Little Seed by Firefly

100 Russell St, Toowoomba, Queensland, 4350

Trendy design cafe near the city centre, reported to have turned vegan in 2017. Offers seasonal menu. Full espresso bar. Previously named The Firefly Cafe. Open Wed-Fri 7:00am-3:00pm, Fri 5:30pm-9:30pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-3:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, Western, Beer/Wine, Fusion, Australian

First Review by necius

Don't miss this place! - Edit

We were told we MUST visit here if in Toowoomba and I can see why. I don't think I'll ever come to this area again without stopping in for a meal. The food was incredible- there's something magical about a chef that not only knows how to cook vegan food well but knows the natural flavour and texture combinations that will take it to another level. We had breakfast here and loved it so much that we bought lunch to take with us too. The "vegan egg" was incredible - as was everything we tasted. Will add some pics to the page if I can find them. Cannot recommend this place highly enough.

Pros: The taste of everything we ate, Genuinely lovely staff, Nice decor and GREAT that dogs are welcomed outsid

Cons: I wanted to eat everything on the menu it looked s

What a vegan cafe should be - Edit

We went to Toowoomba just to visit this pace and it was definitely worth the drive!

- We had rhubarb pancakes and tofu eggs and both were delicious and presented beautifully. It was great to have vegan meals prepared by a chef and not just by someone who thought they could cook.
- The coffee was superb.
- The decor fabulous.
- The service friendly and quick.
What else could you ask for?

Also dog friendly outside. :)

Updated from previous review on 2017-09-07

Pros: Execellent meals and coffee., Dog friendly, Beautiful artistic space.

Fantastic fresh vegan food - Edit

We shared the orange juice it was lovely and refreshing, hot chocolate was smooth and chocolatey, tofu eggs on seed bread had a wonderful favour and the potato rosti was delicious with chucks of potato and flavoured with dill. Serves was quick and friendly. Great bright airy, funky decor and chilled vibe.

Pros: Great food/selection , service , atmosphere

Cons: Price , serving size , no allocated parking

Decent vegan food in Toowoomba - Edit

Update: Since writing my original review, Firefly has changed it's name and gone all vegan, and I finally got a chance to check out Little Seed for lunch (Toowoomba's first 100% vegan cafe). I had the Red Paprika bowl, my girlfriend had the burger. We both found the meals delicious, although the burger was a little difficult to eat as a burger. I would love to see more items on the menu, particularly for people who have more 'traditional' Australian tastes in order to showcase vegan eating to much wider range of Toowoomba locals, but that's my only minor criticism.

---

I went to The Firefly Café for a lazy Friday lunch with my girlfriend. After having to find somewhere to park (the café’s small car park was full) we walked in and were told to take a seat.

The décor of the place was nice. It had an industrial hipster look to it, being located in what looks like an old warehouse, with mismatched furniture. In front of the building were a few veggie patches, which looked as if they haven't been thoroughly tended to for the winter.

The menu itself was quite small, but there were two Vegan options, and they were clearly marked. I chose to have a roasted butternut squash salad. Ordinarily I wouldn't choose a salad over a veggie burger, but the description was interesting. Upon ordering, we were given a small cow figurine for our table, a cute touch.

When my salad came out, I discovered that it most certainly was interesting. Ordinarily when I, as a vegan, order a salad at a non-vegan restaurant it's some variation on a garden salad. This was not the case at The Firefly Café. The base of the salad was a quarter of a butternut squash, roasted and sitting nicely on my plate. On top of the butternut squash was quite a generous helping of dahl, cucumbers, some kind of sprouts, and a tomatoey sauce. I have to say that this salad was definitely a meal, something that's quite rare, unfortunately.

Overall my impression was pretty good. While not as good as many other places I've been, Toowoomba doesn't have a lot of options for Vegans, so it gets extra marks there. It's definitely the pricier end of moderate, but mostly worth the money. Ultimately, if you're Vegan and stuck in Toowoomba for lunch, you may not have many options, so giving The Firefly Café a try is worth it.

Updated from previous review on 2015-06-13

Pros: Interesting menu, Good Food

Cons: Not much parking, A bit pricey

delicious vegan food - Edit

Little Seed by Firefly is located next to Wray organics in Russell Street ... it's an upmarket restaurant with lots of delicious vegan options for breakfast and lunch ... there is both inside and outside seating (near the raised garden beds at the front of the restaurant) ... I had a vegie burger ($22) that was very well presented on the plate and tasted fresh and delicious ... the blackbean patty was very nice and the salad vegies were fresh and crisp ... not the cheapest vegie burger I have eaten but certainly one of the best ... staff are very friendly and helpful ... eftpos available

Pros: lots of delicious vegan food

Cons: no wifi :-(

Return to Toowoomba Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Little Seed by Firefly closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.