CLOSED: Little Lad's

• Vegetarian

Contact 212-227-5744

41 Delancey St, New York City, New York, USA, 10271

All vegan food except honey used in some items. No vinegar, baking powder/soda, or harmful spices. Offers a range of breakfast foods, a lunch buffet from 11am-2:30pm, plus veggie burgers and sandwiches, nice cream on Wednesday and Friday. Stops serving t 3pm, only take-out after that time. Previously located on Broadway, West Village/Financial District. Reported closed to HappyCow.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Buffet, Fast food, Salad bar, Take-out, Kosher

First Review by Upliftance

Nice food - Edit

We found this place a little disconcerting - we weren't sure where to go to get food, were to order, weather it was vegan or not,... in the end someone saw we were lost and explaned. Yes, everything is vegan. Most people seemed to go to the buffet, but we weren't tempted by it, and opted for a vegan cheese burger, with cheese and chilli fries.

The food was very good, although surprising! The burgers were so big we had a hard time eating them, and came with bbq flavour popcorn, strange but nice!
The fries were in fact chuncks of jacket potatoes, covered in chilli with a kind of cheese sauce. We really enjoyed the fact they weren't greasy, a lot heathlier, and delicious!

The whole experiance was very odd, specially when a little girl in an oldfashioned dress and had came over to offer us a quarter of chicken burger to try, but the food was very good.

Pros: great food, healthy

Cons: strange atmosphere

Vegan food in the Financial District - Edit

We went for breakfast. We had a hearty meal, with roma coffees too, for a cheap price. We had the supreme French toast and waffles. The people were very helpful when it was clear we didn't know how the process worked. It is confusing if you've never been before; not really sure what to do. That was the only downside. We went at an odd time - they had cleaned up the breakfast buffet and were setting up the lunch buffet. I recommend going during more conventional hours - avoid 10am-11am!

Pros: cheap, location, vegan

Cons: confusing

An oasis in downtown NY - Edit

When I was working in the Financial District from 2005 through 2007, this was my go-to lunch spot. The food is cheaply priced and very tasty, especially the popcorn, which isn't part of the buffet but can be purchased from their little store. I don't adhere to all of the Adventists' ideals -- I love vinegar, for example -- but I was more than willing to set those differences aside for such solid, inexpensive food. I hope the quality has remained consistent since then.

Sadly, not good - Edit

We went for lunch -one of the worst meals we've had.
As a nearly life long vegetarian and recent vegan, the
experience has really made me reconsider my choice to go
vegan. It was that bad. The staff was so sweet and friendly
and clearly the owners care a lot about their mission -they
need some new recipes and better cooks in the kitchen. The food's consistency and the spicing of the buffet choices were the biggest problems. My husband had the cheeseburger and said the taste - the spices and combination of ingredients - and the texture were both bad. I have only been there once so here's hoping it was just an off day.

Pros: staff, intentions, philosophy

Cons: spices, food consistency, overcooked

Odd little place, but yummy - Edit

I was hoping there would be the famous mac and cheese the day we went but no dice. This place does not offer that much; you are limited to just 6 items to choose from. I had been imagining a larger buffet. But once I got over my limited options I felt better. You get a plate and a bowl. You can fill your bowl with soup OR salad, and you can fill your plate for one low price. The day we went I got a salad with some kind of tahini dressing which was so bad that I couldn't eat it. The meal however was really good. Some kind of whipped butternut squash, collard greens, corn, pasta with a funky broth-like sauce, fire-roasted artichoke. All delicious if not a little odd. The atmosphere was the best though. So peaceful in there, away from the hub bub of the city. You can tell they put love in that food. And you can't beat the price. If you find yourself in the financial district, hit it early cuz the lunch rush was insane.

phonedude You have to be a little careful with salad dressings. Sometimes they can be a little strange if you are not familiar with the seasonings. The best time get there is between 11:30 and 12:00 after that it can become a mad house. If, you really want to try the mac and cheese give them a call and ask them what days they are serving it. If, you call them they may even serve it the day you will be there because that's the type of people they are; they want to see people eat healthy.

WOW!! - Edit

I was recently introduced to the Little Lad's Basket and I can't say enough. I have to admit that I was a little unsure upon entering this rather dark, quiet place but I can see now that this only adds to its charm. The place is so quiet and peaceful, nobody is pressuring you to leave after you eat, I think they encourage people to hang out. The food is fresh, nicely prepared it smells great and the color of the food is bright, you can see the health in it.

The buffet is now $3.99 but its still a deal. There are usually two soups to choose from and assortment of salad fixings and a few hot foods like a squash casserole, vegan mac and cheese, and a vegan Sheppard's pie. The also have hot veggies like corn, kale, carrots, etc. There is a fruit salad with some nice toppings like granola and a white sauce that I cannot figure out but it tastes great on fruit salad. They also offer other made to order foods along with a nice selection of vegan cakes, cookies and snacks.

The Little Lad is truly a treasure. If, only there could be more places like this in NYC.

Pros: great value, healthy choices, quiet and secluded

Cons: non

Best deal in NYC... - Edit

...whether you are a vegan or not! This place is truly a gem lying in the center of downtown. The slightly kitschy all-vegan cafeteria is full with Wall Street business types who are attracted to the good food and awesome deals. I was barely able to eat all of the food that I got for $3.99, and will have to satisfy my taste buds by returning here whenever I am in NYC.

Pros: food, prices, ambiance

Cons: styrofoam , plates

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Little Lad's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 891 times since Aug 2007.