Le Potager du Marais

Contact 01-57409857

24 rue Rambuteau, Paris, France, 75003

Very small, rustic Paris vegan restaurant decorated with lush plants. Serves French cuisine in vegan versions: soups, tarte, pate, patty, gratin, moussaka, dessert. A pastry chef prepares the desserts which might include lemon bars, carrot cake, and blueberry bundt. Offers a 3-course dinner menu. Reservation suggested to ensure seating. Kitchen stops at 10pm. Vegan since 2012. Directions: From metro station Rambuteau, you see rue Rambuteau from the exit, the place is 50 meters on the left.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Beer/Wine, French

First Review by MBermingham

Back again and still good! - Edit

We booked to eat here again and it was well worth the 6 hour drive from the Dordogne to eat here! Ok, so we were on our way home and made a point to stop off in Paris and whilst in Paris, the only place to eat all Vegan food in an August Evening is here. Most other Vegan/Veg places aren't open in the evenings [2016]

We were remembered, which is nice, as it had been a year since we were last back. Loved the fact that we were able to glide past the queues of people waiting outside for a table.

The same staff were still there and still friendly. The food was delicious. I ordered a burger and when it arrived, I was disappointed for a millisecond as there was no bun. That feeling soon disappeared when I took in the overall presentation of the food. That was further confirmed when I tasted the burger, WOW! Honestly, the bun would have hidden the flavour and been a disservice.

The test of the dish was brilliant too, the joux, the mash, all good.

The place hadn't changed from the last time we were here and that is a good thing. To keep on putting out the same great tasting food is compliment enough.

Keep it up guys and we will be back again next year to check up on you!

Pros: happy english speaking staff, tasty food, all vegan

Cons: too much choice [if that can be a bad thing!], slightly cramped, again not bad!

very good - Edit

Food is very good. You'll have tastes that you can't find anywhere else. Burger was excellent. It's a must seen vegan place in Paris.
You have to book in advance !

Decoration wasn't amazing: kind of dark.

Au top! - Edit

Petit restaurant bien sympathique!
Les serveurs sont souriant et arrangeant! Nous avons eu la chance d'obtenir une table sans réservé. Je dit chance car celles qui nous ont suivi n'ont pas pu trouver de place.

Merci, c'étais bien bon! Le crumble au fruit rouge est juste excellent!
Le service est rapide.
Nous étions en terrasse extérieure. Au top avec ce petit couché de soleil!

Worth finding 4 good quality meal & great service - Edit

2016 Update:
We revisited the cafe - much easier to find now Happycow has a mobile app. And it's fantastic to see that the cafe has moved next-door to have bigger premises AND gone Vegan! The food was as great as we remembered - especially the seitan bourguignon with mashed potato - and the business is clearly thriving in the larger premises, offering a wider menu (including VEGAN CHOCOLATE MOUSSE)!

2008 Review:
This is a lovely small restaurant. Having read other reviews we went looking for it armed with the address and a map and still nearly missed the narrow entrance. It is worth looking for, through, and a good stop-off if you're going to the Pompidou Centre.
The service was great, very friendly. They had English versions of the menu chalked onto their mini blackboards (there is a set menu and daily specials) and spoke good English too. They were happy to explain which dishes were vegan.
The food has a good range of French influenced and international with a fresh, good quality and home-made feel. There were loads of vegan options on the main menu and the specials board.
We tried a vegan "beef" in red wine stew, quinoa burger with a gorgeous creamy - yet vegan - mushroom sauce, and their vegan desserts were delicious, especially the chocolate tart. Freshly squeezed juices, vegan coffees are good. The Hot chocolate is excellent and everyone should try it!
It's not cheap - restaurant prices rather than cafe prices - we had a great meal for about £20-£25 each. But it is a relaxed good quality meal with good service.

Pros: Vegan , Range , Good quality

Poor service twice - Edit

I really hate to write a bad review, because the food is great. I was in Paris for four days recently. I went here for lunch my first day. There was a rubber band in my food. Waiter apologized, but didn't bring me a new meal or offer to comp the food. At the end he gave me a free tea (basically no cost for them).
I decided to try again, because France doesn't have the same standards of service as the U.S..
I showed up 5 minutes after they opened for lunch. Two people had already ordered their food at this point. I told the waitress I was in a hurry, because I had to catch a flight. I ordered soup and lasagna. Soup took 30 minutes to get. Soup just needs to be ladled into bowl. Not prepared. Lasagna still hadn't arrived at 45 minutes. I kept asking, especially because people who arrive 25 minutes after me already had their meals. No real concern and no apology. I had to leave with out eating a main course.
The restaurant is getting two stars, because I'm unable to rate as one star.

Pros: Food is unique, All vegan

Cons: Service, Rubber band in food

Yumm! - Edit

I wanted to have lunch at Le Potager Du Marais before my visit to the very nearby Centre Pompidou. Walking in there spontaneously at 14h wasn't a good idea, the place was full and the very friendly waiter made an instant reservation for 14.45h and thanked me for my patience when I came back. It was really worth the wait, the daily menu was a creative aubergine dish, served in a highly optical attractive way. The staff was really friendly and even though the place was crowded, I felt very at ease. They had gluten-free bread which was great.

Pros: Great food, Nicely presented, Friendly staff

Friendly staff, centrally located, must reserve in advance - Edit

Quite large amount of food, friendly staff, very central location close to Centre Pompidou/Métro rue Rambuteau. Reservation needed. Very narrow place. Only one garlic-free dish; others could not be prepared without garlic.

Pros: Centrally located, friendly staff

Nice restaurant but food not that great - Edit

This restaurant is in a very central location in Paris, and the staff is efficient and friendly, so it's a good option if you are around. But according to the reviews the food was supposed to be great or fantastic, but honestly it's not the case, it's very rustic food, tastes ok but it's not fine food. The place is small and when i was there it was a very hot july evening we were suffocating inside. Portions are very large, didn't try the deserts.

Pros: central in Paris, nice staff, large portions

Cons: rustic food, small restaurant, noisy and not well ventilated

A gem. - Edit

We were lucky enough to walk in and get a table here on a Thursday evening, but I would recommend booking as a rule as the place is tiny and gets very busy. Lovely rustic little place with friendly staff and loads of vegan options. Highly recommended.

Amazing Birthday - Edit

We were visiting Paris and it was my 17th birthday so we (5 of us) promised to be 'vegan' for the day, which made me very happy! I booked this restaurant as it was recommended on a website called ohsheglows.com so I knew it would be good! I booked about 2 weeks in advance as tripadvisor said it was small, I'm glad we did as the restaurant was full with people waiting outside! The menu is quite varied so there's something for everyone, even meat eaters could not complain! We all had something different and all the dishes were amazing! The desserts were equally as good, the berry cobbler was excellent, the creme brulee was also less fab. I really enjoyed the hearty food as I had quite a difficult time in most Parisien restaurants, sometimes only being able to eat plain bread! The staff were very very friendly and even sang happy birthday to her during dessert which we greatly appreciated. If you are vegan, vegetarian or just want to have a beautiful healthy meal, please give this place a try.

disappointing - Edit

My boufriend and I liked this restaurant the least of all the vegan restaurants we went to in Paris. Everything was ok; I was excited for the creme brûlée, but it was very disappointing!

The restaurant was very loud and crowded and we couldn't hear ourselves think.

The food came very fast, and the staff was great.

I think the my just needs to be a shorter with more creative dishes.

I think it is so expensive for the quality because it's in a famous area, but head out to 42• raw or la potager de Charlotte, instead.

Dessert - Edit

When I went to Paris in November 2014, I had to do a guide of the places I wanted to eat. I didn't had time to eat in every places so I decided that I would to Potager du Marais just for dessert.
As everything in Paris this is quite expensive and it's not a crazy dessert. I loved it and it was tasty but I think it was too expensive.
Although I have to say it's not very common to find a vegan creme brulee, so I think it's worth a try.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 25, 2016

Too noisy, too crowded, not enought place - Edit

I went there once with my boyfriend, and maybe we weren't lucky, I don't know ? But, the place is tiny but there is too many sit. So, it's a tiny place, with a loot of person and tables. It's quickly crowded, and very, very noisy. I don't even remember the food, because it was too noisy, and it gives me a headach. It's too bad, they should have less tables, a little more space (because we were having the feeling we also were eating with the 2 tables aside us ...), it will be less noisy, and more enjoyable. We had live the place really quickly because we were too unconfortable.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 27, 2016

Cons: Too noisy, Too crowded, Too small

Worth going! - Edit

In general it was good but based on reviews, I expected a bit more. Disappointed by the French onion soup, was hoping for a taste closer to original, it also didn't have many onions in it...
Deserts were nice but not amazing.
Will still be back to try other things on the menu :)

Pros: Location, Friendly stuff

Cons: Very cramped place packed with tables

Great vegan restaurant in Paris - Edit

We had dinner at this very popular place. Reservations are recommended. The food was fantastic. We had the buckwheat crepe and seaweed tartare to start. The pancakes were super. For entrees we had the seitan bourguignon - wonderful, the lasagna, and fried vegetables with smoked tofu. Portions were large. The mashed potatoes were excellent, the bread so-so.The carrot cake was good, but small. Service was excellent. I highly recommend this place, it is the best of the vegetarian restaurants that we tried in Paris.

