Lekker GEC

• Vegan
Contact 09-2428750

Maria-Hendrikaplein 5-6, Ghent, Belgium, B-9000 Gent

Vegan restaurant. Self-service by weight - your plate goes on the scale; you take what you like as much as you like and pay for just that. Has shakes and ice cream. Also information centre for ecology. Day meals served 12-2:30pm and 6-8:30pm. Closes last two weeks of July month.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Western, Take-out

First Review by philipwi

Lovely vegetable-based buffet - Edit

We really enjoyed the buffet at Lekker Gec. There were six or seven hot dishes to choose from, all of them centred on vegetables rather than meat replacements, which I loved. There was also soup and salad, though we didn't explore those options. You can order chips separately, and I wish we had done so - they looked amazing!

Service was friendly, and we also had some delicious hot chocolate and cake. It was pretty busy at dinner time, so it might be worth booking.

Great chips and a lot more - Edit

We went for the lunch buffet and weren't disappointed - a good choice of salad and 6 vegan dishes. There should be something for everyone. But be careful with loading you rplate too full since you pay per weight. The chips were particularly good - we ordered a big portion for the two of us and almost couldn't finish them. Make sure to order the veganaise (vegan mayo) with the chips. I really liked it, although I usually never put anything on my chips. But this one was really fresh and and felt quite light (I am sure it wasn't).
The also serve vegan milkshakes and cake.

Pros: The chips and the veganaise, Plenty of choice

Cons: Not in the centre, A bit expensive

Another Excellent Choice in Ghent! - Edit

I visited Lekker GEC with my girlfriend for lunch on the 9th March 2014. The food is very good and very fresh. We found the staff (like all the Belgians we met) to be very friendly. It was a sunny day so the nice outdoor seating to the front was full, inside was equally as nice though. Our two meals, two salads (the buffet has a salad section, a hot section and a desert section) and two glasses of wine came to 34 euro, representing excellent value for money. I would recommend arriving early, we got there 45 minutes before closing and some dishes were starting to run out - this place is popular!

100% Vegan - Edit

As part of a group of 4 traveling several weeks ago, I visited and thoroughly enjoyed a meal here. Rumor that staff are volunteers is simply not accurate. Food is sold by weight. Wine prices fairly reasonable. Shake was very good.
Manager, Robert, was very accomodating. Ask for him with any questions or concerns!

Pros: organic, fresh, fair pricing

Convenient Vegan Restaurant - Edit

Very handy position opposite railway station.
Food was excellent although not massive choice.
Dishes are sold by weight.
Service was very good.
The garden is surrounded by vegetables growing.
Would certainly return.

Pros: Convenient location for train

Cons: A little pricey.

Yet another nice place in Ghent - Edit

The trouble with Ghent is that there's too much choice. Lekker would easily be the best place in town in most cities twice Ghent's size in say France or Spain. It's a typical "load your plate up and pay by weight" hot and cold buffet. Food is tasty and varied and great for vegans - while you are in the queue you can order a portion of excellent,piping hot freshly made frites with mayonnaise (or ketchup) so as to feel you've really been in Belgium. It's literally opposite the main train station, so a little out of town but it's realy easy to jump on a tram to the station.

Pros: Lots of vegan choices, Frites

Cosy! - Edit

I eat here quite often and the food is always good. Also very cosy atmoshpere, nice to have long chats during dinner or to read a newspaper or book while eating. It's quite expensive though, but maybe I should just eat less :) Also, all ingredients are bio-labeled!

So-so - Edit

I found the food here kind of uninspiring. The bread and soup were good (the soup was pretty salty, though), but the salads weren't. The dishes seemed healthy, and that's always a plus. I found it difficult to locate, but when I did, I realised tat the location was quite convenient. It's economical, but it's not food you'd get excited about. I don't know if I'd go back there if I went to Belgium again.

I thought the staff was pretty nice.

