Lily's Vegetarian Kitchen - Georgetown

Contact 04-2263810

98, Noble House, Madras Lane, Georgetown (at ground floor), Penang, Malaysia, 10400

Chinese name 欣莉素食馆. Cozy environment. Downstairs serves local fast food concept, cash only. Upstairs serves a la carte menu and accepts credit cards. Offers fried kuey teow, assam laksa, rojak, vietnam roll, red wine mee suah, spicy la mien, juices, and more. Closed Monday except on 1st & 15th of Chinese lunar calendar ( then will close the next day). Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Indian, Malaysian

First Review by lavanya

Great experience - Edit

We let the staff at lily's know we were Vegan, they are very understanding of vegan diet and let us know what we could have. The green curry was great. A good place to get Chinese food.

Pros: They understand Vegan

Best place where to try real Penang food - Edit

Nice place with good Malay and Penang food. You should try Penang Laksa, Curry Mee, Popia, Rojak and many other dishes. Excellent! Love it!

Price is cheap, restaurant is clean, food is excellent.

Even the western options are great! - Edit

I have eaten at Lilly's numerous times and tried quite a bit on the menu (I'm trying to get through everything!). Everything that I have tried I have enjoyed. The Penang specialities are great and even the western options are tasty and well presented. Definitely my favourite veggie in Penang. Staff are nice too.

Pros: Large menu, Tasty food, Reasonable price

Great Penang specialities - Edit

The bustling restaurant downstairs has a great menu with lots of amazing Penang specialities. The first time I went, I had Penang Laksa, Satay, and Rojak (fruit salad in tamarind sauce), which all blew my mind as I'd never had them before. Prices are good value - I paid RM 21 for those three dishes and felt very full. The second time, I had Nasi Kandar (similar to an Indian thali, but Penang style). The three curries were delicious, and had a good balance of vegetables and some mock meats. It only cost RM 6.50. The decor is simple and clean and the workers very friendly. They told me they are soon going to put up pictures of the dishes (at the moment the menu is just words).

Pros: Penang specialities, Open day and night, Lively, cheerful, clean

Wan Tan Mee, Grandma's Porridge yum! - Edit

One of my favourite places in Penang for lunch, tried set meal, was not that impressed esp with the small portion of vege but love their wan tan mee & gandma's porridge. Simple but nice. Self help with Chillies.

Pros: Tasty, Easy to park

Excellent! - Edit

We went here twice, the second time they remembered exactly what we had the first time and seemed happy to help us choose our meal. They had a lot of local Malaysian dishes, which is exactly what we were looking for. Our meals arrived extremely quickly and so so tasty. I thoroughly recommend the penang laksa, but everything was delicious. Both times we went it was full of locals, which is a good sign. very reasonably priced, about 4-6RM for a main meal, and it's enough to fill my constantly hungry stomach. I can't see how anyone could be dissappointed with this place. Eat Here!

Pros: delicious, cheap, great service

Wonderful food - Edit

Had a really nice dinner here. The place upstairs is now closed, so you have to sit downstairs. We were there on a Sunday evening and there were a lot of families having dinner, and there was a friendly atmosphere. The tables are a bit canteen like, but the food is wonderful.
There is an a la carte menu, but you have to order at the counter and take your cutlery from there.

We wanted some spring rolls but they were already sold out. So we hade some sateh with very good peanut sauce, vegetarian Nasi Lemak and a wonderful penang laksa, I would really recommend to order the penang laksa.
They also have a lot of fruit juices here, I only did not like the tea. Everything is very cheap here.

Pros: Real penang food, Tasty, Clean

Yummy Yummy Yummy!! - Edit

Great place. Nice and clean. Very inexpensive prices. Nice to eat classic Penang dishes that are animal free!! Curry Mee and Vietnam Rolls are very nice.