Simply Great! - Edit

After 4 years of absence we've made it back to Paris and this time we had a table reservation and everything was simply perfect - from service to food.

****

We were looking for a French restaurant serving vegan "French" food, and we were lucky that we found this place. We were also lucky to get a free table, so you should definetely consider a reservation if you plan your trip upfront.
Okay, the food is expensive, but it is just outstanding, so you get what you pay for. I am looking forward to visit Paris again - and this place is one of the reasons why.
Updated from previous review on Friday March 23, 2012

Pros: Great Chef, Original atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Hard to get a table

Amazing food - Edit

This is a little place near the Pompidou Centre. The food is incredible, so it's always packed out. Not cheap, but worth it for food that good. We didn't book and had to wait a while, but I'm glad we did.

Perfect for lunch after a visit to Centre Pompidou - Edit

We headed to Le Potager du Marais for a late lunch after a visit to Centre Pompidou. Even at 2.30 pm it was busy, but we found a table outside. The waiter checked that we were happy to eat outside. He indulged my French, very kindly, and spoke excellent English. He was very friendly and helpful, and brought a bottle of filtered water while we looked at the menu. My husband chose the day's special, a goulash of seitan with mushrooms plus almond brown rice. I had the cassoulet of pink lentils, smoked tofu, seaweed and hazelnuts, also with almond brown rice. I had a huge pot of Ceylon tea and my husband had a café crème. Our table was almost over loaded! The waiter arranged everything very skilfully, though. Everything was delicious. It is expensive (€16/£12/$17 for a main course), but very filling and nutritious. We didn't have room for a dessert! And it is located in a central area of Paris, full of museums, boutiques and other restaurants. I'd say it was similar to the Covent Garden area in London or the West Village in New York, so it wasn't unexpected that the prices were high. I would like to experience the three course dinner menu.

Pros: Entirely vegan, High quality food, Generous portions

Cons: Small interior and small tables

Good food, not cheap - Edit

Small and crowded small restaurant. Good location 20m away fron subway. The food was ok and the staff very very friendly. Better to reserve in advance. Mostly visited by locals. The tables are too close to each other, so don't expect any privacy. A good choice for Paris, although the price is above the media for a vegan restaurant. I recommend their cheese, the seitan with red wine and the wonderful mousse.

Pros: Cheese, mousse, location

Cons: Not cheap, no privacy

Amazing place! - Edit

The staff from the restaurant is wonderful and lovely! They welcome you with a big smile and that makes you feel at home :)
The atmosphere is warm and the menu has a vast choice of DELICIOUS dishes! The portions are big and they have different original tastes!
I strongly recommend this restaurant to everyone :D
I'm very impressed by this spectacular place! Thank you for making the world a better place!

Pros: staff, variety of dishes, portions

super yummy & healthy - Edit

We had a soup of the day, savoury crepe and spinach lasagna. All dishes were super yummy and a great healthy treat. Staff was nice too. We were there at lunch time on a Friday and it was easy to get a table.

Great for Vegans - Edit

This restaurant was wonderful. The food was absolutely delicious. Even my carnivorous husband loved it! Great atmosphere. The service was unbelievable. The owner was absolutely amazing. Definitely make reservations. We came the night before but couldn't get a seat. This place is busy. (And rightfully so!)

Pros: food, service, atmosphere

Fine French cuisine goes Vegan!! - Edit

This is a lovely, intimate small restaurant. The host Francois is a warm, lovely man who tries to squeeze as many hungry people as he can into this great restaurant. The dishes were twists of classic French dishes but totally Vegan. We had three courses and wine and the price was reasonable for Paris. Topped it off with Vegan Creme Brulee. First time I've had that since going Vegan. And it was great! Go there but book ahead to avoid disappointment - this place gets packed.

Pros: awesome food, super friendly staff, great atmosphere and serves wine

Cons: gets busy - need to book

Great rustic French food - Edit

My omnivore companion and I both had the onion soup and stuffed eggplant. She said it was the best meal we had in Paris, and it certainly was for me given that I'd been struggling to find one thing to eat at most restaurants. We arrived in the afternoon about 45 minutes before closing, but the server warned us about the closing time before we sat down, so we ordered quickly and thoroughly enjoyed the meal. I took chocolate cake to go, so I even had a tasty dessert later.

Gourmet vegan in paris - Edit

Overall it was amzing. Definitely recommend making a reservation though as it's small and always full!! We tried a bit of everything and wasn't disappointed all vegan and meat-eater approved!
The highlights were certainly the crepe, the mushroom pate, the bourgignon, the CREME BRULE (with a ginger flavour, a nice twist on the orignal) and the super friendly staff!

Pros: Friendly staff, Nice variety , Cozy atmosphere

Cons: The onion soup had too much oregano

Awesome menu - Edit

Great restaurant. Had dinner outside. Not the fastest, but we were not in a rush, and it was nice to sit outside and wait and enjoy the meals. The menu looked very impressive with a great selection of very tasty french dishes.

Went for the Onion Soup and Seitan de Bourguignon, which were both unbelievably good. Would definitely go back there again when in Paris.
Very friendly waiter as well. Great location too, 100 meters from the metro stop.

Pros: Great french food, Impressive menu, Friendly staff

Just what we came for - Edit

My mum and I visited this place in November 2014 on a long weekend, when we managed to sample numerous Parisian eateries. This was her favourite.

I felt the food was distinctively French - a balance of richness and delicacy, prepared with care and respect for natural flavours. Everything we had was mmmm delicious, and the chocolatey pudding caused us eye-rolling pleasure.

As well as being an ideal place to experience traditional French food as a vegan it's also a great venue for bringing British omnivores as it's a style of cuisine that doesn't seem, you know, *vegan*, only slightly exotic in that it's continental - sauces, veg that's had stuff judiciously done to it, bakes just browned to perfection, seasoning spot on. That's what you can expect here.

It'll set you back a fair few euro though...

Pros: lovely menu, friendly service, next to Pompidou - handy!

Cons: pricey

Worth The Trip - Edit

We just returned from a week in Paris, and this turned out to be the only vegan restaurant we were able to work into our touring schedule - and it was well worth the adventure.

I had an eggplant special, and my wife had spinach lasagna. Both were elegantly plated (this being France, after all) and delicious. Only wish we had had room for dessert.

Small, friendly and quite busy. A reasonable walk from nearest subway station through a very lively neighborhood and business district. You pass right by the Centre Pompidou, and are only a short walk from the Picasso Museum and National Archives.

Pros: Great food, Friendly/helpful (spoke english) waitres

Good vegan food - Edit

We did not make a reservation but the staff gave us a table. They were very busy so do make sure you book a table in advance. We ordered the pancake and vegetable pie as starters. The portions were very large. The vegetable pie was delicious however the pancake we didn't enjoy as much. Mains we had spinach Lasagne which was slightly dry and tofu vegetables with mash which was bland and needed a sauce. But we did enjoy the desserts. We had the chocolate Mousse and hazelnut chocolate cake. Overall we still recommend this place.

Vraiment très bon - Edit

Une bonne adresse de restaurant Végéta*ien.

J'ai pris le Bourguignon au Seitan, vraiment excellant.
Le dessert du jour : Flan orange/Carotte à tomber par terre!

La qualité/prix est légèrement cher mais les plats sont vraiment très bon! En gros pour un plat/dessert il y en a pour environs 27€.

Je conseille de réserver avant d'y aller au risque d'attendre au minimum 30 min. L'intérieur est assez petit.

Je le conseille vivement.

Pros: Bonne nourriture

Cons: Un peu cher, Petite salle

crowded but worth it! - Edit

Just finished wonderful menagerie of vegan deliciousness! Was able to get table between two French parties (so still quiet and private) right away at 1:30pm on a Sunday. Waiter happy to speak French with us (and even help improve our ordering vocabulary). We started with onion soup - better than most non vegan versions we've tried! Then we split buckwheat (GF) crepe...hearty texture and stuffed with mashed vegetables and salad in the side.
and quinoa burger....like a flavorful extra large falafel with a fun flavor and sides of savory broccoli mash and potatoes.
All and all delightful French lunch and we'll be going back for dinner to try spinach lasagna and eggplant surprise before we leave.

