Little Pine

323-741-8148

2870 Rowena (at Silverlake area), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90039

Opened Nov 2015, a vegan organic kitchen and retail space, co-owned by Moby the vegan musician! Offers menus for morning and evening with sample dishes such as grilled cheese on artisan-made bread with tomato soup, broccoli arancini, and panzanella. Large selection of beverages from loose leaf teas to smoothies and coffee drinks with housemade almond/cashew milks. Casual nice and cozy. Open Mon-Fri 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sat-Sun 10:00am-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Italian, Organic, Mediterranean, Beer/Wine, Fusion

First Review by saysuan

one of the the best vegan restaurant - Edit

I had scrambled tofu for breakfast it was delicious, their vegan susage was the best I had ever had, my sister had breakfast Tart, though wasn't too impressed the overall experience was great. they are also pet friendly.

Pros: their entire menue is vegan and best thing is they

Cons: it was moderate

Great food! - Edit

I've. Even here twice. Once for dinner and once for brunch! Both meals were amazing! I love the Shells there so much. And at brunch, the Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes are great as is the Sausage!

Pros: Ambience, Food

Cons: Wait Time

Glad that I went back - Edit

Had a great meal today -- excellent food and service. I had tried Little Pine when they first opened and wasn't impressed. Today, thanks to a gift certrificate, I returned. I think my first visit was just a case of new restaurant issues. Today at brunch we had the grilled cheese (with Tomato soup), and the Tofu scramble. Both were excellent. Service was also excellent. We'll be back. While we do not have a dog, I like the fact that the patio is dog friendly.

Pros: Food, Service, Ambiance

Cons: Distance (from where I live0

Veganizing the Impossible - Edit

Upon numerous recommendations, I finally tried the brunch at Little Pine. I loved the clean yet friendly atmosphere, and although busy, it was not overwhelming. My dining partner and I began with coffee and a croissant. The croissant is one of those things that is tricky, if not impossible, to nail using vegan ingredients; however, Little Pine excelled at this challenge! Warm, flaky, and oh so buttery. We were both in heaven. The strawberry jam and maple butter serve as a nice accompaniment.

For the entrees, upon several outside recommendations, we ordered the lemon poppy seed pancakes and the biscuits and gravy. The biscuits and gravy were alright; I've had better and I can make better. Not bad by any means but simply not mind-blowing after that croissant. The pancakes are an absolute must. Best pancakes I have had, hands down.

Overall, this was certainly worth the drive from Orange County. I will be back!

PS: Prices were not shocking unlike some other places. Very affordable.

Pros: Terrific Food, Nice atmosphere, Friendly Staff

Cons: Limited Parking

a fav but... - Edit

I've often told people this is one of my favorite places in the world to eat. Yummy comfort food which is relatively healthy, nice vibe, and 100℅ profit going to animal rights. Ate here the other night and while most dishes were great, I had the Sheppard's pie and it was insanely salty. I should have just sent it back but ate most of it instead.Mentioned it to the waitress but she didn't seem to care. It left me unable to order desert which I was bummed about because their desserts are fantastic.

Pros: yummy food, vibe, profit given to animals

Cons: some dishes too salty

Little Pine, Big Flavor - Edit

We celebrated our anniversary at this cute little place in Silver Lake. I am a vegan but my husband is a carnivore. We shared 5 dishes & loved it all! He couldn't stop raving about the "Mac & cheese"! I just wish this place was closer to where I live?

Pros: Delicious food that even carnivores will love, Nice selection of vegan wines

Cons: Too far from Long Beach to go every week!

Fine dining; I wish I'd known - Edit

Terrific ambience and the food was excellent. The waitress recommended something cheesy, and I'm glad I took her up on that suggestion. Vegan restaurants are so awash in Daiya other faux-cheeses for that particular taste, but the quality of the restaurant made it obvious I'd be getting something special.

I wish I'd known how nice it was beforehand. I felt a little awkward being alone and a little underdressed here and ended up just getting an appetizer. Next time I visit, I'll make it a proper meal.

