CLOSED: Leaf

Contact 040-87095177

Eulenstrasse 38, Hamburg, Germany,

Nice atmosphere. Offering German and international plus coffee, cake, and snacks. Confirmed closed, Feb 2017. Open Tue-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 3:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Asian, German

First Review by Laudi

Expensive but superb - Edit

Leaf offers excellent vegan food that unfortunately I couldn't afford to go to very often. But if I lived in Hamburg this would be my venue of choice for all birthday and "released from prison' type celebrations! The menu is only in German - fair enough it is Hamburg! - but the friendly staff wrote out the main dishes on a napkin in english! the deserts may only be limited to a choice of three but they are exquisite.
Try this place even if only once you're worth it.

Added June 2016
We called in late in the evening in search of dessert and were not disappointed. We chose to sit outside it being a pleasant evening but too cold for the locals to choose to do so! A good large earl grey tea and a fancy coffee accompanied an excellent chocolate fruit crumble cake that had perfect crunchy light crumble on top, a soft doughy base and a tasty fruit filling in between. If it had been sugar free I,d have ordered another two but it was more than my "on holiday" sugar allowance would allow. My erstwhile foodie partner had an interesting sweet that came on a slate and seemed to be a rice pudding like substance, topped with nectarine slices with pistachio ice cream on the side. A delicious combination. This place ain't cheap but if you like fancy food it's well worth it.
Service was lovely too!

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Pleasant decor

Cons: Expensive, Need to book esp at weekends, Menu in german

ausgezeichnete, wechselnde Gerichte - Edit

Die Menükarte wechselt etwa jedes Quartal, sodass ich mich deswegen jederzeit mit Freude auf neue Köstlichkeiten freuen kann. Die Küche ist hervorragend.
Die Preise entsprechen zwar denen von höherklassigen gewöhnlichen Restaurants, dafür bietet es für Veganer Die Adresse schlechthin für ein höherklassiges Pendant.

Pros: wechselnde Gerichte, für verschiedene Geschmäcker

Cons: Einrichtung eher Richtung rustikal

Der hochgelobte Laden ein Reinfall - Edit

Leider wurden wir hier total enttäuscht. Jeder Zentimeter wurde mit Tischen zugestellt. Unser Tisch stand in der Nähe der Garderobe zu den Toiletten. Ich selber guckte links und geradeaus gegen Wände. Rechts mit etwas Abstand auch. unmöglich. Essen war unter aller Kanone. Eine kalte Rotkohksuppe (war leider nicht als kalt deklariert in der Karte), dazu (unpassend und eklig) Senf-Eis!...
Ein Mal und nie wieder!

Cons: expensive

It's a question of speed - Edit

No doubt, the Leaf is one of the best vegan/vegetarian restaurants in Hamburg. It's not a restaurant where you can eat until one is full. It's creative cooking to some extent. The menu is small, but changing regularly.

It's small, and I like the interior. I've been there two times, and the real problem is the service: It takes much too long till the meals are served. And that's why I throw it from my list.
Updated from previous review on Sunday April 12, 2015

Pros: Quality, Creativity

Cons: Service, Speed

Gourmet! - Edit

This is a great place to have an exquisite dinner. We did. I can`t remember the name of the dish I had but it was so delicious. I could not even tell what I was eating, there was something similar to calamares in it, but I trust that it was all vegan! The decoration and the atmosphere are great, too.

Nice place for vegan dining - Edit

Try the root beet soup! I love it!
They offer good wines and nice food. Price is ok. Cheesecake Berliner was la little too sour.

Pros: warm atmosphere, big portions, good music

Cons: no chocolate or praline

Best veganrestaurant I know in Hamburg - Edit

I've been here several times and I simply love it. The menue changes every two or three month and offers just a few options of verry delicious and creative food.
You have to reserve a table, otherwise you won't get a seat. I've been there with friends, family, and business partners, with vegs, vegans and omnivores - everyone loved the food. It's allways hard to choose the meal, because everything sounds so good.
The stuff is friendly and the vintage tables and seats let you feal like home. :)

Pros: Creative Food, Changing menue

Cons: It's slightly too expansive to go there as often a

Disappointing - Edit

Before I say anything else, I'd like to say that I am pleased and appreciative that there is actually a vegan restaurant in Hamburg! I read the reviews online, and came here quite excited to maybe finally experience some amazing vegan food in Germany, as so far I haven't experienced anything worth repeating.
I am also someone who spends quite a bit of time on the west coast of the United States, where one can be spoiled with so much choices and abundance of healthy, organic, vibrant vegan food. So I do have quite a high standard I suppose.....

