CLOSED: Lo Que Hay Cafe

• ( 55 reviews )

Calle 55 no. 533 entre 64 y 66 Centro (at Hotel MedioMundo), Merida, Mexico, 97000

Opened Jan 2014, this pool-side vegan restaurant at the Hotel MedioMundo is open to the public. Offers a daily changing 3-course dinner meal inspired by world regions using fresh produce. Lo Que Hay translates to "what there is." Free Wi-Fi. Reported closed November 2021.

Categories: Vegan, International, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by AlexIsolex

ViktoriaNieva-Gomez

Points +408

14 Jun 2021

Beautiful place

Lovely vegan outdoor restaurant as part of a small hotel. Tasty food and pleasant staff.

Pros: Tasty vegan food in romantic setting

Cons: No parking

VeganWithAPassport

Points +1806

07 Jan 2021

Full of flavor

Seriously one of my favorite restaurants I've ever visited. Had the Caribbean platter for 200 pesos which came with a lot of food, chickpea pancakes stuffed with veggies and topped with tomato chutney, cuban bowl with coconut rice, lentil ceviche, spiced tea, and the best cake I've ever had: plantain cake. Also the restaurant is GORGEOUS and the staff is friendly.

Pros: A wide variety of food, Huge portions, Instagram worthy restaurant

Jacky1989

Points +373

25 Oct 2020

Good food, great location

the food we had was OK, always wanted to try mole :), but the location was amazing. Lots of plants around you and a massive mango tree in the middle. Staff were very friendly.

BrittanyMExplores

Points +341

Herbivore
05 Mar 2020

Decent Vegan Food

Lo Que Hay is a vegetarian and vegan restaurant located inside the Media Mundo Hotel close to the historic centre in Merida. To enter, you have to ring the bell on the door and somebody will let you in and show you to the restaurant.

I visited here for lunch during my stay in Merida. It can be difficult to find plant based food in Mexico so I was pleased to discover this place. Their lunch menu featured limited options, however, and I had visited hoping to have the themed meal. I had read online that there is a set menu with a different cuisine theme every day, but I guess this only applies to dinner (which I believe is only available starting at 7 pm) and not lunch, which was not made completely clear online or on the restaurant’s Facebook page. I ended up ordering the guacamole and the enchiladas. Everything tasted pretty good, though the portions were quite small and the dishes were lacking some flavour. I also had the tamarind juice, which I wasn’t a huge fan of, as it was not sweetened at all (unlike the tamarind juices I have tried elsewhere in Mexico). The prices of the food were excellent!

The tables were situated in a beautiful courtyard around a pool and with lots of tropical plants around. It was very pretty! The atmosphere was peaceful and I was one of the only people there at the time. The service was friendly and attentive. I enjoyed finding a veggie friendly restaurant in Merida but wished they offered the themed meal at lunch too!

Pros: Vegan and vegetarian restaurant , Beautiful courtyard with plants , Friendly staff and service

Cons: Small portions , Themed meal not offered at lunch , Food lacking in some flavour

miahluwalia

Points +93

18 Feb 2020

Great food in quiet setting

Nice courtyard in a hotel that does a three course set menu as well as additional options, such as vegan 'chicken' nuggets. You can also order items from the set menu separately. The set menu changes daily. Saturday night was Mexican night. Only reason it is not a five star review is that two of the tacos were a little bit disappointing, especially when the others were so good. Worth making a reservation as it is quite small.

SophyMorts

Points +58

15 Feb 2020

Average food

Below average food. I had some small plates - gazpacho, tortilla, quesadillas. The gazpacho was ok but it’s hard to go wrong with that. The tortilla and quesadillas were unflavoured and basic. It’s a really beautiful hotel and restaurant, with outdoor seating, just not great food!

