Leonor's Mexican Vegetarian Restaurant

Contact 818-762-0660

12445 Moorpark St, Studio City, California, USA, 91604

Leonor's is one of the very first vegetarian/vegan restaurants to serve the San Fernando valley for over 33 years. Offers a variety of healthy and organic versions of Mexican/fast food dishes. Option to turn dishes from vegetarian to vegan. Open Mon-Sun 9:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Pizza, Organic, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by kyvegan

Love this place! - Edit

Ever since they switched to all organic I come here probably too often. I love most of their food - not all of it is to my liking but I know it's just a preference thing because I've heard people go on and on raving about dishes that I don't care for. Highly recommended.

They do serve eggs though, so they are not 100% vegan. Most of their food though is vegan.

Updated from previous review on 2016-06-07

Pros: price

Cons: none

Vegans should specify! - Edit

When we came here, we heard about the soy cheese having casein but then the problem was repaired. We got the chili nachos. Looking back at the menu, it said at the top "Choice of vegan or vegetarian cheese" but the thing is the waiters don't ask you which one you want. We realized this just before our food was done being prepared for us. We forgot to specify and it came with the soy cheese, so they remade it but charged us. So be careful when ordering! The food was pretty good and we will probably come back again, but just beware of the cheese!

Pros: fast, lots of options

Cons: the soy cheese w/ casien

A Fun Try - Edit

I have been to this restaurant probably 3 times. It's not the best, but it's worth a try. The food is relatively cheap and the portion sizes are large. Most of the menu is vegan. The soy cheese is NOT vegan. They tell you that up front, and it's written on the menu. I've had burritos, sandwiches, juice, empanadas. All were good, and I was happy with the experience.

Pros: Cheap, mostly vegan, pretty good food

Cons: soy cheese is not vegan

soy cheese is not vegan, but unique Mexican vegetarian - Edit

I like them simply for being this authentic Mexican and vegetarian. Good chips and salsa, and beet/cabbage side salad. Their food is also basically unsalted, so I ended up taking the beans and rice home, heating them up with Earth Balance and a little salt, plus adding the rest of my salsa, to make it tasty. I live near by, so would likely in the future order take out and alter it at home, if I was craving Mexican.

Pros: authentic Mexican , completely vegetarian , juices and salads

Cons: soy cheese is not vegan , refried beans are bland

Contributions +64

If you're going to lie about vegan cheese... - Edit

I have to admit I went here once and that was all I needed to see. This was pre-Daiya and the cheese was unbelievably stretchy on the pizza. I asked the waitress point-blank how it could stretch so well and be vegan. She said it was soy cheese.

It wasn't good pizza, but the cheese was very cheesy.

When I got home I looked it up on the web and there was an avalanche of info on their whey-infused cheese.

If you're going to lie, at least make it so flavorful that people would be willing to overlook it. I'm never going back.

Cons: not vegan cheese

This Leonor's Location - Edit

This Leonor's location is the one that my husband and I dine at occasionally when we are in the area. Here's my review.

The last time we were here we sat at the counter and ordered a veggie chili tostada, a burrito, and a cold flax tea. There were other patrons but only 1 waitress. But that didn't matter, because our food came in a speedy time and piping hot (not spicy). Yummy, too. We finished everything on our plates.

The food at this Leonor location is consistently good. Would definitely return when in the mood for vegetarian Mexican.

Pros: it's vegetarian, large portions, cheap prices

Cons: too much mockmeats

Such great Mexican Vegetarian Food! - Edit

I was by Studio City this one day and i decided to try this little restaurant of whitset and moorpark...The plate i ordered was their special chicken salad. WoW! i was really impressed of the mixture of ingredients it had...chicken soy cheese...The people there are so nice and welcomed.Ever since i have been going every time im around the area...(:

OK - Edit

Their Mexican food is very bland and not to my liking. . But the burgers are okay for the kids if vegetarian. Is the "meat" really vegan...not sure; the cheese is not. The pizza is good but maybe they should change to Daiya or some other vegan cheese to serve vegans as well.
Vegan Mexican food can taste really really good; just ask my meat-eating friends...lol...enchiladas, sopes, guaraches, "pollo" con mole, tamales....u tell me I'll meke it vegan. :)

Pros: Vegan "friendly", price, vegetarian

Cons: Not sure its vegan

unfortunately its as bad as the other reviews say - Edit

Despite the poor reviews of Lenor's, I tried it because its one of the only focused vegetarian restaurant in sherman oaks. Sad to say the bad reviews were right on. Incredibly bland tasteless buritos. The mushroom quesadea wasnt bad - but certainly not good enough to save the place. They dont really seem to care too much about the food. Definitely wont be going back.

Pros: mushroom quesadea

Cons: generally bland food

as bland and bad as it gets - Edit

I tried taking back the food because it was so bland and tasteless. The woman had an attitude and said "its vegetarian, what do you expect"
Some of the food was unsalvageable, other parts of it I could save with the condiments on the table.
One of the worst dining experiences of my life

Pros: juice

Cons: attitude, taste of food, freshness of food

The Truth - Edit

I wasn't expecting fine dining & to be frank I love hole in the wall places. So location and ambiance have nothing to do with my review. I hate to say it but this restaurant was big disappointment. To say the food is bland would be an understatement. The only redeeming quality, if there could be one, is that the portions are indeed huge. The sad fact is that just meant more had to go in the trash.

Pros: Portions

Cons: Taste

the best - Edit

i love this place. their prices are totally reasonable and they're really nice people. more importantly the food is just awesome. seriously... try it.

Pros: large menu and portions, nice people/ family place, very affordable

Cons: not "fine dining"

good and simple - Edit

If you like the salty spicy mexican food, then this is not the place. The food is very simple and plain. Not a lot of salt on anything that I have gotten. But you can always season to taste. Their rice and beans are really yummy, especially with the Bolivian sauce. I really enjoy this place. My dinner meal is so large that it becomes lunch for the next day too! My husband (vegetarian, not vegan) always gets the pizza. They did tell us that the cheese was not vegan.
And the prices are fantastic!
Recommended.

Pros: great prices, yummy, big portions

vegans beware - Edit

I used to eat at Leonor's on a biweekly basis. I had been assured by the servers that their soy cheese was casein-free and that their various meat alternatives were vegan. Since that time, a lot of controvery has arisen as to whether or not these claims are true. Several interceptions of delivery trucks have led message board posters to caution fellow vegans to stay away based on information that the soy cheese and chicken contain casein and egg whites, respectively. This saddens me greatly. I loved their pizzas and enchilladas, and found all of the low priced mexican entrees to be quite delicious. But I won't be going here any more. Still a great place for vegetarians to eat, but it's hard to have respect for a place that doesn't show that same respect to its customers.

Pros: affordable food, large menu, great mexican fare

Cons: don't trust the servers, ingredient controversy

Return to Studio City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Leonor's Mexican Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4031 times since Aug 2007.