Pros: savory healthy hearty food, great service French-style, creative and varied menu, all vegan

Cons: tables squeezed together, bathrooms need to completely redone

So good had to go back the next night - Edit

I ate here for dinner twice in as many days, both visits with Omnis. Lots of traditional French dishes to choose from, among other options (such as lasagna, highly recommended!). The desserts both nights were excellent as well. It's a big menu, lots of options so everyone in your party should be able to find something they will like. Or love! Be sure to make a reservation.

Pros: Wide selection, great food, great wine

Cons: Can be crowded, it was quite hot, could use some fans

Excellent repas végane - Edit

De passage sur Paris pour quelques jours, nous avons testé ce restaurant végane que j'ai trouvé sur HappyCow.
Nous sommes arrivés à l'ouverture à 19h (j'avais vu dans les commentaires qu'il valait mieux réserver mais nous nous y sommes pris trop tard (le restaurant ferme entre 15h et 19h, je n'ai donc pas pu les joindre). Nous avons pu nous installer immédiatement.
Nous avons pris chacun une crêpe au sarrasin avec la garniture de champignons, c'était excellent (une nouvelle idée de recette que je veux refaire chez moi) (à noter que la crêpe était dans la partie "entrée" mais c'était bien assez copieux pour être un plat principal) . J'ai ensuite commandé le moelleux au chocolat qui était très bon.
Le service était rapide et le personnel très accueillant et sympathique, merci de nous avoir si bien reçu !
Seul bémol : leur menu ne comporte pas de glaces (avec cette chaleur, cela aurait été agréable !)
Je recommande ce restaurant !

Pros: personnel sympatique, service rapide, bonne nourriture

Cons: pas de glace

Interesting veganized French food - Edit

We had a good experience and it was definitely worth going to so I could try authentic French food because it was vegan. We had the French onion soup (yumm!!!!) and the spinach lasagne (it was ok, a little dry, but it came with a nice salad with horseradish dressing). Since so many others recommended the chestnut chocolate cake, we got it and loved it as well as the Tarte Tatin, which had an almost sweet potato taste to it. The service was really slow, perhaps because we were sitting outside (we noticed that people who sat inside came and left before we were done), but it was so nice outside (people watching :) and I like how some countries take their time for meals.

Pros: Authentic French food, Outdoor seating, Yummy desserts

Cons: Slow service

Our Favorite Cafe In Paris - Edit

We have been going to this little vegan cafe for years when we are in Paris. It is such an interesting and delicious slant on food - French Vegan - although I have not had typical French food and do not how close it actually is, it is wonderful food and really unusual. The owner is charming and passionate about his food and your dining experience. We love the Crusty Quinoa Burger and the chocolate chestnut cake is truly award winning. The only thing I find odd is that if you are sitting outside, and it is lovely on a rainy day, you may encounter cigarette smoke - so incongruous with healthy food! You are in for a treat at the Potager du Marais.

Pros: Unique, Great Food, Friendly

best vegan option in paris - Edit

Paris will probably never be known for its vegetarian/vegan cuisine but Le Potager du Marais is one of your best bets in the city. Eating here is like eating a wonderful home cooked meal with warm, friendly service. It's not cutting-edge cuisine by any means but sometimes simple is best. Tasty and hearty with surprisingly large portions. Be sure to try the onion soup!

Just be sure to make reservations as the space is small and was packed when we were there.

Pros: warm, friendly service, hearty portions, home-cooked style meal

Cons: small

Very Friendly & Welcoming - Edit

Although we were 30minutes late to the restaurant, they held the reservation for us. The waiters were very nice and polite and the food was very nice.

Pros: excellent service, reasonably priced, a lot of choice

Best vegan food in the whole world, seriously - Edit

Out of all the vegan meals throughout the US and world my husband and I have ever had, this was hands down the best. We compare every meal we have now to the one we had here.

Favorite menu items:
Seitan Bourguingon
French Onion Soup
Moelleux Au Chocolat

Reservations are a must.

Pros: Amazing food

Romantic, classic French restaurant, but vegan! - Edit

My partner and I love this restaurant. We have been multiple times and it is always delicious. It is tucked away in the Marais and has the look of a traditional intimate French bistro. Definitely appropriate for an romantic evening as well as for dinner with a group of friends. The food they serve is mostly classic French food but veganised. My partner swears their bourguignon is the best thing he has ever eaten. They also have out of this world desserts and great wine. Friendly service.

Pros: Excellent food, Good wine, Good service

Very popular, great vegan food - Edit

Very popular -bookings essential especially on the weekend. Good service, great food. There was an extensive menu to choose from, including a seitan stew, a vegie lasagna with a nut cream topping, various pastries, tarted. Everything was vegan. Highly recommended.

The owners have already expanded once and are now planning another expansion. They aim to show that vegan food can be cooked in French style.

Great location very near metro Rambateaux.

Pros: Great menu choises, Great service, Great location

Cons: Somewhat crowded., Booked out on our first choice of day.

Excellent food, slightly slow service - Edit

This is another all-vegan lunchtime spot in Paris that gets busy quickly! We had a table booked for 12 as we were getting a train in the early afternoon, but the waitress was just setting up and it was 15 minutes before we were actually served.

The menu was really tempting though. I had the cassoulet de la mer, which had lentils, hazelnuts and seaweed in, creating a really fresh, salty taste. I loved it! My partner had the aubergine surprise, which was aubergine rolls stuffed with pesto, sun-dried tomatoes and cheese. The best kind of surprise! While the mains were fresh and tasty, the desserts were even better. The tarte tatin was really sticky and tasty, and the creme brulee was huge, beautifully spiced with ginger and had the right texture. Lovely!

Pros: Great menu, Fresh, delicious food

Cons: Service sometimes a little slow

outstanding! - Edit

After many years of trying to get to this place I finally made it two weeks ago. I phoned ahead to book and what a good job I did. Saturday even and within 20 mins of arriving it was heaving. And what a welcome. The co-owner showed us to our table with a smile. We ordered our respective meals, my partner having the onion soup, I chose the potato starter and we both had the seitan bourgignon. Both were well prepared, very tasty and very filling. We are both from Burgundy and my partner said it was a very good replica of a real boeuf bourgignon with authentic spices (if not a little too much clove for me...)

The atmosphere was warm and inviting and it was a pleasure to be there quite frankly. the co-owner had the time, in spite of the pressure of a full restaurant, to chat about seitan production, attempts at making mock cheeses etc.

Brilliant, an excellent advert for vegetarianism.

Pros: the welcome, the food, the atmosphere

Cons: I live to far away to go regularly!!

good food but crowded - Edit

I've been to Potager du Marais several times and always been reasonably satisfied with the food, but the restaurant is small and always crowded. You will be jammed in close to the next table - not pleasant if you value your personal space, but I guess it is typical of French restaurants and some (like my wife) find it charming. I find it claustrophobic. The service is hit or miss - they have at least one really nice, really charming waiter, but he was on vacation last time we visited and the other waitstaff weren't as good. It also can take a long time to place an order or get your food. It would be wise to make a reservation. If you go, try the French onion soup - it's the best I've had anywhere.

Pros: good food

Cons: crowded, expensive

Amazing! - Edit

This restaurant is fantastic. It's quaint yet very busy, so be sure to book to guarantee a seat. The chef's and waiter's were lovely and spoke good english (if like me you go as far as 'bonjour'). It is a little pricey, about €7-€9 for a starter, €16-€19 for a main, €5-€6 for a dessert and water is free but drinks are expensive. However, it's 100% worth every penny. You won't regret going here, it was a perfect place to eat in a great location.

Pros: Delicious Food, Lovely Staff, Central Location

Cons: Expensive, Busy

Vegan As It Should Be... - Edit

Yes: the Restaurant's prices are high. Yes: the room is small...but hey: the meal was fantastic. We had a bottle of a good wine, a seitan and a hazelnut meal and a creme brule for 70 euro...and it was really mjommi. The Restaurant is a real Restaurant - not a punk or hippie shop. Whenever I'm in paris again, I'll go there again!

Simply the best - Edit

On top of visting numerous vegan places across Europe, I've been going to Le Potager du Marais for several years now. They are simply one of the best vegan restaurants in Europe.

I've tried about everything on the menu now and it's always a tough decision, the croustillant with cheese remains one of my favourites, as well as the Aubergine surprise and I often recommend the seitan Bourguignon to my meat-eating friends (which they always love-it's a really great dish to convince omnis that vegan food can be filling and "homely"). You can choose your side for many of the mains (buckwheat, rice...) which is also nice. The crème brûlée has always blown me away although I do wish they had some creamier desserts. They even have Gluten-free bread if you ask. And if you want to be extra healthy, there are big salads as mains as well.

