Le Pain Quotidien - Philip Stockstraat

Contact 050336050

Philip Stockstraat 21, Bruges, Belgium, 8000

Serves meat, vegan options available. International restaurant chain featuring artisan bakery and communal table. Menu includes several ovo-lacto vegetarian dishes, plus a vegan breakfast item, vegan muffin, and coffee with soya milk. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-7:00pm, Sun 8:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Bakery, European, Non-veg

First Review by Sunnytraveller

They can do it a lot better! - Edit

A few weeks ago we visit the place and we've been left the place very dissapointed. Vegans don't try a breakfast, it's only dry bread with some jam who has used by a lot of clients!. We has to use oliveoil to smoothen the bread. No vegan or plantbased butter. My knive didn't get trough the bread so I had to rip it with my powerfull hands! lol The rest they put on that table was not vegan, dairy and honey in it. We asked some veganfood, do they know what this is?? BTW hot coffee in a big open soupcup is not very tasty and when it's so warm very unhandy to drink from it. Just had to wait untill it's cooled down... no problem it's very fast cold enough! Sorry but the walls are so dirty I should be ashamed. Defntly needs an refreshment. The young server was friendly but unaware of vegan and has less experience, so complain to him is useless? We have pay to much for what it was. Bread with some jam and that was it. So I wrote the owners and they send me a 2 free tickets for a new breakfeast. Is very kindly. May I hope they learn from it and make some changings? When we visit the place again I'll let you'll known soon. The idea of using 2 carrots show what vegan is is a good idea. But the soup, is this vegan? How you know?

Few months later i visit pq again... Nothing has changed, dirty walls, almost nothing is vegan. A hard cupcake, coffee and some thee thats it! I write to the owner and all they did was sending a free ticket for a new try breakfast! Again a big dissapointing for both of us!

I can believe how positive some vegans are especialy when its not worth visiting a bad business like this? They are not vegan and they think its vegan... its not. Some vegans looking through fingers or do they use pink glasses? Or are they so exited to click to many happy cow stars? Jeezes, i visit a lot of these so called veganhouses but 90% is not worth visiting it! We are from bruges and if we want some diner we have to visit ghent or its dissapointed mostly. Sorry im mostly positive but this sucks.

Updated from previous review on 2014-08-08

Pros: Vegan Cupcake, 2 carots on menu shows what is vegan

Cons: Dirty walls, dark inside., Very dissapointing for vegans & expensiv, Big soupcups for coffee.

Vegan Nightmare!! - Edit

From being told that the bread wasn't vegan when it actually was, to being served sardine pate and latterly being told that vegetarians eat fish, we left feeling very upset at the lack of knowledge of what they sell but most of all because of having inadvertently eaten animal for the first time in years and having no confidence in the four different staff we met during our visit, all of whom varied in their level of lack of knowledge. At least the guy on the till was pleasant but when he advised us that vegetarians eat fish we totally despaired! If you're vegan in Bruge please go to Hashtag Food and Reliva, both of which are wonderful for vegans.

Pros: None

Cons: Staff lacking in knowledge

Tasty and super healthy vegan food - an oasis! - Edit

During my recent trip in Bruges area I was with my vegan boyfriend and his omni parents, who prioritised sightseeing over hunting for vegan goodness.. So it was a tough few days food-wise. I wouldn't have gone to Le Pain Quotidien based on the reviews that I read on here, given that lots of other places sounded better. But we were hungry, short of time and happened to walk past, so I had a veg stew with quinoa (delicious!), and my boyfriend had avocado on toast, also super delicious, and we also had freshly squeezed orange juice.. It felt like I was back in my kitchen! There were lots more options that I can't recall now like humous and beetroot humous. I didn't even look at the prices to be honest as it was an one-off and I was so happy. I bought some vegan granola and bread too. My only vegan person's grudge (well, apart that it's not just a vegan place) is that they brought me cow's butter with my stew and bread, although I'd told the waitress we were vegan.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-15

Pros: A variety of healthy deliciousness, Central location, can sit outdoors in the square, Friendly staff

Cons: Brought me butter when I'd said I was vegan, Probably a little pricey although I don't remember

Vegan menu options in Belgium - Edit

Good food. They had vegan options on the menu. Breakfast options were: oatmeal with rice/soy milk and fruit, or a parfait with soyogurt and fruit, or an apple or blueberry muffin. But those are more vegan options than most places.

Pros: actual vegan options on the menu, quick service in any language you like

Cons: they still bring you dairy butter, they still bring you milk chocolate, so they don't quite understand

so nice - Edit

I only popped in to grab a little something and got some really good vegan muffins! I wanted to go back but didn't have time. The muffins were really good though.

