Le Coccole

06-62455556

3-4-1 Kitakyuhojimachi, Chuo-ku (at Honmachi), Osaka, Japan,

Small vegan restaurant using mostly organic and local ingredients. Some English spoken. English and Chinese menus available as well as Japanese. Lunch menu (11:30-last order 2pm) offers 3 options: Japanese curry, daily seasonal plate lunch, tomato sauce risotto. Sweets (all day) include chocolate mousse cake and strawberry cheesecake. Drinks include coffee, tea, soy chai, hot chocolate, and smoothies. Dinner menu (6-9pm) similar to lunch but also includes quiche. Nearest to Hommachi subway station. Address in Japanese: 大阪府大阪市中央区北久宝寺町3-4-1 Open Wed-Sat 11:30am-9:00pm, Sun 11:30am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Organic

First Review by lemurcat

5 Stars - Edit

Delicious food, best we have found in Japan. Cosy cafe with outside seating. Happy to please and took the time to explain things to us. Owner can speak English. Just go! ?

The best vegan and organic in Osaka! - Edit

According to me the best vegan restaurant in Osaka and all is organic!
The owner is very friendly and she knows a lot about organic food, places, shop. She is very strict regarding the quality of the ingredients. She can speak a little English and French . The place is cute and comfortable and the food is very tasty. Don't leave the place without eating her cakes!

Pros: Vegan and all is organic, Very tasty, Owner knows a lot about organic, natural things...

Vegan spaghetti! - Edit

Came across this on happy cow wit good ratings, and now I'm here to try make them even better!
Small friendly cafe down the streets near Honmachi, easy to find with the signs out the front lit up on a not so bright street.
Beautiful food and amazing one on one hosting, they take great pride in what they do.
Had the pasta dish with two salads and a soup, absolutely amazing! Loved every bit of it.
Am going to try return before departing Osaka, this restaurant and the way they operate they make it truly stand out that you are more than just a number.
Recommend 10/10!!

Pros: Friendly, Healthy, Easy Going

Cons: None, None, None

Delicious vegan food, cute funky vibe - Edit

We ate here for dinner and really enjoyed our meal. We had a platter, risotto, pasta and fried rice. The food was all prepared by the single staff member (the owner?), and was all very nice. I'd recommend eating here!

The vibe was funky but relaxed with chill music playing, eclectic decor and friendly staff.

There is not much seating inside (about 15 people?), and there are a few tables outside. I would recommend getting here early for dinner to make sure you get in before last order.

Pros: Great food, Funky vibe

Cons: Small place, Can close early

Great Lunch in Honmachi - Edit

The space is the perfect mix of cute and hip, very relaxing and when the weather is nice the courtyard is my favourite place to have dinner.

The food is always delicious with a wide selection for dinner. Although, I think you get more for your money with the lunch plate and you get to try lots of seasonal vegetables.

Definitely recommend for vegan/vegetarian/health-concious diners!

Pros: big open space, seasonal, organic produce, friendly staff

a quaint cosy little restaurant - Edit

Enjoyed a delicious Japanese curry set dinner at this lovely small restaurant located at the quiet side of shinsaibashi. they have a chinese menu which was a plus! the soup had some indian spices wh was what we need on a cold wet night.

Cons: reasonably priced

Excellent (mostly vegan) restaurant - Edit

We received an extremely warm and friendly welcome from the lady who owns and runs this restaurant and also does all the cooking. We both had the daily vegan set meal which was delicious and plentiful. The owner speaks very good English which was very helpful as we do not speak any Japanese. She was absolutely charming and we had a lovely evening.

Pros: Excellent food, Super friendly owner, Nice vibe

Amazing food! - Edit

This place is easy to find so do yourself a favour and pay it a visit.
We ordered the set menu, I chose the curry and my partner the risotto. Both meals were bursting with flavour and amazing!! The size of the meals were very generous and for a reasonable price. We did not try dessert since we were so full!
Excellent service and amazing food - a cafe worthy of your business ?

One of My Favourites In Osaka - Edit

I've come to Le Coccole MANY times, and have had a great experience more often than any other cafe in Osaka. The owner, Tomomi, is really kind and helpful, and I recommend talking to her if you can! (she does speak some English). The veggie lunch and dinner plates are different every day, as she uses mainly seasonal organic produce from her brother's farm in Nara. I really feel like I can trust her to serve the healthiest, freshest meal possible. The desserts are also really nice, as are the smoothies and hot drinks. Yes she does use honey sometimes in some of the hot beverages :( Please check if you're unsure - she will understand easily if you are vegan and use another sweetener.
Occasionally some dishes are too salty or oily, but generally it's fine.
The atmosphere is quirky and cute, and it's nice sitting outside under the veranda on a nice day. Unfortunately she does allow people to smoke outside if they like, which I don't understand - but usually no one is doing so.
Although it has some imperfections, Le Coccole gets 5/5 in my books because it's pretty darn close to perfect.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-09

Pros: Wholesome, fresh, seasonal food, Kind and friendly owner, Quirky cute atmosphere

Cons: Occasionally salty/oily, Occasionally sells out at lunch, Portions might be small for some

The best meal in Japan! - Edit

If you visit Osaka, I would highly recommend this place. I came here for dinner and ordered the curry set meal which same with a salad and soup. Such care had been taken in making the food.
The lady who runs the place chatted for a while. Her brother grows most of the vegetables that she uses in her cooking and you can taste that she uses only the bet quality ingredients. Really happy I found this place and will definitely return if I return to Osaka.