The mixed juices are a very nice surprise as well, I've rarely found such great non industrial-made mixes outside of dedicated smoothie bars. Overall I'd say their cuisine is in the perfect spot between healthy, homely and creative without being bland, greasy or weird. There's really something for everyone. If you're a tourist it's also worth it because many of the dishes are close to French cooking.

The other thing that puts le Potager du Marais above other eateries is that the service is absolutely stellar, second to none. The owner and other members of staff are just so lovely, polite and attentive. They also speak english and just do everything to make you and your guests feel special and appreciated. It's really great to feel like they genuinely care that you are having a nice evening and as a returning customer, they've made me feel very valued.

Prices are good value for the food, location and service. I generally pay about 28€ for a juice, main and dessert. Cheaper than Soya which is a similar type of restaurant where I spent... 44€

The restaurant is small but with a nice atmosphere for all occasions; I've brought big groups (14 people), family members, done birthdays there and also been for casual meals. I recommend you book ahead as they are often full.

At this point I'd say maybe the only downside is that they haven't had a daily special on my last visits and I've been so often that I am craving something new!

I've visited just about every other veg restaurant in the capital and they are the best vegan dining experience in Paris.

Pros: Amazing food for all tastes, Lovely people, Cozy space

Cons: You generally need to book ahead, More daily specials please!

One of the highlights of my trip to Paris - Edit

I had a list of almost twenty restaurants to visit in Paris, and in spite of that, I went to Le Potager twice because it was so delicious.

The desserts are really amazing and original (it's not the cookie-brownie-energy ball kind of deal you get at so many places when looking for vegan desserts).

It's better to make a reservation.

Pros: French desserts, Excellent food, Friendly staff

Favorite Restaurant in the World - Edit

In all of Paris, with its numerous vegan restaurants, Le Potager du Marais is the one place I would be heartbroken to miss. It is not to be skipped, by herbivores or omnivores.

The French onion soup is a must. Every review will state this. I tend to order it and a salad (the big one with potatoes, tofu, and cheese that I never remember the name) and always feel pleasantly stuffed when I'm done. Of course, I always manage to make room for the chocolate mousse, because it is delicious (but very rich, you can easily share unless you *really* like chocolate). My husband likes to order different things, and has always been happy with his choices. This past visit he went with the quinoa burger (not on a bun) with mashed potatoes and he says it was excellent. Our son had the buckwheat crepe with leeks and mushrooms and, despite being a finicky five-year-old, devoured it. My omnivorous parents ordered lasagna (dad) and a veg plate (mom) and both enjoyed them. There was some confusion with my mother's order, in that her "vegetable plate" was actually just a salad (with shredded carrots, cucumbers, etc.) and her "green salad" was some greens and dressing - not what we expected.

My mother ordered a fresh apple juice, which was incredibly yummy, though it was a carroty-orange color so we're not sure if there was something else in it (the flavor was all apple, so maybe just skins?) My husband ordered (as always) the lemonade and probably would have had multiples had they not cost so much. The rest of us just had tap water, which is brought in bottles and replenished consistently (and free!).

The staff is always friendly and, while on the small side, the space is full of atmosphere and exactly what you'd hope to find in a classic (non-trendy) Parisian restaurant. Just be prepared to spend a lot, because it is not inexpensive (vegan + Paris = empty wallet).

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Cozy atmosphere

Cons: Expensive, On the warm side when crowded, Not easy to just walk in

Great Food - Must Visit - Edit

My wife visited this restaurant recently after seeing reviews on Happy Cow. We didn't have a reservation which is apparently required because they are so busy but they were kind enough to make room. The food was fantastic and was our favorite meal in Paris. Must visit.

Best Vegan Food In 2 Years Of Veganism!! - Edit

The portions are NOT small. They are appropriate/big as of September 2014. It was very pricey (80) for two of us, but we got 2 appetizers, 2 drinks, 2 main courses, and a dessert. The French onion could've been a meal by itself. The hazelnut roast was really good as well.

Pros: Taste, Diversity, All Vegan

Cons: Price, Cramped Seating, Hot Inside

French vegan Gastronomy - Edit

During a 3 days trip in Paris, I had the chance to have dinner at Le Potager du Marais with a group of non-vegetarian/vegan friends. They were all amazed by the quality and taste of their cuisine. All the dishes were carefully prepared and presented. The spinach lasagna, the aubergine, the felafel and the quinoa burger were a delight.
We are a group of foodists and all agreed that this was our best food experience while in Paris. Yes, it is a little more expensive than other places but this is not just a vegan restaurant, it is french vegan gastronomy!
Personally, this was my best vegan food experience ever.
If you want to enjoy this place, make sure you have a reservation first.

Pros: Quality of food, Friendliest staff ever, Choice of food

Delicious food and nice service - Edit

Central location in the vibrant Marais/Halles quartier of Paris, great French vegan food made with organic ingredients, nice deserts, all vegan (even the cheese) and well the food is really good.
The restaurant itself is somewhat small but the food makes up for everything.
The prices are however kind of high and although worth it given the quality, it is frustrating to eat there on a limited budget.
The price (ok given quality) is the only reason for us not eating there more often.

Pros: Food, Service, Organic ingredients

Cons: price

Vegan, amazing desserts, but expensive - Edit

I tried this restaurant twice and both time my experience was good but not fantastic (except for desserts!). The starters are usually very good (try the pâté) but portions are a little bit small for their price. The main dish was each time what I less preferred. The chili sin carne had nothing special (I could have done it myself), the sarrasin crêpe was good but not the best I've eaten and the spinach lasagna a bit overpriced in terms of size (half of the plate was basic green salad). However, their desserts are all amazing! If I go back to this restaurant, it will be for their desserts. Otherwise, the whole meal is overpriced to my view.

The place is small (you feel a bit cramped) but cute and staff really friendly. It's a good vegan restaurant, a little pricey...

Pros: 100% vegan now, amazing desserts, friendly staff, cute place, location

Cons: expensive, small area, main dishes sometimes rather basic

Awesome food! - Edit

Really loved the food and the service!! Only con: a bit too many tables in this small restaurant.

Pros: really good vegan food, super friendly service

Cons: too many tables in small space

French onion soup! - Edit

What a nice rustic small place. Very traditional Parisian look and feel, but with vegan food. Nice and clean atmosphere, service is as good as one would get in most French restaurants.
I can't hide that the Onion Soup was the highlight on our meal. I can't really compare it, because it is my first. But it was really delicious. Great balanced but very pronounced flavors. The vegan cheese on top was amazing and the croutons add a great texture to a wonderful soup that I can only expect to be done in a small village, where they decide to spare the beef for the broth.
I wasn't too crazy about the main course and the creme brûlée that I had to try, but not that special. It was delicious, but the texture and consistence was not there. Can't blame them, at least they offer one and I have to give them props.

Pros: Cozy atmosphere, Location, Onion soup!

Cons: A bit expensive

Great Food - Edit

I loved the food and would definitely go back. The Mushroom Pate was to die for. I was also happy with the wine list. We sat outside because the dining room is a bit tight. The have a few tables on the sidewalk. I would definitely make reservations before going. People were turned away on a Thursday night around 8pm. Some reviews said it was pricey, but I found it comparable to other Parisian experiences.

Pros: Great food, Fun location

Cons: Small dining room

good, but not great - Edit

This vegetarian restaurant is one of the very few with vegan offerings in Paris. It is in a great location in the Marais, in the center of the action. The room is very small and people are really packed in. The service was good and the food came fairly quickly. BUT, on the downside, it seems that they were trying too hard to appear to present Paris style offerings, with more emphasis on presentation perhaps than ultimate taste. The spinach lasagna was so chock full of spinach that it drowned out the taste of everything else. The seitan faux meat was cooked well, but was a little under seasoned and bland. The prices were fair and given the limited selection to choose from, this was a good choice. But on the whole could have been a bit better. Would have given it about a 3.5, if able to do so.

Pros: great location, one of few options available, good service

Cons: small restaurant, some offerings are bland

good food, a little pricey - Edit

My daughter and I ate here twice during our trip to France. The first time, we arrived at 7:00. Apparently, you need to make reservations for dinner. There were several tables available, but we had to be done by 8:30. I figured we would be out way before 8:30, but the service was very slow. Our food did not come until 8:00. The owner is very nice and spoke English very well. We both really enjoyed our dinner. We felt rushed (not by the owner, but knowing someone was waiting for our table). We did not order any desserts. We came back several days later for lunch. Again, we enjoyed our food, and this time ordered desserts. I was a little disappointed in them, but still they were good. I felt the price was a little high.