Pros: clean, cheap, tasty food

MSG palace! - Edit

If you like healthy food it's not your place. Not a single salad, only some veggies serve with main dishes. Alot I mean alot of fake meat. Glutene temple of Penang! I ate and I left the place feeling tired and exhausted ! The food have nice presentation with kinda fusion menu and tasty bus as. Said lots of MSG dishes. There some healthier selection as the noodle soup. Many dishes was oily as well. Overall it's nice restaurant but not more than once per week and not if u are raw foodist

Pros: Presentation of food, Fusion, Enviroment

Cons: Mock meat, Glruten food, Msg temple

Loved it! - Edit

When we arrived at this restaurant the outside appearance had us slightly on guard - it looked a bit cold and cementish. We ventured inside and asked for the a la carte section before being directed back outside and up an elevator which is positioned inside a brownish glass doorway to the left of the main entrance.

The ambience upstairs was neat and well presented - typical upscale Chinese restaurant vibe. It was largely empty except for 4 generations of a huge local family who seemed to be gathering there for their Sunday feast (how cool that they eat vegetarian on such occasions!).

The menu here was not extensive and mainly Chinese in style (nyonya). It featured a lot of mock meat, which after a chat with the very friendly and helpful waitress we got comfortable with eating - they make most of it on premises and don't use any MSG in their cooking.

With a bit of help from the waitress we identified the most 'Malaysian' options, which comprised of a handmade mock meat rendang, some kind of vegetable sambal dish, otok otok (handmade mock meat chunks cooked in banana leaf) and a seaweed soup (this one is Chinese but we wanted the seaweed for its nutritional profile), accompanied with some brown rice.

What came out of that kitchen was truly awesome. Each and every dish was so naturally flavourful and interesting, we savoured every bite and came away truly satisfied that we had tried some of the best of the local cuisine. The mock meat was very obviously not of the factory variety and did not feel overly meaty (we don't enjoy the taste/texture of meat). The waitresses were so friendly they kept coming past and showing us some of the dishes they were serving to other patrons, just so we could see what they eat. Many of the dishes they prepare need to be ordered a day in advance and are only for parties of 8 or more, so they weren't available to us. As we dined more and more local families came in for their Sunday feasts and we could easily see why this place was chosen to host such events.

On our way out we decided to check out the fast food section downstairs. Again, the lady there was so friendly. She asked how our meal was, talked us through the mostly noodle and rice menu and even told us about the vegetarian festival due to start in Penang next Monday (26th Sept). We are soooo coming back here soon to try the laksa and satay. Can't wait!

Pros: tasty healthy food, friendly service, clean spacious restaurant

Cons: the usual cold chinese restaurant vibe, could be more vegetable dishes

Best Experience in Penang - Edit

My husband and I stumbled across Lily's while in Penang July 2010. We arrived a little late and the chef had gone home sick. The manager (Lily's sister) insisted on cooking us something herself. Her daughter then sat with us and she was in fact visiting from Perth Australia where she lives. We got to know her during our meal and felt very humbled by her stories. After dinner (which was delicious!) she took us on a tour of Penang! We felt very grateful to have met this wonderful, friendly person and it was thanks to the yummy food at Lily's!

Pros: Great service, Diverse food choices, Inexpensive

Interesting - Edit

We found this restaurant thanks to our taxi driver! It has a varied and a slightly more innovative meny than the usual mock meat items at most other similar places. The taro spring rolls and the Japanese Black Pepper Noddles were excellent. So were the fresh lime and sour plum juices. Prices are very reasonable.

Another good place to try - Edit

Lily is a clean, systematical and fast food delivery veggie restaurant. Food is selling at reasonable price and mostly taste good. I like their kelantan laksa.

Pros: Systematic, Clean, Food taste god

Cons: Limited choice of food

Tasty Food - Edit

The ground floor is for 'fastfood', which is,self-service. The upper floor is ala carte Malaysia Nyonya cuisine.
We tried out the food at the 'fastfood' area.
The porridge was good, a bit like Korean style which you mixed all ingredients together.
Pizza was so so but the pita was good.

Pros: Clean, Easy to find, Good food

Cons: Service is so so

Return to Penang Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lily's Vegetarian Kitchen - Georgetown closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5341 times since Aug 2007.