Best vegan wine in town - Edit

Little Pine is a delicious new restaurant that caters well to the fussy LA vegan palates. Based on my reading of some lukewarm reviews for this place I was not expecting much. For my surprise, the small simple "tapas style" dishes that are offered here were excellent and perfectly seasoned. Perhaps what I enjoyed the most was the very nice selection of vegan wines. It is hard to find good vegan wine, even in "vegan" restaurants. Certified vegan wines in these establishments are usually mediocre or fruit bombs. Other places prefer to compromise and offer good quality wine even if it is unknown if animal products were added to enhance the fermentation process. I would say that Little Pine deserves all my accolades not only for the quality and flavor of its food, but also for putting together an excellent vegan wine offering.

Pros: Vegan Wine, Vegan brunch , Vegan tapas dinner

Low-key ambiance, excellent food - Edit

As a fan of Moby's music and even more of his animal activism, I knew I had to dine at this place during a recent trip to the Los Angeles area. (And BTW my trip was for the National Animal Rights Conference, where Moby was among the speakers.) My dinner mate was a childhood friend I hadn't seen for decades, and who also happens to be vegan now. We both enjoyed the whole experience tremendously!

The ambiance was more low-key than I had expected - and that was a good thing - we felt really at home dining here.

We shared four of the $9 small plates, all of which were excellent and more ample portions than i had expected. Crispy smashed potatoes romesco aioli; Broccolini hazelnuts, avocado mousse, red onion; Roasted root vegetables market selection; Brussels sprouts apple, fennel, apple cider gastrique. These were a really great value!

Pros: Excellent food, Great value for fine dining, Comfortable ambiance

Great (small) vegan menu...awesome dessert! - Edit

Little Pine is reminiscent of something in the East Village of NYC, cozy tables and benches in a medium-sized room with cute decorations. There's also a small outside seating area, but it's near a parking lot (though it does have some small bushes behind it). We opted for inside seating.

Overall, we liked the menu. Lots of variety in vegetables, with each being featured in its own dish, and then a few more hearty dishes. They recommend 2-3 dishes per person (they're more shared plates), but if you get the heartier ones, that's too much food. They have wine and beer, but no cocktails. We shared:
-Panzanella salad - This was our favorite dish! Diced tomato, peppers, spinach, avocado and deliciously toasted bread all covered in a tangy, avocado-esque dressing. The dressing was almost slightly creamy. This was a good portion size and had a fair share of bread.
-Roasted root vegetables - This was just okay, and something that could have easily come out of my own oven. It was roasted carrots, onions, white potatoes and two mini purple potatoes. The glaze seemed like a butter with s&p. It was well-seasoned, simple and certainly good, but there was nothing special about it.
-Shepherd's pie - This comes out tiny-looking in a small casserole dish, but it is deceivingly hearty. It's mainly lentils (with a scarce amount of tomato) covered in a filling mashed potato. The menu had said other vegetables would be in there, but we didn't see any. It was hearty and the potatoes were fluffy and felt like they were cooked in butter even though it was vegan, always a good sign.
-Mushroom bruschetta - I've had an issue with mushrooms since I had a stomach bug in January. These were simple, almost crisp-like toasts with a smear of pesto and then sautéed mushrooms on top. It was good, but I could only barely get down one due to my newfound mushroom aversion.
-Banana sundae (special) - Banana ice cream (subtle flavor) covered in chocolate sauce, chocolate chunks, a fudgy brownie and coconut whipped cream; awesome!

We ordered a cassoulet as well, but it took so long to come out that the waitress comped our banana sundae, since timing was just off (and we got the cassoulet boxed to go, as we were feeling full by then). Timing was generally off throughout the meal. It took awhile for our first dishes to come out, and then some things came out very quickly and others took far longer than they should have. Still, very nice of her to comp the sundae.

Vegan fine dining - Edit

This cute and cozy restaurant serves a 100% vegan menu with an emphasis on fine dinning. Meals are smaller portions with the idea you will order two or three courses. Service is good and the staff are happy to answer dietary restriction questions. Some GF options but not too many soy free options.

