Le Soleil Brille

Contact 05-46411142

13, rue des Cloutiers, La Rochelle, France, 17000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Le Soleil Brille pour tout le mond usually offers several vegetarian options. Generous portions. Reservations may be necessary.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine, French, Non-veg

First Review by Pinto Bean

Vegetarian friendly resto - Edit

As a vegan I found the choices in the menu rather vegetarian friendly than vegan, however they accomodated by removing certain ingredients out of the salad dish. There are 3 vegetarian salads you can choose and it's better to make sure with them you dont eat eggs and diary.
Very cosy small restaurant, you'd better book a table to have a table. The owner seems to be always in a hurry, he took reservation on the phone so hastly and same behaviour when taking the order at our table. I hardly asked if the 'quinoa galette' in the salad contained eggs, that he said 'i m not sure, i will ask to remove it'! He didnt take or have time to explain the dishes to us. So, litterally in my salad I only had green salad, tomatos, some avocado slices, grated carrot and that's it. Although it's a big portion.
My omnivore chubby meanwhile did enjoy his beef stew plate which seems to have nice flavor.
Prices are very reasonable especially in la Rochelle.

Since we didnt find any other veggie resto, it is acceptable for us to eat here. Only after leaving the resto that we took a walk to the indoor market nearby and discovered a kind of food truck inside with vegetarian sandwiches. It is open only in the morning until 13:30. To be checked out next time!

Pros: Nice deco, Cosy atmostphere, Cheque vacances accepted

Cons: Not whole-hearted service, No advice for vegan choice, Vegan adaptable but became poor salad dish

Homey food - Edit

Not always easy to find vegeratian food in a harbour town like La Rochelle. Le Soleil Brille Pour Tout Le Monde has been a good option for the vegetarian and vegan for more than a decade.
They serve quiches, pies (9,50 euros), crepes, salads, vegetarian plate and a dish of the day (11) which was lasagna when I last visit. Vegetarian for me (lentils replaced the meat) and regular (for my non-vegetarian friends). Big portions of confort food, small but homey restaurant tucked in a small street a stone throw away from the market square.

Pros: Good value, Tasty, Hearty

Cons: Small, Very often full (book ahead!)

Le Soleil Brille - Edit

After finding that a restaurant listed as 100% vegetarian on Happy Cow had since closed down, hungry and sad in La Rochelle, France, we were recommended "Le Soleil Brille pour tout le monde" by the Tourist Info lady as one which might be willing to accommodate my needs for both a vegetarian and dairy-free meal along with my intollerances to various common ingredients. Having experienced many a dire offering at non-veggie restaurants in the past, I was HUGELY impressed by the very friendly and careful chef who took great pains to find out what I could and could not eat and gave me the best mixed salad with nuts and a fried grain thing, all beautifully presented, that I have ever had outside of a veggie restaurant. Huge plate and very reasonably priced. I was greatly touched by the good-hearted concern and efforts to feed me, despite it not advertising itself as catering for vegetarians or 'special diets' from the outside. The owner said he was used to catering for people from all over the world (the restaurant has won many awards from a back packers' organisation) and so had had a lot of experience of catering for differing dietary needs. My partner - alas, non-veggie - thoroughly enjoyed his meal too.

Return to La Rochelle Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Le Soleil Brille closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1915 times since Mar 2009.