Les Amants du Marche

Contact 0559027551

1 rue Bourbaki (at Place Foirail), Pau, France, 64800

Organic restaurant located in the north of Pau. Offer creative meals with vegan options prepared using local produce. Drinks menu includes fresh fruit and vegetable juices, beer, cider, wine from local organic family farms, aperitif, tea, and coffee. The atmosphere is pleasant. Reservation suggested for dinner. Change of owners since 2013. Tue-Sat 12:00pm-2:00pm, Tue-Sat 7:30pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, French

First Review by RayLil

Excellent restaurant, frais goutu et copieux! - Edit

Restaurant decouvert Ce soir Avec mom frere et ma belle-soeur, tous deux omni et conquis par la cuisine du chef! Nous avons pris le menu complet (entree-plat-dessert) et sommes repartis repus et satisfaits. Delicieuse soupe de lentille basilic et crumble au kamut, farine de chanvre et carotte en entree, suivi de brick au pois-chich sur polenta aux tomates sechées, roulés aubergines-bettetaves et cake au lentille et garam-masala, puis galette champignons haricot rouge et noisette sauce tomate-pruneaux pour suivre. Une bonne biere au chanvre pour faire passer le tout, et enfin de superbes truffes et une magnifique tarte peche-canneberge (Avec farine de riz et d'amande) pour la touche sucrée.
Une reussite, nous reviendrons!

Pros: accueil chaleureux, produits frais, portions genereuses

Cons: -

very impressive - Edit

We had a very enjoyable evening meal here tonight. Great selection of creative vegetarian food, well prepared and presented and at E22 was good value.
How refreshing to find a quality veg place in France and not having to worry about not ordering animal gizzards by accident due to a lack of the local language. Even though the waitress spoke perfect English it was not required!

Pros: great food, creative ideas, good atmosphere

Dissapointed - Edit

Registered on happy cow specially to write a review about this place.
I was very excited to visit it, since there is not a lot of choice of vegan/vegetarian meals in Pau.
Very disappointed! I was first in the restaurant, came before they started to serve lunch and was served the last one. I did speak English and the stuff was English spoken, which was a nice surprise.
Ended up switching from dining in to take-away, because it took them forever to bring me my food. At the end, waiter used it as an excuse for serving me later, because they had to switch my lunch from the plate to the box. All other 5 tables who came 10-20 mins after me were served on time and almost finished their food.
Poor poor customer service or no customer service at all. I worked at the restaurant and know that things happen, my order might have been put at last (all though other tables ordered the same and got their food). Have guts to apologize at least! Don't blame it on me or somebody else. I know places which would suggest free dessert and do everything for customer to come back.
Sadly, I won't come back to this place during our stay in Pau, neither will I bring my husband or my friends to eat there.

As for a food, I did have a vegetable soup and the portion was generous.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 03, 2014

Pros: English-spoken stuff., Organic

Cons: Slow

Very fine and mainly vegan cuisine - Edit

Coming to this restaurant was a really good surprise. I knew that this area of France (the South-West) was not really vegetarian-friendly and can be even harder for vegans. But this restaurant is really a heaven for ethical-eaters. The place is really peaceful and pleasant. The decoration made of wood creates a warmful atmosphere. The staff is very friendly (originated from Great-Britain, recently new owners of the restaurant) and know how to run efficiently a restaurant. Every detail is thought to create a perfect dinner experience.

Almost every dish on the menu was vegan the evening when we ate. Only one main dish and one dessert were vegetarian. As a starter, we took a mushroom-lentils pâté with smoked tofu and seeds and a polenta with beans and a carot cream cooked in wine. They were excellent in taste and very well presented. We then took two different main dishes: an eggplant "roulé" with beetroot, fennel, cauliflower and chickpeas baked with béchamel sauce and Thai basil, served with a pearl barley risotto, spinach and yeast malt; and a chickpea galette with vegetables and cream. Both were very good and generous. The desserts (a chocolate-apricot cream and a yellow brownie) were also really appetizing even if we were close to be full.

Finally, the experience was amazing at a reasonnable cost for organic and fresh products. Less than 30 euros for a 3-course-meal and a cocktail. I would clearly recommend this restaurant for its food quality.

Pros: excellent food and dish presentation, very vegan-friendly, nice place, friendly staff

Finest vegan food around - Edit

I went there a couple of times, both to lunch and dinner, and it was always a great experience. The food is delicate, innovative and most important delicious! The portion sizes may look a tad small at first but I was satisfied in the end.
To be noted, it can get a bit expensive so I usually go there on big occasions.

Pros: Gourmet food, innovative, Great, peaceful atmosphere

Cons: Can get expensive

good food, to bad the staff is SERIOUS ! - Edit

The food is really quite good in this place, situated next to the organic market (wednesday and saturday mornings). But the staff really needs to brighten up !!! This is the deep of FRANCE, really. Lonely Planet said that the word SERVICE never was invented in France. This place is a proof on this. To bad because the food is really quite good.

Pros: good food, decoration , situation

Cons: staff, staff, uncomfortable

Return to Pau Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Les Amants du Marche closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1867 times since Feb 2011.