3100 14th St NW Ste 121 (at entrance on Park Rd), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20010

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian restaurant in modern space. Offers many vegan dishes like lentils, collars greens, salads, and chickpea-based shiro. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-9:30pm.

Categories: Beer/Wine, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by cookiem

Delicious Ethiopian in Columbia Heights - Edit

I've missed Ethiopian food since Meskerem closed in Adams Morgan, and I hadn't found another nearby place that suited. My boyfriend and I recently discovered Letena in Columbia Heights. (While the address says 14th Street, the entrance is on Park Road.) Ethiopian is usually a great option for vegans like me, and Letena marks what's vegan on its menu. They also offer gluten-free injera (although I have no problem with gluten, so I get the regular type). You order your food at the counter, and your meal is brought to your table. The restaurant is open and airy. The service is friendly and helpful.

Our first visit there, the dishes were served individually, and we ate on our own plates. On our second visit, the cashier asked if we wanted everything individual or family style, and when we picked family style, it was served traditional style on the injera. So if you want it served on injera, ask for your food to be served family style.

The vegetarian platter--your pick of four vegetarian meals and two salads for $17.50--is a great deal and will easily serve two people. I wish it came with more than three pieces of injera, but you can ask for more. Stick with water to drink, and you can get a very filling meal for less than $20, including tax.

My favorite Ethiopian dish is shuro wat, and Letena's was a bit more tangy than spicy, which is okay by me. If you like carrots, try the carrot wot, a fluffy, yummy, savory dish. I also loved the mushroom tibs, a mushroom dish with onions.The kik, a mild yellow lentil dish, was not spectacular, but it was tasty; it's my boyfriend's favorite dish. I wasn't crazy about the salads, but my boyfriend likes the beet and potato salad.

The menu is not as extensive as other Ethiopian places I've been to--for example, they don't offer appetizers, and have fewer entree options than other places--but you still get a great meal at a great price.

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive, Friendly service

Cons: Menu not as extensive as other Ethiopian places, You will need to get extra injera

Excellent vegan and vegetarian food - Edit

Many options, comfortable environment, and good food!

Vegan Ethiopian - Edit

Most Ethiopian restaurants just say what is vegetarian, and then you have to ask what is vegan. I feel like Letena is the first Ethiopian restaurant where the menu is marked with VV for vegan and V for vegetarian. Awesome! Only one of the veg*n entree dishes is not vegan- a mushroom dish. Still, there is another mushroom dish that is vegan!

All the delicious standards are there- collards, cabbage, split peas, shiro, lentils and injera. They also have gluten free injera and 4 vegan salads, along with some green bean and carrot dishes. So many choices! You'll be happy and full!

Pros: Almost every veg item is vegan, Menu marks vegan items, Gluten free injera

Cons: Too many choices

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Letena closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.