Le Pain Quotidien - 7th Ave

Contact 212-757-0775

922 7th Ave (at 58th St, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10019

Serves meat, vegan options available. International restaurant chain featuring artisan bakery and communal table. Menu includes several ovo-lacto vegetarian dishes as well as vegan ones (denote by carrot sign). Locations throughout NYC - see website.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Western, Bakery, Non-veg

First Review by Alayhame

Reliable veggie options - Edit

Pain Quotidien is pretty standard. The menu doesn't change from location to location, and I always thought quality didn't vary too much either. However, in going to our local Pain Quotidian on Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, I noticed the food was not nearly as good as the one below my parents' apartment in NYC. This one in NYC is always a solid quality. I've had a variety of items off the menu, and each is always quite good.

My main order is the avocado toast tartine or the hummus tartine (if I'm lucky, I go with someone who will order whichever I don't, and we'll split each). The avocado toast is topped with shredded carrots, nuts, chia seeds and some oil. Pretty simply done but very tasty. The bread is nicely toasted. The hummus one has golden raisins, nuts, carrots and (I believe) harissa). Both are filling and have a good amount of flavor (the hummus one is actually quite spicy). Last time I tried the tofu quiche. Consistency was actually surprisingly good - it wasn't trying to taste like eggs and instead mostly tasted of the veggies it was cooked with, not like a stark piece of tofu. Really tasty but not nearly as filling. My mom and I had to share a chocolate mousse after not being totally full. The mousse was fluffy yet airy and a deep chocolate, but the whipped cream on top was a bit sour, so we avoided that. My sister also loves their macaroons, and that they do have options for vegans, even for dessert!

Service can be hit or miss, as this Pain Quotidian is always packed. If you get the right server, you can be in and out. If you don't, you have to stay on top of them a bit, but food still generally comes quickly. Takeout is also ready very quickly. Prices aren't cheap, but it is a filling sit-down meal (well, the quiche is particularly not that cheap, given it's not too filling)! Very convenient for us in a pinch though.

quaint, French breakfasts - Edit

I really enjoyed seeing the "green" atmosphere-they all had shirts that said organic cotton and they had a lot of beautiful art and signs promoting a greener planet and encouraging eating more plants. Everyone was very friendly and my breakfast of vegan quiche was delicious. My only complaint was my $14 bill and an extremely small serving. But it was good for what it was :)

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Le Pain Quotidien - 7th Ave closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1398 times since Jul 2012.