Little-Heaven

• Friend
Contact 0757772500

8-29 Saganohirakichou, Ukyo, Kyoto, Japan, 616-8313

Upscale vegan restaurant minutes from Katabiranotsuji station on the Arashiyama line, or 10 minutes from Uzumasa station on Sanin line. Offers a lunch set consisting of seasonal vegetables of Kyoto, traditional dried soymilk skin, and wheat gluten. Has vegetable sushi course. Dessert are extra. Must call to reserve at least 3 days ahead as it's not always open.

Category: Vegan, Pizza, Japanese, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine, Fusion

First Review by happycyclist

Must visit on the way to arashimaya - Edit

This is the highlight of our whole trip. The food are so creative and tasty. We really look forward to our next kyoto trip just to visit this restaurant again. No doubt it's pricey, but definitely worth the experience. It's top on the list at least for us.

Pros: Creative and tasty food , Near to arashiyama and train stn

Cons: Pricey

The most amazing food I've ever eaten... - Edit

Every single item is so well prepared and the taste is perfect! Presentation is out of this world--every dish is a work of art. I've now been for dinner and lunch--both are equally delicious, but dinner includes more variety. Though the cost might be a bit higher than a few other venues, it is definitely worth every yen. More, really....it is very hard to imagine anyone leaving disappointed, after such an experience. The chef explains the ingredients and vegetables, many of which are organic and sourced locally. Cannot recommend enough.

Amazing food and presentation - Edit

We had a private room for ourselves and the staff was waiting for us when we arrived. They were very professional and nice. Unfortunately, we had to go before we were served all our food, but they were so kind and accommodating that they let us take home the last part of our dinner, beautifully presented in bentos.

The food was amazing and diverse, more so than shojin ryori food. It was full of flavor, texture and very innovating. We especially liked the vegan sushis that we couldn't find anywhere else in Japan. The deserts were also original and we couldn't decide which we liked best as they we all delicious. The homemade Japanese style breads were very nice. And for everything we had, the price was surprisingly modest.

Thank you again for this wonderful experience on our honeymoon and we hope to return one day !

Pros: originality, good value, friendly staff

My Best Meal in Japan - Edit

As my review says, this was my best meal in Japan, having lived there for three years and visited many times over the last ten years.

While it doesn't offer the full temple dining experience of Shojin-Ryori, in a way Little Heaven offers the best of all worlds of Shojin, Western food, Japanese food and the popular Japanese fusion style cooking. Like shojin, the food is beautifully prepared, with each of many dishes being a work of art in itself that you don't want to destroy by eating. And while Shojin can be as cheap as a few thousand yen for a simple temple meal, Little Heaven offers a meal comparable to many temples for a fraction of the price (my meal cost about 7,000 Yen).

The owner (who used to run one of my favourite restaurants in Tokyo) and the chef are friendly and welcoming, and clearly passionate about their food; they brought out raw ingredients to explain the ingredients, including the many local varieties of vegetables which made up my feast. At the table before I arrived was a full-page English-language description of my meal, course by course.

Meals need to be booked at least three days in advance, and I was so glad that I (just) managed to sneak in my booking. It's well worth it, even if it will be your most expensive meal in Kyoto. It will also be your best.

Pros: incredible meal, friendly staff passionate about food, very reasonable prices for this food

Cons: must book three days in advance

I just died and went to heaven - Edit

My friend and I came to Little-Heaven from Australia and booked to eat the 10 course meal.
I've never had more finer vegan good, the amazing quality of this good is unreal. Each dish was amazing, but make sure you go starving because it is a lot of food! The chef who owns the restaurant is the nicest man you'll ever meet, and he makes sure that you have everything you need. I would 100% eat there again. I doubt I'll ever eat anything as amazing ever again.

Pros: everything

Cons: there is none

The best (vegan) food in Japan - Edit

Little-Heaven serves vegan haute cuisine catered to each guest's reservation (reservations are required). I booked the nine-course set meal and my special course was sushi. Accompanied by the sounds of peaceful atmospheric wind instruments and piano solos, I savoured the moment with a maître d'hôtel on attention and a skilled chef whose every course was presented as a work of art. Of note, the yuba was delectable and the jelly sushi wobbled like I guess an eel who had met a tragic end would. Reflecting on the meal afterwards, I understood the reasoning behind the seemingly bold name of these artisans' business. These two craftspeople had created an experience that was unsurpassed: Japanese cuisine of such a high level – from sight to taste – that others' trite arguments questioning the authenticity, variety, taste, and craft of vegan food were dismantled as were Little-Heaven's ephemeral artworks, with each movement from chopstick to mouth.

Arigato gozaimasu Little-Heaven.

Pros: Food was exceptional, Staff were friendly and spoke English, Meal was unique

Went to heaven and back! - Edit

We are picky eaters and usually find vegan restaurant cuisine boring. Little Heaven was outstanding! Don't be fooled by the small portions. Nine beautiful and delicious courses later, we were stuffed and waddling home! All ingredients were organic and made from scratch, including the bread, soy puddings, pickles, vegan sushi, and plethora of French-style sauces. There were so many tastes to savor in each bite, with loads of protein (for a change), and so much color. Every bite was an explosion of taste. Well worth the 5 star price. Go for the full course option with vegan sushi. An unsuspecting eater would never know it was all vegan. Definitely going back!
Updated from previous review on Monday December 22, 2014

Pros: taste, protein, presentation

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Little-Heaven closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.