Le Potager du Marais

Contact 01-57409857

24 rue Rambuteau, Paris, France, 75003

Very small, rustic Paris vegan restaurant decorated with lush plants. Serves French cuisine in vegan versions: soups, tarte, pate, patty, gratin, moussaka, dessert. A pastry chef prepares the desserts which might include lemon bars, carrot cake, and blueberry bundt. Offers a 3-course dinner menu. Reservation suggested to ensure seating. Kitchen stops at 10pm. Vegan since 2012. Directions: From metro station Rambuteau, you see rue Rambuteau from the exit, the place is 50 meters on the left. Open Mon 12:00pm-4:00pm, Mon-Sat 7:00pm-12:00am, Tue-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Wed-Sun 12:00pm-4:00pm. Last orders at 3:00 pm (lunch) and at 10.30 pm (dinner).

Category: Vegan, Organic, Beer/Wine, French

First Review by MBermingham

Delicious! - Edit

We didn't have a reservation, but thought we would see if we could get a table if we arrived right at 7. The waiter said he could seat us but he needed the table by 9. He urged us to make a reservation next time, which clearly is the best idea. The restaurant is small, but the atmosphere is cozy. The food was outstanding. I had the rolled bean roast, which was not only great tasting, but it was a dish I had never had before. Unfortunately, I was just a visitor to Paris, but I would definitely try to go back if I'm ever in Paris again.

Traditional French Food Veganized! - Edit

Make a reservation or you may miss out! Seriously, don't chance it they book up quickly.

The food was a nice treat, I've never tasted traditional French food since I've been vegan so long, I liked it. My partner kept asking me, "Are you sure this is vegan?" so that's always a good sign. ;)

We shared some of the dishes and a couple were 5 stars and a couple were more like 3 stars. My dining companion did tell me the Crème Brule was nothing like the non-vegan kind so just be ready for that.

Still, the helpings are large, the food tasted good, it was a special treat to eat real French food at what felt like a real French bistro restaurant after depending so heavily on Asian and cafe food during our trip. Gluten free things are clearly labelled and more than half of the menu was gluten free so that was nice, too.

Definitely worth checking out when you're in Paris!

Pros: Great vegan options , Authentic French restaurant atmosphere , Gluten free friendly

Cons: Crowded, Slow service

I'd like to see more vegan restaurants like this - Edit

What I mean is: when looking for veg* food, both at home and abroad, the easiest option is ethnic food. When abroad -and especially in such generally veg-unfriendly places as France and Italy - this means you will never get to have a taste of the national cuisine. And then you have Le Potager du Marais, a perfect combination of French cooking and cruelty-free philosophy. The concept alone would be enough to give it 5 stars. Moreover, the food was delicious: the Rolled lupine bean roast with spinach, mushrooms and green pepper sauce was simply the best. Plus, the owner and the waiters are nice and super-professional. Can't wait to see more vegan restaurants like this in those countries with a strong, peculiar national cuisine that could very well be "veganized".

Pros: Wide choice of great dishes, Cozy environment, professional staff, Within walking distance from the Pompidou Center

Cons: Slightly expensive

French - Edit

I've been there several times, it's mostly veganized french traditionnal dishes, like galettes bretonnes, salade auvergnate, etc. They also have good wine and cider.
The staff was nice and enthusiastic about veganism, which is always a pleasure.

Pros: french typical food, nice location near museums, good wine

Beautiful restaurant - Edit

A beautiful restaurant with plants and a darker and good ambience - located centrally next to the Pompedieu Centre and with such friendly staff!

Gets very busy on weekends so reserve a table ahead.

Food is delicious, the menu is great. Around €16 a dish, it's a little expensive, but for things like the vegan bourguignon it's worth it.

Creme brûlée delicious too, and the complimentary filtered water was surprisingly delicious

Pros: variety, Taste, service

Cons: price

Excellent Vegan Find in Paris - Edit

I took a non-vegan French friend here for lunch and we both loved it. The food was tasty and among the healthiest I've had at a restaurant since it didn't taste like it had a lot of added oil or salt. I had the cabbage roll which included all fresh seasonal food. And we split the chocolate cake which was divine. The waiter was friendly and spoke good English too. It's also located in a fun neighborhood.

Pros: Tasty and healthy vegan food, friendly staff & quick service, reasonable prices

Cons: pretty small space with tables close together

Totally loved it - Edit

First of all, BOOK you have to book in advance because this restaurant is very busy; when I got there they had all booked until midnight and I had to eat outside in the cold because I really wanted to eat there before leaving France. It's a really good restaurant that's why many people go there.
They have a huge menu. Everything is super delicious.
They lasagna is a must!! But the savory crepe I didn't like very much and the carrot cake was way too sweet. Anyways, everything else is really tasty I swear.
Location is very easy to find.

Pros: Great food, Easy to find, by walking

Cons: Some dishes too savory or too sweet., Very busy/crowded

Overpriced not so special food - Edit

The food here was not very special. It was overpriced and they use the microwave to heat the food. You could say an advantage of microwaved food is the quick serving of the meal. Bread (as a side) was old and dry. Prices seem steep for this quality.

Deserves its popularity - Edit

A truly outstanding menu. I had onion soup, seitan stew and choc cake. All of them were tasty and generously portioned. I have never seen so many people turned away from a restaurant, vegan or otherwise, due to it being so busy / popular. Lovely staff, cosy feel, highly recommended - get there early or book though.

Pros: range of choices, excellent desserts, friendly and efficient service

Cons: none that I could see

delicious - Edit

Really delicious food, very busy - many people arrived but were turned away as no room. I had the French onion soup - cheese very good, spinach and walnut lasagne again the cheese really good, and chocolate mousse - yummy! Really lovely place and staff very nice.

My Favorite Restaurant in Paris - Edit

I've been to Le Potager du Marais many times.
Let's start by saying that it's my favorite restaurant in Paris.

The food is superb, the atmosphere good (although it can get a bit loud sometimes), and the service impeccable.

The menu is rather French, and the food, all organic, has a homemade feel to me. I've probably tried everything in their menu; being some of the highlights the lasagna, the onion soup and the lupin roll.
Desserts are also yummy; and I love the "chocolat a l'ancienne", as the drink is not sweet at all.

Prices are fair considering the quality and the portions.
The only thing I wish they'd do is to shuffle the menu a little bit from time to time, especially now that I have tried pretty much everything they have. :)

If you are in Paris, even for a day, I'd strongly recommend you to give it a try. But think of calling in advance and make a reservation, as I've seen many times people being turned away as the place was fully booked.

Pros: amazing food, service, good value

Cons: none

Amazing, just amazing - Edit

I absolutely loved the food there. It has a large variety and even includes gluten-free food. I had the onion soup and the lasagna, which was so delicious. It came along with salad, and the other main dishes come along with either quinoa, mashed potatoes, or rice. There wasn't much choice for wine, tho, but the staff was really friendly. Nice ambience, but a small place, too.

Pros: Amazing food, Gluten free options, Friendly staff

Cons: Little choice in wine, Small space, A bit pricey

super ! - Edit

Tres bon, bien présenté et équipe super sympa !
"Boeuf bourguignon bluffant " ont dit les copains non végé :)!!
Dimanche soir vaut mieux réserver !

Pros: tres convivial

Cons: prix un peu élevé

Return to Paris Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Le Potager du Marais closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.