Pros: good food, friendly owner, nice atmosphere

Cons: price, small, long wait time for food

Good food, great dessert! - Edit

The food was good, nothing special but not bad in any way. The chocolate mousse was delicious, highly recommend it! The only downside except for maybe not that interesting food is that just across the street you'll see a butchery. Not the restaurants fault of course but it's not that appetizing to see carcasses when eating your food.

Pros: Chocolate Mousse, Good atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Just across the street lies a butchery..

Delicious Food And Very Friendly Stuff - Edit

The restaurant is in a very small, cozy and beautiful place. The staff is extremely nice and friendly - my french wasn't the best anymore, but they were very patient. If you don't speak French, don't worry, they explained the menu in good English to other guests. Unfortunately, the 3-course-dinner is not on the menu anymore, so we ordered a shared starter, two main dishs and two desserts. The food was just awesome, so delicious!!! We had the Tourte(?) as a starter and the seitan stew and the gratin (day dish). The gratin wasn't really what I understand as a gratin, but it was actually my favorite dish of the three. Unfortunately, we really didn't like the dessert. It was crème brûlée (with ginger) and tarter tatin. However, I still give 5 points, as the rest was wonderful. It is a bit expensive, but when I registered the prices in other restaurants in Paris, especially in relation to what you get for the money, I found it okay. I would also recommend to make a reservation. When we arrived, the restaurant was still empty, but it didn't take long until it was full (and almost all of them seemed to have made a reservation).

Pros: Extremely nice stuff, Delicious food, Nice Place

Cons: Didn't like the desserts

Vegan French food! - Edit

Our favorite meal while in Paris. We didn't have a reservation, but came in around 9pm on a weekday. Great selection to choose from, and were happy to be able to eat some French dishes, veganized. French onion soup is highly recommended! Also they have vegan creme brulee, which is just really neat - and tasty.

Delicious - Edit

Nice and little restaurant which serves high quality and delicious vegan food. We had a starter and main dishes - both tasted realy good - and were realy filled up afterwards. The prices are not cheap but regular for a restaurant in Paris. You should definitly make a reservation, because the place is small and always crowed.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 28, 2014

Pros: Nice staff, Great food

Cons: Not cheap

Fantastic Vegan Rustic Food - Edit

I love this place - went twice on my last visit to Paris. Very small and atmospheric restaurant with really friendly staff. Food is mainly veganised French classics - the French onion soup and seitan bourginon are highly recommended! It is generally packed so it is a good idea to book ahead.

Pros: Great French food, Atmospheric busy restaurant, Great staff

so nice and so good - Edit

It was so nice to have a good vegan option in Paris. The servers could not have been nicer and the food was tremendous. I had one of the quinoa burgers and my husband has beef stew. Both had great flavor. We also had mushroom pate as an appetizer and it reminded me of thanksgiving. Make reservations or go early. It does get busy.

Pros: food, service

Amazing! - Edit

We went there only to get dessert (Moelleux and Tarte Tatin, both were heavenly and freshly made!), The waiter was the friendliest I have ever met in France, got us a table outside even though the restaurant was fully booked that night (Do make a reservation if you're planning to go there for a full meal!)
We are definitely coming back next time we're in Paris. Everything on the menu looked delicious (Vegan Boef Bourguignon? YUM!) and our neighbors' food smelled so good!

Pros: Very friendly and helpful staff, Lovely neighborhood, 1L of filtered water for free

Cons: Reservation needed, Bit pricey, Only one unisex toilet

Cozy and delicious vegan restaurant - Edit

This cozy spot near Centre Pompidou offers an incredible menu, and the best part, ingredients are 100% vegan. Everything was delicious. They create original dishes, mixing tasty vegan ingredients. It's a little bit pricey, but totally worth it.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 10, 2014

Excellente! - Edit

Had dinner there with 2 14 yr. olds who griped about vegan food, until they ate it!! This is a lovely little restaurant with fabulous food and delightful service. Everyone loved their dinners. I only wish Paris was closer to New Jersey! If you want to eat there, definitely make a reservation. By the time we were having our entrees, they were turning people away. This is a "don't miss!"

Pros: Delicious food, great variety, friendly, efficient service

Cons: not cheap!, but worth it!

Best vegan restaurant in Paris! - Edit

I would highly recommend this place. I visited this fabulous vegan restaurant on March 26, 2014. Service is great, everything is vegan! It's a super quaint restaurant. Food is soooo amazing and everything is labelled if it's gluten free. I ordered an Aubergine/eggplant dish with melted cheese inside. It was superb! The desserts are amazing too. Can't believe that everything is vegan here.

Pros: gluten free option, great service, everything is vegan

Cons: prices

Delicious food, great service - Edit

We were delighted to find an all-vegan restaurant in Paris. The food and service were outstanding when we ate there on 27 March, 2014.

We note the comments about the lack of space but we didn't find it a problem except for one slightly 'grand' couple next to us who were obviously not happy and left after a drink which they complained about! The other diners near us were friendly and sociable and the temperature was just-right. The atmosphere was really good and the restaurant appears to attract interesting people with socially and politically-aware views.

We will definitely be going back, given half a chance!

Pros: Lovely food, cooked just right, imaginative menu, Excellent service and atmosphere

Cons: Slightly cramped

Small but nice - Edit

It is always welcome when you have the whole menu to choose from when you're a vegan. The food was abslout okay, but I would have liked a little more seasoning. The staff was very kind and the service high.

Pros: Good service

Cons: a bit bland

Rustic french cuisine vego style - a must for all. - Edit

If you are looking for french style vegan food or a good quality meal, Le Potager du Marais is you kind of place. Well priced and great dishes. I have been to Paris three times not and have not had a visit with out eating here - it is that good. Make sure you book a couple hours ahead as it is bound to fill up quickly. Also the waiters are hospitality gurus so your bound to get great service. Enjoy!

Pros: well balanced yum meals , great service , nice hourse wine

Cons: make sure you book ahead

nice atmosphere but disproportionate prices - Edit

I ate at le potager du marais twice, once alone for lunch and once for dinner with my boyfriend in october/november of 2013. In general I would recommend a reservation.
I liked the cozy atmosphere and the staff was very hearty.
As a starter I ordered a spinach-chickpea soup which was tasty but rather too salty and already a bit cold.
As main dishes I/we tried the spinach-walnut-lasagna, the seitan bourguignon and the vegetable stew. The lasagna was great (though a bit cold, too). The seitan was tasty as well, though it was a bit heavy - I would have preferred some vegetables with it and less seitan instead. The vegetable stew was quite nice, although some parts were stewed too long for our taste. As a dessert we REALLY enjoyed the mousse au chocolat.
In general I/we enjoyed my/our stay at this restaurant. Still, in my opinion the meals are far too pricy for what they are. But being in a city like Paris, I would still recommend le potager du marais as one of the best 100% vegan options.
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 12, 2013

Pros: cozy atmosphere, hearty stuff

Cons: high prices

Vegan French Onion Soup! - Edit

We recently ate dinner here during a 4 day stay in Paris, and it was the best meal we had! We didn't make a reservation, but they were able to accommodate us after only a few minutes wait. Unlike other places, we promptly received water and bread without having to ask. The waiter was extremely friendly and courteous and spoke impeccable English (I certainly don't expect that of a French restaurant, but it's nice).

My husband had the soup of the day, a pea soup. I was super excited to see French Onion Soup on the menu. Both were excellent. I enjoy fake meats and cheeses, and the "cheese" in the French Onion Soup really delivered. The portion sizes were the best we've seen in Paris. My soup was pretty large, as were our main courses.

The vegan take on French food was much appreciated. The main courses were delicious. It was definitely the most money we spent on a meal in Paris, but we considered it well worth it.
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 05, 2013

Pros: French classics, Staff

Cons: Price

Small but powerful - Edit

Located around the corner of Centre Pompidou this tiny vegan restaurant provides delicious vegan food at a fair price in a cozy atmosphere with friendly service.

The menus were visually and nutritionally attractive, well-portioned, and didn't try to drag the eater into a protein-coma as other vegan restaurants do. I personally like lentils and their preparation here was delicious in every culinary freedom degree.

Oh the other hand, the menus rather often featured fake cheese and tofu. Though, the cheese could be an attempt to preserve a French touch. This could be a nice place to convince French people of vegan food even though I did not find any fake-escargots on the menu :-).

Nice extras: Salad was served with optional add-ons like sesame salt ("for the extra calcium") and nutritional yeast.

Even though this place was fully booked, the service kept being attentive, conducting new guests to the wardrobe and immediately refilling the filtered water without being asked.

