First Review by cupcakes6

not that 'friendly' - Edit

We came here because there are not many vegan options in Cairns and Snoogies was closed. we found that the service from staff wad not very good or friendly and the menu is really meat, dairy and egg heavy which I usually like yo avoid. on the plus side, they had good portion sizes, I got the turkish breakfast and it was huge!! i took most of it back to the hotel for wraps later.

Pros: big portions

Cons: service

Huge portions! - Edit

We had a vegan Temptress, the tempeh burger with satay sauce, avocado and salad and a Vegan lasagne. The portions are huge, I couldn't even finish my burger. Burger was really tasty, I highly recommend that. On the other hand, lasagne was a big disappointment. It tasted little weird, very sweet and didn't have hardly any pasta in it. Go with the Temptress!

Great for vegetarians, mediocre for vegans - Edit

The amount of vegetarian items on the menu that can be made vegan is SMALL, so be warned. They have no milk or egg substitutes (the lady even tried to explain to me that tofu can't be used as an egg substitute, which is mind-boggling in its incorrectness), so we wound up having a sandwich and a burrito.

Warning: the sauces are EXTREMELY spicy without warning. Make sure to ask.

It was filling, but we weren't impressed and didn't go back.

Pros: Vegan options though few

Cons: Meat, Could be so much better

Huge portion sizes and lots of veg options - Edit

Really impressed with the menu and the portion sizes are ridiculously generous so make sure you are hungry. Really good location for backpackers as its right opposite Gilligan's, I'll be going back for more!

Vegan options in Cairns! - Edit

As mentioned this place only has a few items on the menu that are labeled vegan, but many/most other options (minus the egg dishes) can be made vegan. I had the vegan lasagne with salad. The salad was super yummy. The lasagne was only okay (a little salty), but still tasty. I would definitely go back. I love the atmosphere and am really glad to have a cute place in Cairns with vegan options on the menu!

Pros: Vegan options on the menu, Cute decor

Finally, a good vegan breakfast! - Edit

Very veg/ vegan friendly, will do substitutions, and have vegan breakfasts. Huge portions and reasonable prices too.

Pros: Friendly staff, Flavorful, vegan fare, Good prices

Great for Vegetarians, limited options for Vegans. - Edit

I often go to Lilipad with friends for breakfast as being Vegan I have a couple of options but mostly I just order one of the fantastic fresh juices. Keep in mind the coffee is pretty bad, service can sometimes be a little slow and it's usually hard to get a seat in peak eating times. On the whole it's a great cafe with a good vibe about it. Most of my friends love the serving sizes, which I personally think are far too large, especially in respect to the portions of meat on them. I really wish they would become more vegan friendly and maybe put allergy information on their menu.

Pros: Fresh Juices, Vegetarian Friendly, Groovy Decor

Cons: Busy, Slow Service, Bad Coffee

Dude....... - Edit

This place was amazing! I had already looked up ideas on here before we checked it out but I wasn't prepared for its awesomeness. There was stuff on the menu that actually said the words "Vegan". I ordered the lasagna, and my husband got the tempeh peanut sandwich thing. Both were seriously huge and worth every non expensive penny! The only thing that I wasn't stoked on was that they close at 3pm and they seemed busy. Pretty helpful though and neat atmosphere.

Pros: Huge portions, Vegan listed in menu, Resonable

Cons: Hours too short, A bit busy, Kinda small

Disappointing - Edit

I'm sorry to say that our visit to Lilipad was disappointing. Although the meals are huge, the flavour of our pumpkin salad (which we chose because it was vegan) was a disappointing mish mash of flavours with the dominant flavour being a cheap vinegar taste. We couldn't even taste the pumpkin or any of the subtler flavours because of this. The oil quality was also poor.

It was busy so it obviously appeals to people on one level, perhaps quantity rather than quality. We are writing this review in the hope that it is taken constructively. On the plus side our spinach leaves in the salad were extremely fresh and the vegetable juice we ordered was good.

Pros: location, friendly

Cons: poor flavours

great food at great prices - Edit

I went here with a vegan and a meat eater and both left happy. The vegan breakfast "As You Like It" was massive and delicious and the breakfast burrito was also huge and tasty. The juices and coffees we ordered were also very good. Highly recommended for vegetarians/vegans in Cairns!!

Pros: great amount of food, delicious food, healthy options

Cons: none to think of

Return to Cairns Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lilipad Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2283 times since Oct 2008.