caribbean cuisine and it was not as satisfying to me as the Italian one. However, I don't expect every night to be a huge success especially when they are experimenting with great food.

The second night I sat by the pool and it great. The wait person could speak English and service was great.

The breakfast had some standard items like the fresh juice and fruit but the bread and the toppings were freshly made and were fantastic.

The prices were 150 pesos for dinner and 120 pesos for the breakfast which while not backpacker friendly if one does not mind a little 'splurging' once in a while, are great values.

I read on internet that the hotel has been on sale for some time and I do really hope this restaurant survives in its vegan form as it is such a rare gem.

Pros: Different cuisine every night, Nice patio or poolside setting, Very nice and friendly service staff

Cons: can't think of any

Vegan found in Merida!!! - Edit

I agree with all the reviews. This is a must for vegan in Merida. Everything was delicious, the wait staff was wonderful and knowledgeable and the price was right. My only suggestion would be to have some good, simple house wines available.

Pros: fresh produce, variety, price

Cons: no wine!

Delicious food in amazing patio - Edit

It's incredibly delicious! Go there to dine and you will end up happy :-) They serve 3 dishes and have every day a special theme: e.g. greek, indian, mexican. The young cook is a native hindu-libanese and she is full of new great ideas. The ambient is beautiful - located in a old mexican patio. The menu coats 150 mexican pesos, a special juice included. It's probably a little difficult to find the restaurant, you have to ring a bell to let be in. Go there it's really worth it!

Pros: Delicious, Menu of 3 dishes, Beautiful location

Cons: Not easy to find

Recommended - Edit

The night I visited there was a choice of a Lebanese or Japanese menu. The Lebanese offerings were sold out so I opted for Japanese. The sushi was incredible and the stir fry amazing. Great flavors. Portions are not huge, but for all inclusive at 150 pesos, it's a fair price. I went back again and had Indian. The Japanese offerings suited my tastes better but it was still quite good. I would go back again. The owners (who also own the small hotel the restaurant is located in) are very engaged in the business and very attentive. The atmosphere is nice and relaxing. You have to ring to get into the hotel, but the area around the property is by no means dangerous. It's just added security for the guests. I would recommend this place.
Updated from previous review on Friday August 22, 2014

Updated from previous review on Friday August 22, 2014

Pros: Price , Food , Service

Cons: A little tough to find

The Perfect Vegan Oasis! :D - Edit

Lo Que Hay Cafe serves a set menu inspired by a different ethnic cuisine in a beautiful outdoor patio located within Hotel MedioMundo.

Check out the Facebook page if you care to know which cuisine will be served. It's the first all-vegan restaurant in the city and it is rated #1 out of all 340 restaurants in Merida listed on TripAdvisor for a reason.

Vegan or not, you can't miss it, it's paradise on a plate.
It's 3-4 blocks from the main square.

Pros: Delicious ethnic food and price., International concept., Atmosphere and service.

Return to Merida Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lo Que Hay Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2715 times since Feb 2014.