CLOSED: Le Veg Table

+261-202228989

32 rue de Liege Tsaralalana, Antananarivo, Madagascar, 101

The Sole Hotel's restaurant (vegetarian) which is also open to the public. You access the restaurant via the hotel and is located on the 4th floor (top floor with some view of the city). No elevator. Offers breakfast, pizza and snacks until 2:00 pm and after 6:00 pm a small variety of Italian (pizza, pasta) and a larger variety of Indian dishes. Vegans please inquire. Reported closed, Oct 2017. Closed Sun.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Indian, Italian

First Review by Ryecatcher

High-quality Indian - Edit

This place is THE veggie place in Tana, so for that reason alone I'd recommend it!* But the dishes I had were truly excellent. I actually stayed in the hotel on some of my visits, partly allured by the restaurant. I only had the Indian dishes, which make up the bulk of the menu, but (as an Indian food lover) they were high-quality.

The options are a bit puzzling. The hotel owners are Indian, so that explains that. But the other few options are Italian--which (see my note), as any veg visitor to Mad will tell you, one will be trying to avoid whenever possible, because those are the options *everywhere* for a veg! What I desperately wished they would have had is authentic-ish *Madagascar* veg alternatives. This is the obvious choice, yet I didn't find it anywhere in Mad during my visit (outside of rice/ pasta with veg, which admittedly is something locals eat!).

I should note that the portions were very small for the price. But it's hard to complain when it tasted so good and was well-prepared. In addition, the server (always the same when I was there) is very sweet!

I have to disagree with some aspects of the other current review. First, yes, English is limited, as it is everywhere in Mad, but I think she spoke enough for the situation. If you know Indian and Italian food at all, it's hard to imagine what the problem would be. I used my poor French & she understood me. I don't think it's so bad for the vegan -- I admit I relax my vegan standards a bit traveling... but I do think that the server & the restaurant understand vegan needs. Yes, it will limit your options, but there are options -- again, picture Indian/ Italian and you'll have the idea.

It's also not so hard to find. I do think they rearranged it; as of now, it's on the main level (up one level), where the lobby is, split into parts; just search for 'Sole Hotel', then ask in the lobby. True, it's not very busy, so support it! But few places in Mad were populated when I was there. And hours are often variable in Mad.

*That said, Mad is not so bad for veg*ns -- while things can get mundane quickly, that's also true for meat-eaters, and one can normally find pizza, pasta, or rice & veggies anywhere, and sometimes veggie au gratin; for vegans, the pasta and rice options... & one can get pizza without cheese (Sakamanga in Tana center actually serves a good one automatically w/o cheese!). Quality varies enormously, but is sometimes excellent... and again, that's true for meat-eaters, too, I think.

Pros: Tasty & high-quality, One fully veg place in Tana (Mad?)

Cons: Very small portions, Wish they had 'Madagascar' dishes

Best place for vegetarians supposedly in whole MAD - Edit

Whilst the restaurant isn't advertised very good, the Sole Hotel is relatively easy to find. So you enter the building through a staircase leading up, turn left on the first floor (on the right hand side is a small cafe which also belongs to the hotel), access the hotel through a door and go up the stairs to the 4th floor.
There is a fair amount of tables and the decoration is quite nice; above all everything is very clean and therefore provides best conditions to feel comfortable. For some reasons there you don't get any napkins (unless you ask for some, I guess); furthermore there was no key for the restroom (to look it from inside when you are in), but that might have been temporarily issues.
I was told the opening hours are from 6 am until 2 pm and then from 6 pm until 10 pm, but sometimes they do close earlier, so don't take that for granted. The more complicated dishes on the menu (mainly the Indian ones) seem to be available only in the evening.
The staff was friendly and helpful and spoke a bit English but not enough to have a longer conversation. They will do an effort to advise you, but if you don't speak any French (or Malagasy), that's a challenge.
Important: Please note that there are only few vegan options on the menu which aren't clearly indicated as such, so you have to ask and be very specific and clear about your wishes. Best you print out a V-Card in French and Malagasy, since veganism in Madagascar is something very unusual and exotic.
Supposedly 'Veg Table' is the only vegetarian restaurant in the whole country, so do support it to make it last. I was there about six or seven times and was the only guest most of the time. They won't be able to afford staying vegetarian if there are no costumers supporting that.
Food was good and affordable (for Western standards pretty inexpensive).
In Europe I would give three cows for a restaurant like this, but since 'Veg Table' upholds the vegetarian issue in Madagascar they deserve to receive some advance praise.

Pros: friendly staff, clean, good food

Cons: no napkins; no toilette key, requires negotiation to get sth. vegan, somewhat unexciting

Return to Antananarivo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Le Veg Table closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.