No wonder Le Potager du Marais is located next to the centre of modern arts - this place is a living vegan artwork.

visited on 25.10.2013

Pros: Filtered water served + refilled, Friendly, fast, attentive staff, Vegan creativity without excess

Cons: Reservation recommended

Looks & tastes like a classic French restaurant - Edit

The restaurant has turned completly vegan recently after several years of being "vegetarian".
The place is quite small so I would advise you to book a table for lunch or dinner.
The restaurant offers a large variety of dishes and most of them are also gluten free.
This is THE place to try typical French food that you can find in all the "mnivorous" restaurants. We tried "soupe à l'oignon", "rôti aux champignons" and "crème brûlée" for dessert.
The waiter was lovely! Always smiling and checking if everything was going fine for us.
Highly recommanded place!

Pros: Vegan, Variety of food, Staff

Cons: Small place, You wanna taste everything :-)

Best place in Paris! - Edit

This place was wonderful! We ate a lot and the quality of our food was good for the expensive price. The waiter was very friendly and did his best to speak English. I loved this place and I would recommend it to everybody who wants to spend an evening in a top-class Parisien restaurant.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, easy to reach (metro, busses)

Cons: Small place, tables very close, expencive, a bit noisy when there are many people

OK but not all that... - Edit

I went to Le Potager twice while I was in Paris (9/23/13 and 10/3/13) and even though this place seems to be held in high esteem by reviewers, I have to say I wasn't that impressed. The food was nice enough generally, but a bit uneven in quality. The first time we went, I ordered the vege burger with mushroom sauce and this was nice, as was my partner's vegan lasagna. I ordered an entree of potatoes with herbs and tapenade, and while this was OK, it wasn't amazing. The real issues occurred the second time we went. We ordered the potato entree again and this time there was an olive pit left in the tapenade, which is not only unappetising but also potentially dangerous. My partner ordered the Seitan Bourgignon and both of us agreed that this was terrible to the point of being almost inedible, with little flavour and a dry, rubbery texture. There is a long waiting time - as I think patrons may be warned beforehand - and you can expect to take two to three hours for an entree and main at peak time. The owner is very enthusiastic when interacting with diners, but it may take some time to be attended to. The restaurant has a nice ambience, with stone walls and some attention to decoration, but the space is fairly small and the tables quite close together. I would go here again but be selective about what I ordered, although I must admit that only a few menu items appealed to me.

Pros: Fully vegan restaurant, Varied menu

Cons: Uneven quality, Long waiting time

Perfect! - Edit

My husband and i managed to visit here on our last day in Paris and i am so pleased that we did. The food is delicious, well seasoned , excellently balanced and pretty too. The portions are big but we both made room for dessert which was also generous but delicious. I only wish i could have tried a starter too! Or gone back again. The waiter was lovely and could not have been more helpful. This place definitely deserves the excellent rating that it has.

Pros: excellent food, lovely staff, generous portions

A really lovely place to eat - Edit

My favourite Veg place of all Paris: cozy, small (booking is necessary), very kind stuff, mouthwatering dishes. I did eat there 3 out of the 4 nights I spent in Paris during my last trip. My mom, a fond meat-eater, asked me to get back, night after night. Too bad I did not get to meet the chef: the guy definitely knows his cooking and the place is really excellent food for good money. A place you really must try.

Pros: excellent fresh food, nice price, kind staff

Cons: booking is necessary

French Vegan Food is Rare! - Edit

I was happy to try this restaurant, French classics done the vegan way. It was nice to be able to experience French food, as French restaurants hardly ever have a vegetarian or even harder, vegan options.Sadly, it seems the French can not think outside the box of "meat and cheese". The food was delicious, service was exceptionally friendly and location is great ! Only negative is the hours, I always seem to go when its closed ! So just keep the hours in mind.

Pros: French Food, Service, Location

Cons: Hours

superb french food - Edit

Some of the best food and service we received in Paris.

The menu was diverse and featured many french favorites prepared all vegan.

They speak English as well as French so we were able to navigate the excellent menu with limited French and they didn't make us feel good about it.

We are appetizers, main courses and desserts and had no objections on any part of the meal.

The restaurant is very crowded and slow in typical European fashion. You should call ahead for a reservation.

This is the best dining experience you will have as a vegan in Paris. Enjoy!

Pros: excellent food, kind and honest service, authentic tasting French

Cons: very busy

Delicious vegan food in Paris - Edit

A wonderful meal: the gazpacho (soup of the day) and the Hazelnut loaf were sensational! The entrée baked potato with olive tapenade and pesto, and the Provençal stuffed vegetables also highly recommended. Washed down with a half liter of white wine, a perfect lunch on a perfect day in Paris. A special mention too for the waiter: never flustered, always around, always helpful, cheerful (and English-speaking). An excellent dining experience well worth the price.
Thanks to Petra, Edita and Kristijan Horvat for the recommendation!

Pros: delicious, fresh, healthy food, friendly, accommodating service, good atmosphere

Cons: wait time for food (though worth it)

Very Tasty - Edit

Very good and innovative.
Large choice.
Tables too close (small restaurant).
Time for service is sometimes long.
Updated from previous review on Friday August 02, 2013

Pros: Tasty, Innovative

Cons: Noisy, Service Time

wonderful - Edit

We really enjoyed the very imaginative food in this cozy little restaurant. It was not cheap, but worth the price. Very good and friendly service. But it's really necessary to book a table. Enjoy!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: high prices, noisy and less space

oh yes - Edit

we went there during our honeymoon, and were lucky enough to catch a table - it`s a really small Restaurant, but lovely and with a nice atmosphere. the waiter was very passionate about the Food and answered all of our questions. the plates were delicious (best onion soup I ever had!)and served with a smile.

Pros: yammy food, friendly stuff, easy to find

Cons: very small - reservation is recommended

Nice place ! - Edit

The waiter was available and smiling. (even looked a bit over the top but I appreciate the effort).

I had made a reservation before showing up and they directly knew who I was when I arrived which show a good logistic between their stuff.

The meal was nice. Medium + vegan food.

I'm happy I went there and I was satisfied when I left.

OMG - Edit

Food was amazing! It was great to try some French styled dishes in a land where butter, cream and meat rule. The service was great and very friendly.

For a guaranteed spot make sure you ring to make a booking, it is well worth the effort!

I hope they put out a cookbook!

Pros: French , delicious, atmospheric

Best Vegan Dining In Paris - Edit

Nothing much to add to the generally positive comments. The night we went we arrived about 15 min early and sat on the sidewalk chairs.

The owner came out to open promptly at 7:00 and asked if we had reservations. We didn't and he said that was fine as long as we could done by 9:00 as he was fully booked that evening.

We loved the French Onion Soup and the Warm Cheese Salad. So great to get tasty vegan cheese in Paris of all places. I enjoyed the Buckwheat Crepes.

I had the Stuffed Eggplant for my main course and it was excellent. I can't remember the main dish that my wife chose but the pepper sauce with her dish was over the top peppery which put a damper on her experience.

We were lucky that the owner was our server and he was courteous, prompt and engaging despite that the restaurant got busy quickly.

Our best overall dining experience in Paris but not quite to the standards of the top vegan restaurants in the U.S.

Pros: Excellent Food, Gluten Free Options Inc Bread, Good Service

Cons: Cramped, Reservations For Later in Evening

Very good food and service - Edit

We're so happy we found this place. The food was really good. We tried the quinoa burger and the lentil balls and they were both excellent. I really liked their vegan cheese, too. The main dishes are not cheap, but the ones we tried were very varied and well balanced (with vegetables, cereals, legumes and vegan cheese). The mains were big enough and we didn't need to take a starter nor a dessert.

The service is very friendly and the location is perfect (in the Marais, just next to the Centre Pompidou).

Pros: Food, Service, Location

Cons: Nothing

Cosy, friendly all vegan restaurant with good food - Edit

Food:
A good choice of food on the menu (written in French and English) all of which sounded appetising. I had the vegetable quiche with salad (a starter - but more than enough for me). I had seen somebody else eating it, so I knew what I was getting. It was more like a pie than a quiche, but all the better for that - it had lovely pastry and a vegetable filling. My friend had the lentil balls on a bed of spinach served with mashed sweet potatoes and a broccoli dish, which she really enjoyed. I wish I could have eaten more as the desserts sounded lovely.

The location:
Fantastic location a few metres away from the Pompidou Centre. The restaurant is small, rustic and cosy.

The service:
The service was extremely friendly and professional. We didn't feel hurried, but weren't left around waiting either. The waiter was a bit busy, but still able to be friendly and take the time to explain things. He spoke French to me, but replied to my friend in English as she can't speak French.

Pros: Great food, Excellent location in Le Marais, Nice ambiance

Cons: Small, Paris prices, not a budget meal.

Delicious food, great deserts - Edit

this place was one of my favorites in Paris. In Potager I was finally able to have a traditional french onion soup and it tasted also. My girlfriend and I also ordered one dish each (be careful, their dishes are huge) and they were pretty good.

but the highest point for sure was the deserts. I had an awesome chocolate cake (sorry, i don't remember the french name)that was amazing.