Pros: yummy vegan muffins, great location

Cons: I wasn't there long enough

Some light vegan options for lunch - Edit

Soup of the day is always vegan, as is the bread served at the table. Some vegan options clearly labelled on menu card.
We had a soup, quinoa salad and Oriental dish. Nice food and fresh, but a bit overpriced for being a rather ‘light snack’ lunch. Although we specifically asked for vegan, the dishes came with butter on the side. No vegan butter available.
Service was rather slow (very friendly though), and seemed a bit chaotic. The place could use some cleaning up (eg dead plants on terrace).

For more vegan options in Bruges, visit our blog!

Pros: vegan options, fresh, terrace in back

Cons: rather expensive, not open for dinner, being served butter when ordering vegan

Vegan-Friendly and Organic! - Edit

This cozy place has a communal dining table and smaller tables in front, and a private dining area in the back for dinner parties. The vegan items on the menu are clearly marked with a carrot symbol, and many items are organic. The friendly staff will happily answer any questions about the dishes, too.

We ended up eating here twice. The first time, we got a zucchini and eggplant sandwich; side of hummus; and a platter with lentils with lemon zest, beetroot cream, tahini spread, sun dried tomatoes, olives, lettuce, and lots of bread. It was all very delicious, and the portion size was quite large.

For breakfast the next day, we had coffee (served in a soupcup rather than a coffee cup?!), oatmeal, and fresh fruit. It was nice to eat something other than bread for breakfast!

Overall, a great vegan option for the city.

Pros: friendly staff, good food

A vegan-friendly place in Bruges! - Edit

This place has a pleasant atmosphere, a friendly staff and offers clearly indicated vegan dishes, from starters to desserts, including also breakfast. Some of the dishes are organic, food is fresh and of good quality. I had a gazpacho as a starter and the only vegan salad that consisted of hummus, lentils and quinoa, salad, a beetroot cream and grilled eggplants with different types of bread. Food was really good and fresh but portions are not huge, which make them a little pricey. And unfortunately, their vegan muffins were all sold out at the time we came and they had no other vegan desserts. In spite of that, we were satisfied with this lunch and recommend the place for vegans in Bruges.

Pros: vegan options clearly indicated, good food and pleasant place , friendly staff, central

Cons: a little pricey, few vegan desserts

Great place nice people! - Edit

I am vegan so I was looking for places in Bruges where I could eat during my stay and this was the first place where I went. This is a lovely place with lovely staff! I went there just before the closing time and though they have already closed the kitchen, they immediately have opened it for me and made me a wonderful lunch (dinner). I had Soup of the Day (Courgette soup with Coriander) and for the main I choose the Asian plate. They were kind and helpful.

Pros: Reasonable price, Delicious, excellent food, Friendly staff

Lovely cafe with good service - Edit

We had lunch here and found the soup of the day (tomato) tasty and generous. The dishes we chose as our mains were also nice, but perhaps a bit small for the price and a bit lighter than we were expecting. However, it was still an enjoyable meal and a relief to find somewhere so nice to sit down, with a well-labelled menu with several vegan options and an efficient and helpful staff.

Pros: clear labelling, tasty soup with plenty of bread, beautiful interior

Cons: on the pricey side

Great for coffee and a muffin, bad for lunch - Edit

Having enjoyed a great coffee with a decent muffin (4.10 Euros when staying, 3 Euros take away) in this place, we decided we would like to take lunch here on another day. However one disaster followed the other:
- the soup of the day was nearly cold
- the second soup was rather untasty
- the bread was only ok (from the day before?)
- we had ordered hot chocolate with soy-milk and we were served hot chocolate with cows milk instead >:(

The quinoa salad was quite tasty though. We do recommend the muffins (apple / blueberry), however they seem to be sold out by noon (we got the last muffin on both occasions).

Overall: Nice atmosphere but rather expensive food that is very disappointing. Few vegan options.

Pros: decent muffins, nice atmosphere

Cons: expensive, disappointing food, few vegan options

Great, tasty food! - Edit

Hi all,

I highly recommend this place for lunch/daytime (not open at night). Really tasty organic food. It has heaps of vego options, and importantly VEGAN options. The 2 vegan dishes we tried were fantastic!

So please remember this place when you go to Bruges. Unfortunately over the summer many vego restaurants are closed for the holidays (very distressing for a vego of 16 years!), but it was a real treat to find this place and get some great food -really really tasty.

Also, when I emailed one restaurant they sent me the following options in Bruges:

De Bron in Katelijnestraat (only during the day and not in the weekends);
Patrick De Vos in Zilverstraat has a special vegetarian menu (but is a
real gourmet restaurant and therefore not cheap).
Indian Restaurant Bhavani, they always have vegterian dishes.

Thank you! :)

Return to Bruges Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Le Pain Quotidien - Philip Stockstraat closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2813 times since Oct 2011.