First Review by TattooLady

Absolute Gem - Edit

Whenever I drive through kingsland this cafe is on the top of my list! Amazing cabinet treats, fresh smoothies, and cafe food!
Must visit!!!

Pros: Fantastic selection , Beautiful cafe, Lovely staff

Cons: Limited parking

Roar! - Edit

Every experience I have had with raw food restaurants has been fabulous. Little Bird’s little Unbakery is no exception.

The focus of this store is almost entirely on the food. Little Bird is a brand of raw food snacks and the main purpose of the massive and well-staffed kitchen is to be the factory for these branded organic products available in supermarkets and health food stores throughout the country. The quality is high, as is the price, but most of the packaged products are dried snacks. What’s available at the unbakery is full, sumptious raw meals.

One thing to understand about raw food is that there’s generally no “filler”. Without bread, pasta, rice or other “empty” carbohydrate bases, raw food chefs have nothing to use but the good stuff. Where you would have found fillers go protein-rich chia seeds, crisp frozen almonds, blended date & nut pastes and other mysterious but incredibly nourishing vegan delicacies.

As can be expected, a menu like this must change with the seasons and available ingredients. But you can expect high quality raw versions of pastas and other novelties, spiced salads, crunchy fresh cut vege mix-ups and mind-blowing desserts (including generous helpings of their astonishingly luscious cheesecake). I think every time I visit, I spend about as much on the dessert as I do on the rest of the meal. And who cares? With this kind of cuisine, the nutrition profile is outstanding and the natural sugars will give you an energetic and beautifully focussed high. Don’t forget that Auckland will always have a nearby park - this is great food for a sunny day.

The location is in Kingsland which can be reached easily by rail or bus. The cafe includes a large table which encourages sharing and a good chance to meet strangers. Raw food lovers are usually not shy about their passion!

Note: Little Bird also has other stores now - best one is the large and super-trendy Ponsonby location on Summer Street.

Pros: High quality raw food, Watch the factory in action!

Cons: Kingsland a bit out of the way

Amazing! - Edit

Waited to add a review after a trip to Europe, and Little Bird cafe is definitely a favourite! Beautiful calm environment and delicious food. Also a nice selection of goods on sale X Wish I could go everyday, but I live down south!

Pros: everything, gluten free options

Delicious amazing food - Edit

The little bird makes the absolutely best food in Auckland - whether it's cake, slices, smoothies, savoury dishes... Sometimes hard to believe that it's really raw - they've mastered the art of raw cuisine. And now that I have their cookbook I see how much work goes into their creations. Absolutely worth every penny!

Their original place in Kingsland is smaller and less busy, the menu varies slightly.

They have some cooked meals as well.

Pros: delicious, healthy, raw

The Original Little Bird! - Edit

This place is amazing and well worth the trip. It's very small and great for takeaway food. If you are looking to sit down and eat I would head to their Ponsonby branch as they have a larger space. The same amazing cabinet desserts appear here and the Kingsland cafe has more of a changeable menu.

Pros: The cabinet!, The cabinet!

Cons: Small space

My favorite place in the whole world!! - Edit

Well I've never been to their place in Kingsland but I was regular in their new place in Ponsonby.
I'm a foodie-I love good food-I enjoy it. And you get all of that at LBO. The staff is super friendly, place is very inviting but the food is the boos. So delicious! I can only highly recommend visiting this place if you have a chance. Some of my best memories of New Zealand will be of this place lol.:) If you have a sweet tooth like me that you found yourself a paradise. You can read more about it on my blog (http://wwland.blogspot.co.nz/2013/11/the-little-bird-organics.html) but seriously-go there and indulge yourself.:)
Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 08, 2014

Raw - Edit

We are not that into raw food, however, this was a healthy meal and a good experience. The shop is set out very nicely and the cake cabinet was full of goodies. It is a little pricey but worth the money due to the use of high quality ingredients. The iced coffee was great!