The place is kind of expensive but it might be the only chance to have french traditional food in a vegan way.

Pros: onion soup, very "french", desert

Cons: kind of expensive, but worthy

Cozy, delicious but a little pricy place. - Edit

Me and my boyfriend went to lots of vegan/vegetarian places in Paris and tried out different things after searching through Happy Cow. We went here our last night and it was really nice. If you've been to veggie places in Paris before, you might know that most places don't really have that restaurant feel to them. They are usually hidden and a lot of times they don't even have a decent sign outside so you have to go inside to see if you're at the right place.

This place is NOT like that. It has a parisian, cozy atmosphere, and although it's not very big it's still very nice. It was also very easy to find, it's really close to the Rambuteau metro station and you can also walk from Chatelet which we did. We made a reservation, which I recommend, since it's not very spacious and you might risk not getting a seat. The owner was REALLY nice and kind, he remembered my name from the reservation and kept saying "Merci mademoiselle Sonia, bonne soirée mademoiselle Sonia" etc. Really cute and he made me feel very welcome.

The food was great. I had the quinoa burger with mashed potatoes and mushroom sauce, and it was amazing! I love that they actually take the time to make it look pretty, too, it's not like they just throw some food on a plate. It was pricy, because we ate the same thing and shared 50 cl of red wine, and ended up at 50 Euro. Usually, that's what we pay having dessert, too. So no, it wasn't the best price and you have to be prepared of the fact that this is not a budget place to dine at as a veggie.

To sum this up, I really recommend going here if you afford it. It's a lovely restaurant if you're looking for a cozy, vegan restaurant that serves delicious and creative food. You will not be disappointed!

Pros: Delicious and creative food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: A little on the pricy side, Not very spacious

Very French! - Edit

We ate at Potager twice during our week in France and were glad we did. The food and atmosphere are very French and we loved that. Usually (as you know if you are vegan and in France) it is very hard to eat anywhere French in Paris due to the dairy/meat problem. Le Potager du Marais is refreshing because we felt like we were getting a French experience without the troubling meat and dairy. The French Onion soup is a must. The other foods are good but not great by good vegan US standards but are definitely adequate. We should say that we were a bit limited on what we could get because we have soy allergies and much of the menu has soy. But there was enough that we could still dine there twice and be happy. The tart tartin was delicious for desert also. Be aware that, like other traditional French restaurants, the service is not fast - so be prepared to be there for 2 hours or more for a full dinner - but alas this is Paris and this is part of what we love about it so savor it if you can!

Pros: French onion soup

Cons: not so fast service

Pricey but memorable - Edit

Pros: I really liked the rustic atmosphere of this place (although as in many Paris restaurants be prepared to be on top of your neighbors). I went twice and tried the seitan bourgignon and the lasagna and both were delicious. We had good service here, too. I'd say as the vegan places in Paris go this one comes possibly the closest to replicating classic French cuisine, for those of us who want to partake in local cuisine but not the meat and dairy.
Cons: It's pretty pricey. Also I didn't at all like the Tarte Tatin (but we had a chocolate moelleux which was tasty!).

Very good. Not quite as good as pre-vegan days - Edit

I love this restaurant but I'm just a little disappointed since it's gone fully vegan. On my most recent trip (April 2013) The 'seitan bourguignon' was great but the French onion soup wasn't as good as I remember - not just the addition of vegan cheese but the soup itself was lacking (surprisingly!) in onions and was a little bitter - the herbs tasting dried rather than fresh. But overall the menu still looks good and always seems to be being updated around the edges so there's new options to try.

Be warned - it's very popular and you'll probably need to book unless you get there as it opens. It's also very cramped - not that bad a thing as we got chatting to our neighbours on both sides but if you're looking for a more intimate, private dining experience then this is not the right place!

Despite the size the staff are very accommodating and even managed to manoeuvre a full sized pushchair through the restaurant and store it during one table's meal.

I'll just mention in passing that on the night we were there I'd say 90% of people were from UK / US / Canada, which was interesting as normally - even in veggie restaurants in Paris - I've not noticed the split being quite that in favour of English-speaking patrons.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff

Cons: Small and a bit squashed, Better when non-vegan

Simply Fantastic - Edit

One of the best vegan meals I have ever had. The food is flavoursome, well presented and a rare treat for a vegan in Paris. Not to be missed for any vegan in Paris - I can't believe it has taken me this many trips to Paris to try this place! Great central location and excellent service also help to make Le Potager a standout.

Pros: Vegan French Cuisine, Superb food, Great Service & Great Location

My favourite parisian restaurant - Edit

This is my all time favourite restaurant in Paris. It used to be vegetarian but now it seems to have gone compeltely vegan - hooray! Everytime I'm in Paris, I go there and the food is amazing! Last time, I went there, I had this chocolate mousse which was the best chocolate mousse I've had, well, ever! I'm going to Paris in a couple of weeks, and coming to this restaurant will definitely be one of the first things I do! :)

All changes are not good... - Edit

The food is not great and the prices have become too high for what they serve. It was better before they change their address. It was friendlier and more generous. Now there is more space to sit, but less food on the plate. I am very disappointed.

Cons: Price, Portion, Ambiance

Delightful - Edit

Visited on Sunday 10th February 2013. My girlfriend and I had visited Le Potager du Marais a couple of years ago and since then it's turned totally vegan and the layout and decor has changed somewhat. This is all positive stuff, its more cosy than we remember it and the menu has benefited from dropping the dairy. We both had spinach and walnut lasagne for a main and shared a creme brulée for desert. The menu is French cuisine and offers lots of choice, there are also daily specials. There is a large drinks list, we had a great bottle of organic bordeaux. The food was very nice, the waiter very pleasant (also spoke excellent English) and the atmosphere nice and relaxed. It is pricey but its worth it for a bit of a treat.

in LOVE - Edit

Now that I know where it is, I will certainly return before going home. The portions are huge and the food is well-seasoned. My waiter was very kind and was able to decifer my poor French. He did speak English but patiently allowed me to try out some French. This restaurant is cozy and can fill up quickly (probably due to the combo of good service and great food). I had the zucchini soup to start and finished with an entree of stuffed cabbage. I had totally intended on partaking in dessert but was too full. I shall return for another entree and to get one of those tummy desserts!

Pros: large portions , metro accessible, friendly service

Cons: not a one!

Get the Onion Soup - Edit

I don't remember much else about this restaurant except the 'French' Onion Soup. As a vegetarian for 20 years, I haven't had it for 20 years, so this was such a treat. It even came with the requisite croutons and melted (vegan) cheese. Delish. Probably could have done without the main course, but we both got one - it was too much food and we were stuffed.
It is expensive, but if you just get the soup, and then maybe move on to share a main course, you'll be fine. Excellent bread, too!
It's tiny, so unless you're the first through the door, you'll need to reserve. As it was we were first in and still needed to vacate our table by 8pm (that was fine though- glad to see them very busy). And yes, it's completely vegan.

Pros: Vegan, French onion soup

Cons: Prices, Hard to find

Delicious Selection of French Cuisine - Edit

I went to Le Potager du Marais this evening for a nice dinner out and was very happy with my overall experience. The restaurant is all vegan with a good variety of items on their menu. My partner and I had a really difficult time choosing but settled on the French onion soup, vegetable quiche, seitan bourguignon, and lasagna. We were pleasantly surprised by the decent portion size, which is sometimes a problem at expensive vegan restaurants. The entrees would have been sufficient for a lighter meal on their own. The stand-out item was the French onion soup- I had never had this as a omnivore so I don't have a basis for comparison but both of us absolutely loved it. The soup was flavourful and almost smoky. I enjoyed the experience enough that I am planning on heading back tomorrow for lunch (partner and I will split the soup, a giant salad, and a creme brulee). Highly recommend for a "special" evening (it is a bit pricey).

Pros: Service, Portion Size, Selection of Food

Cons: Expensive

Vegan in Paris? - Edit

Can't say anything bad about this restaurant. Great variety of food, excellent quality, knowledgeable and friendly staff and even vegan desserts! Highly recommended. It is on the small side so you will probably need a reservation in high season.

Pros: Food!, vegan desserts!

Cons: none

Delicious, cosy and classy - Edit

Restaurant visited in 2011. It was a great finish of an exhausting site seeing day! Prices were really ok for Paris and you really felt how much love they put in the preparations. Vegan wine was available!

Pros: Love to detail, very friendly atmosphere, classy ambiance

Cons: -, -, -

Totally vegan menu now! - Edit

This place is now 100% vegan I'm pleased to report. It used to take up two shops but now is only one, the other shop (on the corner) is vacant.