Pros: vegan hotel and restaurant , Cheap , Pretty hotel

Cons: Boring food, Basic , Unflavoured

JillBelsanPoston

Points +63

08 Feb 2020

Enjoyed our lunch

Small plates of vegan breakfast and lunch. Menu changes daily. Pretty outdoor seating. Attentive staff. Great food. Plan to go back before we leave town

Pros: Reasonably priced, pretty setting, good food

Cons: A few bugs because we were outside

ilsemarel

Points +53

05 Feb 2020

Delicioso y bonito lugar

Es un café que se encuentra dentro del hotel Medio Mundo. Hay un menú completo que cambia todos los días. Nos tocó el tailandés y estuvo delicioso. Incluye entrada, plato fuerte, bebida y postre, todo con la misma temática. La atención es excelente y tiene un jardín con fuente muy bonito y lleno de paz.

Pros: El jardín y la fuente , Buena atención, Delicioso

GiusVaghi

Points +44

05 Feb 2020

Muy bonito el lugar

El lugar está padrísimo , la comida 100 % vegana y rica , muy buen servicio , precios accesibles , todo bien , muy buen lugar y bien ubicado en el cey de Mérida.

Pros: Lugar agradable, Buena ubicación, Está muy rico

hellafe

Points +18

12 Jan 2020

Amazing Food

The location is cute, the food is really good and the service was very nice. They seem to have a daily changing menu. Can definitely recommend this place, especially because it’s off the main tourist tracks.

AdrianaHuerta

Points +38

24 Dec 2019

Great restaurant

This restaurant is a good option in downtown Merida. The diner dishes were quite large and really tasty. The prices are good, and the staff is very kind.

Glit Antonling

Points +52

18 Dec 2019

Excellent!

This place is located in a cosy garden of a hostel, stuff is very friendly and food is delicious. We really recommend it.

Pros: excellent food, friendly stuff, good value

AlanGallart

Points +50

09 Nov 2019

Lovely!

Everything about this place is good! Healthy food, delicious menus, friendly staff, garden sitting.. would go back every day.

Pros: All of the above

yaxche

Points +16

07 Nov 2019

Excelente comida 100%vegana y muchas opciones en el

Menu, además el sitio es precioso.

Pros: Muchas opciones veganas y ricas

Cons: Buen precio

Lalaladuda14

Points +425

15 Oct 2019

Hidden gem in the centro - give it a try!

I ate supper here with my boyfriend and we thought it was the perfect date night spot. The ambiance is excellent with lights strung across the garden and tables by the pool. The service is excellent and the food is tasty!! ☺️👌🏼

Pros: All-vegan, Varied menu, Excellent ambiance

comahony

Points +269

11 Oct 2019

Fantastic all around!

Everything about this cafe is wonderful! From the moment we stepped inside it was like we were in another world. We were seated poolside in a lovely shaded area and had the most patient knowledgeable waiter. We had the Mexican package of appetizer and 4 different tacos, and the pesto pasta. They were all so incredible, we got more tacos! Didn’t need them—just wanted them! We ordered the carrot cake and chocolate mousse for dessert. Both were beyond amazing. If we lived here, we’d be back every day. Everything—including the price—was fantastic. Delicious for vegans and non-vegans.

Pros: Creative, high quality , Great price , Awesome service

davedk

Points +417

13 Aug 2019

Simply great!

This was one of the nicest places I have been to during my Mexico trip. First of all the food is very varied and all is super tasty! They have a special daily menu. We ordered the mediterranean and the soul food night menus which included starters, mains, dessert and a drink. All for an amazing price! Besides we ordered 2 pizza‘s and a spinach salad. The atmosphere in the courtyard is really nice, you‘re sitting in nice chairs among plants and pool, it‘s very calm and relaxing. The service is perfect too, would go there any time again!

Pros: Fantastic food, Great atmo, Great price

clsherrod

Points +96

12 Aug 2019

A jewel of Merida

Cute courtyard and really yummy food. Fantastic prices too.