That said, I do feel compelled to say, that our dinner at Leaf was hugely disappointing. Huge plates with small portions and a high price. Lots of dishes relying on seitan, tofu, and flour, which I find all quite unhealthy. No fresh greens or raw salads of any kind. Strange food combining, with melon in some savory dishes, which nutritionally, to me spells bad digestion.
Our salad was nothing more than a tiny pile of shaved cucumbers with some nori in a sauce and a little chunk of grilled watermelon...so little food and not very satisfying. We had a creamy green bean soup that said it had smoked tofu, which was more like those little soy protein crumbles. OK flavour for a soup but very very little served in the biggest bowl I've ever seen.
The main dish was the worst. There were four choices- 2 with seitan, one with polenta, and I forget the last. I normally don't go for seitan but we thought we'd give it a try without so many options. It was just a big pile of seitan with a port-wine sauce and some kind of floury white gratin. It was seriously like bland cafeteria food. Sad.
After all this, I wasn't brave enough nor wanted to spend another 10 Euro on dessert.
Just not very tasty flavorful food...some creative ideas and unusual combinations but it didn't all meld into a sensational delicious experience for my palate.

I feel a bit bad to say it, with so many glowing reviews, and I can say the place is cute and cozy, and our server was friendly (for German eating-out standards....)
But honestly the food, in my opinion, was terrible for the price.

Updated from previous review on Thursday September 19, 2013

Pros: friendly, cozy, creative, organic

Cons: expensive, small portions, not so tasty, not very healthy

meringa 22 Nov 2013 - Thank you!
I had exactly the same sad and expensive experience in this "restaurant". Bis dishes and nothing healthy on them, i think they work a lot because the strong gentrification in the area :-(

Excellent meal in a lovely, cosy place - Edit

We had dinner at Leaf restaurant for our anniversary. Such a cosy, well decorated place with friendly staff. We had 3 course meal, which was very well presented, delicious and tasteful. Very nice and different soft drinks also a menu in English which was a bonus. We were very pleased with everything . If we visit Hamburg again, we will eat in this place again for sure.
Updated from previous review on Monday July 08, 2013

Food that makes a bad day turn good - Edit

they have good and even better days. Food is always good but sometimes it is really a revolution of tastes. Their "egg nogg" dessert is of such kind... great cakes as well.

Pros: simply delicious, nice staff

Cons: sometimes the food takes quite long

Delicious food and delightful cosy atmosphere. - Edit

I can sincerely say that Leaf has provided me with the best meals I ever ate in Hamburg. In many ways Leaf even surpasses Terre à Terre in Brighton, England - which many regard as Europe's best veggie restaurant. Leaf is 100% vegan, so the food is even healthier, and the warm atmosphere just adds to the great experience.
Also very nice drinks and a menu in English.
If you're in Northern Germany then I can thoroughly recommend making a detour to visit this gem of a restaurant.

Pros: Remarkable food, lovely atmosphere

Cons: pity I don't live in Hamburg !

Haute cuisine - Edit

The menu at the 'Leaf' is changeing every five weeks and I experienced all menus in the last year.
I can say that the food is excellent, different and with a lot of love! Every menu is surprising me again and again. The higher price is justified because of the high quality, difficulty level and the brilliant tast.
There are always options without soy, gluten or raw. They really do everything by themself so it's always possible to change something.

Furthermore, they offer a wide range of different excellent wines, spirits, selfmade lemonade and other drinks.

The 'Leaf' is one of my favourite restaurants! You should not miss that when you are in Hamburg
Updated from previous review on Friday April 05, 2013

Pros: excellent food, changing menu, friendy staff

Wonderful - Edit

Lovely place with a lovely atmosphere, great food and generous portions too, with really friendly service. Can't say enough good things about it, will definitely go back if I'm ever in Hamburg again.