I enjoyed my meal there this evening. I had quiche stuffed aubergine and chocolate cake. The aubergine was especially good but I enjoyed everything. It was a bit pricey though - starter €10, main €17, dessert €8.50.

When I left, around 9pm on a Friday night, the place was busy but not quite full. There was just one waitress but the speed of service was fine and her English was good. Most other diners were French.

Pros: 100% vegan, Good portions, Serve wine

Cons: Not cheap, Tables quite close together

Delish Paris Vegan - Edit

I wish we were staying in Paris longer so that we could try more of the delicious looking meals served at Le Portager du Marais. I couldn't help myself from eyeing the other patrons' dishes as they were served.My dining companion and I both began with two of the yummy soups on the menu. I had the pink lentil with star anise and my partner had the French onion. The anise did not overpower the fine textured lentil purée and benefited from a little splash of soy sauce ,which was one of several condiments provided on the table. The onion soup was a real treat,as onion soup is typically made with a rich beef broth and gooey cheese. This vegan version did not disappoint. Both soups were served in very large bowls and were quite satisfying. For our main courses we had stuffed cabbage and a walnut terrine ,of sorts. Both entrees were served with a delightful medley of roasted vegetables. The ample portion of lacy cabbage was stuffed with rice and seitan then served with a nice tomato sauce. The timbale of walnut terrine had a distinctive mushroom flavor and was accented with pine nuts. A flavorful white sauce rounded out the dish and went well with the accompanying dauphinois style potatoes. Overall we had a very nice dinner. The restaurant did become quite crowded and there was only one waitress who's English was not the best and at least half the patrons spoke English which slowed down service. The prices were also a bit on the higher side..although we left with our stomachs quite full. We didn't have room for desserts although they looked and sounded great!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 26, 2012

Pros: Variety, Innovative, 100% vegan

Cons: Price, Not enough servers, Lack of English

Veganized French food - Edit

I really enjoyed my meal here. It wasn't the best thing ever, but it was quite good and interesting. I ended up having the beef bourguignon which was made with seitan. It was the kind of vegan dish I've never had in the US. It was close to where we stayed in the Marais. As others have mentioned it wasn't cheap, but Paris is expensive. Vegan options clearly indicated and English menu available.

Pros: French dishes, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Pricey

Awful - Edit

I'm generally positive about restaurant experiences, but it doesn't apply in this case. This restaurant is simply terrible. I don't have a problem with paying for meals that are on the expensive side, but when the quality of the food is inferior, 26 euros is extortionate.

I went to here tonight, ordering the spinach-walnut lasagne and the creme brulee. The lasagne was not so bad as to be inedible, but it neither tasted fresh nor tasted as though it was the work of a restaurant chef. The restaurant describes itself as being homestyle. "Bland and sloppily prepared" is a more honest description. The pasta of the lasagne had a tough texture, which made it taste as though it lacked freshness, and there was no real creaminess to the dish. It tasted mostly of parmesan (which I'm guessing and hoping was a substitute, since the menu stated that they are fully vegan, which isn't said on Happy Cow) and bland, overcooked spinach (actually silverbeet as we'd call it in Australia, which is less tasty). The real shocker of the experience was the dessert of "creme brulee." It bore no resemblance to the dish whatsoever and was a liquid tangy, acidic mess with some brown burnt spots on top and undissolved granulated sugar throughout. I ate a small spoonful of it and just thought, "What?" I thought I might have been being hasty, so I tried another small spoonful. Nope, it was awful. I wish I could describe in words just how unpalatable the dish was. In 7 years of veganism, this is the worst restaurant cooking I've ever encountered. I genuinely felt offended that those running the restaurant believed it acceptable to serve food of this standard in a restaurant environment. Honestly, I cannot believe I spent the money that I spent on this meal for the quality of food I received. This was the only time I've ever felt close to sending food back to the kitchen because of unacceptably poor quality. I'm a bit timid, so I didn't. I wish I could've brought myself to, because the food was disgracefully bad.

I wouldn't recommend going to this restaurant, even in a city like Paris where veg options can be hard to find. I like to try out every place with vegan options when I visit cities, and I've done that in Paris. Many have been average. This one was poor, and after this experience, it won't be getting another chance from me.

Pros: Apparently vegan, Side salad seemed fresh, Relatively convenient location

Cons: Worst restaurant food I've had yet, Service slow and a bit cold, You pay a lot of money for what you get

Le Potager du Marais used to be better - Edit

I agree with the last few reviews -Le Potager du Marais used to be better, and the food seems to have gone downhill.

We visited three times -each about a year apart. The first two times, we really liked it, but were quite disappointed by the last visit (31/8/12). Essentially, the food just isn't as good as it used to be.

We ordered the quinoa burger and a nut bake. Both were ok, but a bit tasteless -I felt I could do better myself at home. The salad was dry and boring. Mains were 15 euro each, and we didn't feel that they were worth this. Meals also arrived very quickly -within a couple of minutes of ordering -as another reviewer pointed out -they are not cooking to order. Just putting out the food canteen style.

Other than the food, the restaurant is ok. Service is friendly, tables are a bit cramped. We did like the wine.

This review isn't really a complaint about the prices, as we expected that -we just expected the food to match it.

Pros: Wine was good, Staff friendly

Cons: Food not tasty enough, Price far too high for low quality meal

Very surprised (and disappointed) - Edit

Le Potager du Marais was the only vegetarian restaurant that we actively sought out when we were staying in Paris. We were excited to go there and arrived a little after 1pm, two of us and our french bulldog, my husband's service dog. We were promptly told that we would not be allowed in the restaurant with our dog (claiming that there was no room for a dog). Please note that the restaurant was NOT full--there were only a few occupied tables. We were completely shocked...a vegetarian restaurant unaccepting of a clean, well-behaved, service animal?! This was the ONLY restaurant/cafe/brasserie in all of Paris that did not allow our service dog. In every other dining establishment, he joined us, rested under or near the table and was treated very warmly by the staff. We were extremely disappointed and surprised with Le Potager and will not return--with or without our dog.

agree with previous review - Edit

This restaurant is in Marais almost next to centre Pompidou so I can imagine that many tourists would come here.

However, I warn you. This is an expansive restaurant with tasteless food.

It started with that I got a glass which was dirty, asked for a new one and got another dirty glass. I gave up.

I ordered the main course for 17 euro, asked first if starter was not included but it was not. 17 euro, even though it is Marais, in a simple restaurant with dirty glasses is a lot when you are served food after 5 minutes since it is already prepared (see previous review).

I ordered lentils with tofu. Completely tasteless. I tried to eat it but I have eaten so many delicious lentils courses in my life that I gave up.

There are many other better vegan/vegetarian restaurants in city center of Paris so why visit this one?

It is really too expansive when they serve canteen food.

Pros: in Marais, nothing else

Cons: tasteless food, not clean, bad service

Really disappointing...what happened? - Edit

Ok, I never write reviews but this needs to be done... so a couple of years ago me and my partner went to this restaurant were we had a fantastic tartiflette dish.....so we were so excited to go back here. Once we got here, the interior was changed and the menu is changed as well. No tartiflette anymore..but ok, we went for something else. We got the suggestion main (spinach pie with goat cheese) and a salad (with warm goats cheese and honey walnuts and olives). It was like 5 minutes later on our tables....surprisingly quick. The quality of the food was not so impressive. The salad was really boring and tasteless....just green leafs of salad with four pieces of tomato, a few pieces of cucumber,lots of grated carrot and some walnuts...o yeah, and 3 salty smushed kalamata olives....nothing was done with it, no dressing...just a dry salad with no taste. Just like a pre made bag of salad from the supermarket....O and of course 3 pieces of soaked bread with goats cheese..bad quality. I thought this was really disappointing because we payed 16 euro's for this salad. Its a scam, totally not worth it. Thats all I can say about this...As for the spinach pie...well this is something you can make at home. Nothing special..also for the price of 16 euro's....
We really wondered what happened in the kitchen because this didn't taste like someone had cooked this diner with some passion for us, like we were used too with the tartiflette dish. When my boyfriend went to the bathroom, he saw what happened. Its just a soup kitchen...with big containers under warm lights where the food is resting..and the 'cook' is just putting it on the plate...well that explains the short time between ordering and getting the food.
Really disappointing. Don't go here. I don't know what happened in the last couple of years, but its totally not worth your money. Don't go here. This is zero cows worth...not 2.

For the dutch speaking ppl here:
De salade is eigenlijk net zoals een zakje voorverpakte salade van een willekeurige supermarkt...blaadjes sla met wat geraspte wortel....echt belachelijk, meer woorden heb ik hier niet voor. Voor 16 euro.

Pros: none

Cons: bad quality, nearly impossible to contact, seriously overpriced, not worth it