JuanAcosta

Points +46

03 Jul 2019

Excelente desayuno

Tienen su propio pan echo en casa y es delicioso, la orden de guacamole es grande y exquisita. Tofu scramble es muy bueno.

Pros: Buenos frijoles refritos, Delicioso guacamole, Buen ambiente con naturaleza y una piscina

Caitlintg

Points +80

26 Apr 2019

Amazing and great value vegan food

What a lovely setting and so many choices for vegans. On the menu they offered two different themed set menus, Yucatean or Lebanese, with four courses, and these could also be ordered a la carte. But four courses and a drink for £8 was irresistible! There were also other a la carte options too if you didn’t fancy the set menus. We both had the Yucatean set menu, which was lovely, and so so filling, I couldn’t finish it all. I also explained to the waiver that I was intolerant to gluten and he advised that this set menu would be fine for me.

Pros: So many vegan choices , Great value for money

Cons: Mosquitoes - as with many places in town! , Dim lighting

ariannabeau

Points +288

24 Mar 2019

A MUST While In Merida

Wow! What an experience! After ringing a bell hanging on a door, we were greeted by the owner. A super sweet and fascinating guy who has owned this hotel/restaurant with his wife for 17 years. They're both vegan! We're walked back to the dining area which is gorgeous and ordered our food. Almost every employee spoke english which made communicating extremely easy. Our food was delicious! The only improvement I would make was our service did take a while, although we went on a Saturday evening while all the tables were full. They also do a vegan breakfast on the daily as well! 8-10am! We hope to come back for it.

Pros: great atmosphere, kind staff, good prices

Cons: doesn't allow dogs, kind of slow service on Saturday nights

Reymar

Points +57

08 Mar 2019

Japanese Night

The food was great!! I highly recommend this place!

Langleysmiles

Points +53

11 Feb 2019

A must-do!

From the moment we stepped through the door into the courtyard this place was a treat! We were led around the gorgeous mixture of tropical plants until we reached the back courtyard, with a small collection tables in a beautiful setting. There were no available seats for our two children and ourselves, but another family asked us to join them, so we were able to sit down and eat right away. They were serving a Caribbean themed set menu and a Thai set menu, as well as several items à la carte items. My husband and I split the Caribbean items, and ordered an additional salad to share - the food was fantastic!!! We would definitely recommend this place to others!

The only con for us was that there is a swimming pool in the middle of the courtyard, and we have toddlers who we had to run after constantly...but such is life for us anyway, so not the restaurant’s fault!

RachelAHavekost

Points +58

10 Feb 2019

Best Vegan Meal in Mexico

This was the best vegan meal we have had during our 3 months in Mexico. There were two fixed meals, one Caribbean and one Thai, though it rotates nightly. We each had one and they were both absolutely delicious.

Pros: All Vegan, Different Cuisines, Wine and Beer

Cons: Minimal hours

mamba

Points +1050

03 Jan 2019

Pleasant surprise!

From what was written on Happy Cow I had the impression that they only have a changing dinner every evening, and that you have to eat what they have cooked that day. But they have a menu with a lot of choice (at least, it is a lot of choice for vegans because every dish is vegan)! It was so nice to be able to choose from many interesting options! The soup and main dish were very good, especially the lentil soup! The dessert was a let down (mousse au chocolate, I didn’t like the taste which was quite distinct and sour), but I want to give them 5 stars anyway, because overall, this is such a nice place, with a relaxing atmosphere by the pool, friendly staff and, in general, great food!

mochimochivegan

Points +101

20 Dec 2018

Very nice

Nice atmosphere by the poolside and foliage, and very good food. Recommend going with their set menu (around US 9$). Also note the hibiscus tea is quite bitter, I really liked the spice tea. Other highlights: carrot cake (so yummy!!!!), “chicken” fingers

GeckoHeaven

Points +381

14 Oct 2018

It doesn't really get any better than this

Real vegan food made with love and care.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Great atmosphere

Return to Merida Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lo Que Hay Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.