Pros: Great food, Great atmosphere, Great service

Great experience not to be missed in Hamburg - Edit

I went there on a Sunday night after spotting the place on HC. I showed up at 10pm and although they were running out of food, I was eventually offered a meal consisting of pastas & gulash with seitan. I was even alarmed by the team that my meal may not suit my alcool-free lifestyle as the gulash was cooked with wine. I had a delicious panna cotta for desert. Moreover on this rainy evening, I was happy to find a cosy location with nice music in the background and a helpful team.
Maybe the only neutral feedback would be Id rather have had wholewheat pastas instead of white, but this is only a detail.

Pros: Tasteful, Friendly service, Nice atmosphere

Good size starters - Edit

Although I thought the main courses were a bit expensive (around €15-€16) I was happy with the appetizers at between €4 and €6 and found the portion sizes to be really generous.

I had a large appetizer salad for €8 and there was plenty to eat and my fried had the coconut soup for €4 and it was also huge for the price. Also the freshly squeezed juice was only €2 which was a bargain.

The staff didn't seems at all troubled that we were only eating starters and they were very nice.

More raw food would of course be welcome but it was a nice upmarket place to eat and chill out.

Recommended.

Pros: Big starters

Cons: Expensive Main courses

Great VEGAN restaraunt - Edit

Leaf is a great VEGAN restaurant; I went there with some non-veggie work colleagues for dinner. The food and the service were excellent and everyone was impressed! Keep-up the good work Leaf; I'll be back next time I'm in Hamburg!

Nice place, good food, fair prices - Edit

We were there in June 2012 and we enjoi the place and the food. It was so nice that we decided after we had a brunch in a nice sunny day to comeback in the evening to eat for dinner. The personnel is very friendly and as loving hut was closed in the week, this remained the only vegan option. Food is fine with some creative solutions, the place is cute with some romantic touch. If you are vegan and in Hamburg then don't miss it.

Pros: good food, friendly staff, nice place

Solid restaurant - Edit

I had reserved a table for me and my partner and ended up arriving early at around 6 on a Wednesday evening. There were only two people dining at that point, but it did get a lot busier towards 8 o'clock. The place wasn't that big so I'd suggest making a reservation just in case.

For the food, we ordered an appetizer, two mains and a dessert to share:

Halved and grilled avocado stuffed with tofu - good and different. Expected more though given the price tag
Canarian potatoes with red & green mojo, seitan & water spinach stir-fry - OK but salty
Herb-stuffed potato balls, green salad with mushrooms - potato balls were good, mushrooms not bad, but again quite salty
Mixed berry poppy seed cake - light, not very sweet. Frosting made from cream blended with berries and poppy seed. Cake layers were thin, a little dry and bland

Menu was in German only, but waitress spoke English and would gladly explain everything. Service was cordial. Food was overall pretty tasty but heavy on the salt. Good portion size except for the starter. We paid €46 including a big bottle of sparkling water, a little high I felt.

Pros: cute decor, service

Cons: salty food, price

A lovely vegan restaurant - Edit

I love this resturant. My sister and I had diffrent food and we were both happy with that.
Reservations required.

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: a little expensive

Finally some fine food! - Edit

The food was well thought, tasty, interesting and beautifully set. The prices are a bit high, but for a good reason. Wine was also good. Actually the first time I get to have a bit of a fine dine feeling with vegan food in Europe. The portions are according to that. I recommend taking a menu if you don't wanna leave hungry. All in all - very good job!

Pros: Interesting food, Beautiful plates, Vegan

Great food, a bit on the pricey side (for Hamburg) - Edit

Ate here last week with friends. The food was excellent. I had the baked avocado with a mushroom and 'cream' sauce stuffed crepe. Friends had the moussaka and the seitan pepper steak.

Great place for a nice dinner out. Mains were about 13 euro. Good wine selection. Beers were 3 or 4 euro.

Good service. Would definitely recommend for a nicer experience.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan!

Cons: A little pricey

Absolutely Delicious - Edit

If you are vegan (or not) and live in Hamburg or visit Hamburg, this place is absolutely the place to go! Very nice and cozy atomosphere, very nice staff, and the food is fantastic. The portions are very generous and the prices very good considering the perfect quality of the food.

Pros: Delicious food, Great menue, Very friendly staff

Return to Hamburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Leaf closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.