Pros: healthy, fresh, lots of cakes

Cons: small menu

perfect if you dont suffer anxiety disorders - Edit

the food here is amazing i cant say a bad thing about, the coffee is also excellent.

i live down the road and id come here all the time except for the fact it gets very packed and there is never anywhere to sit down - there is no real sort of system with waiting for seats so it gets a bit confusing and then i have a panic attack and have to leave.

last time i ended up getting take out after some shore moms took the seat i was waiting for.

a few people have said this place is expensive, it isn't - its the same price youd pay at any average cafe in Kingsland for far superior food that has much more manpower involved in its preparation.

hopefully they will expand or something so its a bit more relaxing to eat there.

Pros: food, coffee, little bird products

Cons: hard to find a seat

good but not great - Edit

went for their raw pad thai, as had read reviews saying how good it was
unfortunately didn't live up to the hype - was more like a version of a coleslaw than the pad thai's i have had in san francisco or london
lovely place though, and happily busy

Best raw food I've had - Edit

I'm a vegan but not a raw foodist, but have been sampling raw food for the last few years. This is the best place I've been to. It was a very bustling cafe when we arrived -- although it's in a strange part of town, semi-industrial, I assume because they also stock other eateries (there were a lot of boxes being packed to the side). The staff were extremely friendly, and unperturbed by the crowds.
They offer the usual "courgette spaghetti" type meals that you'll get anywhere, but they also had on the menu that day an indian curry and Thai meal -- I had the Thai, and I've never had raw food like it. The meal was relatively expensive (although all food in NZ seems to be expensive), but was sooo filling. We had ordered dessert as well, and had to get it wrapped to take away. The cheesecake was very rich and creamy, so much so that it took me several days to get through! All was delicious.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, good range

Cons: strange location, small

Raw Paradise - Edit

If you don't know how wonderful dishes you can make as raw and you are a bit suspicious about raw food in general, this little cafe/bisto will convince you totally!
I got a raw green tropical smoothie, raw chocolate Macadamia cheesecake and raw lasagne as an early lunch and I simply fell in love with the food! Especially the lasagne made me feel extremely good! It was so delicious and fresh! It was the best raw dish I have ever got and I recommend everybody to have a try with that one!
Making professional, delicious raw dishes is a challenge, but this place has managed to do that! It's incredible!
So, it is absolutely worth to walk to this place from the city, even though it is a bit difficult to find the cafe in the beginning. Nevertheless, it is there, waiting for you!

Pros: Excellent food, Lovely staff, Totally raw and organic

Cons: Not a real restaurant but also a factory

Little beauty - Edit

I've been enjoying the Little Bird macaroons and grawnola for a while so was super excited when I heard they'd opened a cafe. As there is not much of a raw vegan presence in Auckland's eateries (not counting salads), my only experience of raw vegan cafes/restaurants are from travels in America of which I wasn't totally impressed - it doesn't help that I hate tahini. So as well as being excited for a new vegan place to eat in Auckland, I was also a bit nervous that I wouldn't like the food.

I visited Little Bird for the first time last week with my gluten-free vegan boyfriend and his omni but health-conscious Mum. All three of us loved the food and the experience. The food is so good, bursting with flavour and beautifully presented. The bf and I had a lasagne each which consisted of courgette "pasta sheets" with Little Bird's famous creamy nut cheese (best vegan cheese eva) and a super fresh tomato and capsicum sauce with a green salad on the side. Our plates were licked clean. Mum had the Pad Thai - again the presentation was excellent and the flavour was beautiful - not overwhelming or rich, just really fresh with expert use of herbs and spices.

We each couldn't resist a sweet thing although I could only eat half of mine and saved the rest for later. Bf got the berry cheesecake - a massive slice but in true fashion he gulped it down in under a minute. Mum and I savoured ours - she got a muesli log and I got the choc peppermint slice. I usually find raw chocolate too bitter and dirt-like, this was not so - crunchy and sweet with chunks of smooth peppermint, yum yum yum.

The interior is super cool, nice and woody with a relaxed atmosphere. Only complaint is not enough seating, the place was full so had to wait a bit to get a table.

Overall, an easy five stars. I'll be back.

Updated from previous review on Saturday October 13, 2012

Pros: Amazing food, Cool interior, Fresh

Cons: Not enough seating, Parking

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Little Bird Organics - Kingsland closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6622 times since Oct 2012.