Pros: Quite cheap, Filling, Relatively healthy

Cons: Not very good food in some ways, Strange location

Lovely vegan buffet - Edit

Nice restaurant, 100m from the trainstation. Friendly people, all volunteers. The buffet is very tasty and varied. You serve yourself and afterwards they weigh your plate. So if you're really hungry, it maight be a bit expensive...
Most certainly worth wile a visit!!!

Pros: Excellent food, healthy cuisine, nice atmosphere

Cons: a bit pricy if you take 2 much on plate

Overpriced buffet food which lacks flavour - Edit

I enjoyed the piece of cake I had a Lekker GEC, but I have to say the salad bar and warm buffet was truly disappointing; bland and boring vege food which lacked imagination. There was a choice of 5 different warm items that all seemed like vege sides (stewed cabbage, plain white rice, zucchini stew, roasted potatoes and a vege stir fry) to a main dish that was absent. This food was definitely not the kind of food I would go out for! If I didn't know better I'd suspect that non-vegetarians designed the menu (people that don't understand how to make innovative and exciting vegan food).

It was pretty expensive for what it was too- all up we paid 35 euros for two reasonably small plates of food (you are charged by weight of food on plate), 2 glasses of wine and a piece of cake. They charge you 2 euros per person service fee, even though you serve yourself and also clean up after your self. I probably would have forgiven the unimaginative food if say it was really cheap. I understand this place is run by volunteers, well where does the money for this overpriced food go? Are they fundraising for something? Yeah, generally not impressed with this place... If you are visiting Gent I'd recommend the lunchtime spot Avalon 100 times over Lekker GEC.

Pros: Tasty cake

Cons: Expensive, Bland

Good, simple, vegan food - Edit

A little away from the main town (near St Peters Railway Station) but well worth checking out for cheap vegan food. This place has an all you can eat buffet, which I didn't try but looked popular and a menu of various items which all looked interesting. I had the veggie burger and chips (which was just a burger, not served in a bun), soup and a chcolate cake. The soup was delicious, as was the roll which seemed freshly baked. The burger seemed to contain tofu, lentils and other ingredients and was totally delcious, maybe one of the best I've had. It came with a choice of vegan mayo or ketchup, chips and a huge plate of various salads. A very filling meal but I had to have a piece of very gooey vegan chocolate cake too. This meal, for two people, cost around 35 euros, with drinks, and I felt it very good value. The menu was not in english but all the staff seemed to speak good english so there was no problem there.

Pros: All vegan, Huge Portions, Delicious food

Cons: A little away from the main town

Funky Lunch Spot - Edit

This was a perfect place for lunch! It's set up cafeteria style where you can either grab a tray and choose your own food or you can order a set menu from the person at the cash. My boyfriend chose the seitan stew with fries/chips and vegan mayo and salad. I had the lunch plate, which was a small buffet-style selection of salads, ratatouille, amazing baked aubergine, rice/mushroom fritters, etc. We also shared a fresh strawberry milkshake made from soy milk and soy ice cream. We ate outside on their terrace amongst their mini veggie garden, where some of the herbs and veggies that use are grown. I'll definitely be back if I'm every in Gent again!

Pros: lots of food!, good quality, low prices

Cons: menu choices not clear

Good food - Edit

Lekker Gec always serves good, wholesome food.
The only thing non-vegan is a little glass of cheese if you order spaghetti, but just ask fo some nutritional yeast instead. They'll love you for it.

December 2007 update - Edit

Wow, what a find ... for a country which doesn't aahve much of a veggy tradition, this id a great place! Helpful staff but be careful, the menu isn't translated for us poor Brits! But the staff are very helful and the food ... portion size may be an issue .. if there's an option, unless you're very hungry, go for the smaller size plates! Dish of the day is well worth trying. Next door to an Oxfam shop, which sells Fairtrade goods and opposite the main (St Pieterstation)

Return to Ghent Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lekker GEC closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6199 times since Aug 2007.