We ordered the Shepard's Pie (very yummy) and the mushroom potato stew. Happy with both. Very different tastes but both very good

Pros: 100% vegan, Friendly Staff , Good Food

Cons: Small parking area

Get the Brussels sprouts! - Edit

Clean and serene! Went for lunch and enjoyed every bite of my pan bagna sandwich. The server recommended Brussels sprouts and I will go back and order them again -- so flavorful and my favorite part of lunch. Staff is super friendly.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 08, 2016

Pros: Easy atmosphere, Friendly, helpful staff

Moby's restaurant! - Edit

Little Pine is owned by Moby. It is so delicious and so reasonably priced. The ambiance is great, the staff is friendly, and the meals are creative and wonderful. I highly recommend the smashed potatoes and the cookies with milk for dessert.

A little jewel - Edit

Very unpretentious and with a simple concept: great organic vegan food in a relaxed atmosphere. They have a small outside patio, so you can go with your dog if you like, and they have blankets outside in case it gets chilly. We tried the Pan Bagna and the Grilled Cheese, both fantastic. Same thing for the dessert. The price is medium-high but it's worthy.

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Outside patio for dogs

Cons: The price

great vibe - Edit

Down to earth. Organic. Vegan. And unique menu.

upscale yet quaint - Edit

We arrived 30 minutes prior to our reservation on a Thursday night, and was very kindly accommodated early. Everyone who works here is so very very nice and professional.

The restaurant itself is nicely decorated, but it was a little too dark.

Between 2 people our server suggested ordering between 4 and 6 items. We ordered 5, and I think that was the perfect amount of food.

We ordered the farro salad(5 stars), Brussel sprouts(5 stars), stuffed shells(3 stars. The red one needed more sauce or something else), the white creamy pasta arignioti or something??(5 stars. The sauce is so ridiculously good. Tastes just like Alfredo sauce) and the polenta and sausage(3 stars. The polenta tasted better once it soaked up the marinara sauce and softened a bit, but overall it wasn't anything amazing)
Moby came by our table and brought dessert menus and recommended the smore's ganache pie, so we ordered it. (4 stars. The ganache and toasty marshmallow were super rich and yummy, but the graham cracker crust was SO hard, it was nearly impossible to cut with the spoon. And it tasted a little over cooked with a bit of burnt flavor. We mentioned this to our server and she said they recently changed it to be gluten free, so they must be having difficulty with it. She said she would mention it to the chef.)

Overall, a great dinner spot. Expect to spend about $60 a person. The portions are very small, so each person should order 2-3 items.

lovely brunch - Edit

We came for Saturday brunch with another couple. We had a reservation and were quickly seated. The décor is nice, clean and cozy. I just wish our table for four had been a little bigger with all the dishes we ordered. We started off with mochas and a bellini for me. The mochas were made with housemade cashew milk which was delicious. We shared housemade croissants, a brown sugar pop tart and roasted potatoes. Dirk and I also shared a tomato soup bowl. Dirk got the frittata and the rest of us got the biscuits and gravy. We requested more gravy, but were told that they didn't have any extra which was disappointing. Otherwise, everything was great. I especially liked the soup, but tomato is my favorite. The service was friendly too. We look forward to returning for dinner to try some other menu items.

Pros: tasty homemade food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere

Great little gem in Silverlake - Edit

I usually find that brand new restaurants have a lot of hurdles to overcome before they get a hang of things. Little Pine does not seem to be one of those restaurants. My girlfriend and I walked in without a reservation and were quickly seated. Our waiter was super friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. We ordered half the menu (I always do that my first time visiting somewhere) and really liked 85% of it. The standout items were the Mediterranean salad, the chocolate chip cookies and milk and the cauliflower bites with dipping sauce. The Mac N Cheese was solid but I wish I had had some hot sauce to pour over it. The only thing I wasn't too keen on was the trio of shells, which apparently is their most popular item. I loved the atmosphere, the friendly staff and the location as it was so easy to get parking. Can't wait to go back and try their brunch.

Pros: all vegan, cute restaurant, good food

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Little Pine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.