Le Pain Quotidien - Galerie de la Reine

+32-25020220

Galerie de la Reine 1, Brussels, Belgium, 1000

Serves meat, vegan options available. Situated within the famous "Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert", 5 minutes walk from Brussels Central station. International restaurant chain featuring organic artisan bakery and communal table. Menu includes several ovo-lacto vegetarian dishes and a few vegan ones plus a vegan muffin. Many locations in Belgium. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-7:00pm, Sun 8:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by Gudrun

Not bad at all - Edit

On a holiday where every veg restaurant was closed I tried this place and it was all good.

It's not a veg restaurant so the options are very limited but everything I tried was good. The service was also very good, might be a little bit slow since it's usually a busy place. No complains.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-04

Breakfast on the go - Edit

They had two vegan muffins - blueberry and apple/cinnamon, esp. the apple one was great and saved med from being grumpy and hungry. It was big and filling.

Quick service, limited choice - Edit

This is the larger Le Pain Quotidien in the centre; the upstairs is huge, with classical music playing in the background, and very speedy service. Many of the staff speak fluent French, Flemish and English, and in any case, the menu prevents communication problems by marking vegan and vegetarian items. To be honest, more vegan options would be nice – there were no vegan specials or desserts on the day I went – but my soup was delicious and with two types of bread and croutons that come with it, even the small portion was very filling. There is also a vegan salad on the menu, as well as rice-milk porridge on the breakfast menu until 12. I had the problem that the wifi didn't work – nobody could explain why – which was annoying but would not stop me going back. On the other hand, there are fully-vegetarian places in Brussels that I would make a higher priority.

Pros: size, labelling, service

Cons: limited choice for vegans

A pity... - Edit

I was really happy when I discovered this branch of "Le Pain Quotidien". LPQ has saved me in other non-veg friendly places many times - and Brussels is clearly one of those.

This branch is situated within the famous, beautiful and busy 19th-century shopping arcade "Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert" / "Koninklijke Sint-Hubertusgalerijen" very close to the Central Station. As usually, the menu has a couple of items clearly marked as "vegan".

I was served by a lady taking the order and a guy bringing the food. I ordered a vegan dish with salad, dips and bread and a soy cappuccino. When ordering I stressed out that I am a vegan and verified that the food was vegan. The guy brought me the food, and I asked what the white sauce on the salad was. He checked and said there was egg in it, and that he was sorry. He was very friendly. I then got an extra side salad with olive oil. The food was quite good and fresh, the bread excellent.

I started to drink the soy cappuccino but I felt it tasked pretty milky. It did not help that it looked exactly like the regular cappuccino on the table next to me, and on my voucher it just said "cappuccino". When the lady who took the order passed by I asked if this was really soy cappuccino, and she asked back: "What did you order?". I replied "Soy cappuccino". In a very unfriendly way she said: "If you ordered soy cappuccino, then you got soy cappuccino". I decided not to finish the cappuccino.

This is really a pity because the place is meant to be vegan-friendly. Unfortunately this does not seem to have been communicated to the entire staff.

Pros: vegan labels, fresh food, partially friendly staff

Cons: cannot trust the tabels, partially very unfriendly staff, partially veg-unfriendly staff

Return to Brussels Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Le Pain Quotidien - Galerie de la Reine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2003 times.