Le Coccole, Osaka - Edit

My spouse and I dined here this evening. It was generally a very enjoyable experience.

We each ordered a dinner set. This involved what seemed like some sort of sweet potato soup to begin with. It was delicious. There was then each a different salad each (there was a different salad to accompany each set). Then for the mains I had Japanese curry and my lady had a fried rice dish. It all tasted very nice indeed.

One slight surprise was at the time today the happycow listing for this place is vegan. On the menu there is honey for one of the drinks. I asked the very nice lady who runs this place if this is indeed honey rather than for example, agave. She confirmed it's honey. I'll submit an update to HappyCow HQ in LA for the classification to be downgraded from vegan to vegetarian.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Great food, Nice vibe

Cons: Shame about the honey

Elle444 26 Dec 2016 - The owner removed the only one drink with honey from her menu so it is now 100% vegan. (It was before too except for This drink)

Friendly but not a fan - Edit

The lady was nice, but I probably won't return. It's expensive, 1300 yen for a lunch. And only 3 choices, none Japanese (except for rice and miso): Indian curry, risotto, or veggies. It wasn't bad, but not really satisfying.

tomomi lecoccole 10 Sep 2016 - Hi ! Thank you for the review and thank you for coming.I'm sorry that you were not satisfied. Please let me explain..... then, I hope that you can be happier.
I used Organic vegetable and natural ingredient,almost all, about98%!! it is different with others. I cook 3 kinds of cooking for "Vege plate", but actually I use many kinds of vegetable or enough quantity. and it depends, I cook Japanese style often for "vege plate". And it takes expensive to prepare. For foreigner, Japanese style is maybe interesting, but for especially Japanese people, I want to suggest various style to tell Fun of Vegetarian cooking. in Japan, you know, there are not a lot of people who knows benefits of vegan or vegetarian style or eating Organic natural food.and Japanese customers don't say it is expensive, rather they say it is reasonable, maybe they understand Japanese Organic expensive situation. I effort to tell benefits of eating good quality natural food to people. at the same time, I want to protect Nature and Organic farmer, etc. I never be business woman, it is very hard to manage Organic restaurant, actually it never be business in my restaurant.
SO sorry for long message. excuse me. if I could reduce your uncomfortable feeling for you, I'm glad. thank you so much for reading it.
Tomomi

Très bon - Edit

Nous avons très bien mangé. La jeune serveuse parle très bien l'anglais. Elle et sa collègue nous ont donné des idées de visites dans la région. C'était un plaisir de pouvoir discuter un peu avec des japonais. Les plats étaient très copieux et vraiment bons. A tester absolument.

Great Atmosphere and Staff - Just OK Food - Edit

I'll start this off by saying that it looks like Le Coccole is a much better option for lunch rather than dinner, so disappointed I didn't have time to try the lunch menu.

The staff are so sweet and kind, the atmosphere relaxed and very unexpected in the heart of Osaka.

I had a set which came with a plate of salads and a rice dish, all were OK but not really what I was hoping for.

Because of the atmosphere and staff I gave this a 3/5 but would definitely come back to try lunch another time if I could!

Awesome food, great armosphere - Edit

Really nice little restaurant smack in the middle among the high-rises, very relaxing atmosphere and the food is really great. I came here for lunch having the curry set, decided to come back for dinner and had the pasta, and now I'm back again watching while my risotto is prepared. Didn't feel any need to look elsewhere for food :) Warmly recommended.

Pros: all vegan, as much as possible locally produced, great atmosphere

A Dinner Party - Edit

Though it's in a good location, you basically have to be looking for it. You enter. There's one woman working there. She takes your order; she brings your drink; she makes your food; she takes your payment. She never leaves the open room - never stops performing. It is as if you are a special guest in her house.

Speak to her in English, she'll understand better than many. Comment on a dish, she will give you the story of the ingredients and where she got them. Old friends of hers come in, and pay you respect as well.

The food is enjoyable. It has a homemade feel, because that's what it is. Each dish has love and care in it. The desserts are divine.

Enjoy your meal, pay in cash, and be nice to the lady at Le Coccole. She's awesome, and I will probably become a regular.

Pros: Home cooking , Cool music, A performance, in a way

Cons: Not the easiest to find the first time, The menu is on the small side, I can only eat one dessert per meal

Cozy restaurant tucked away in busy Osaka - Edit

Delicious food, cozy atmosphere, and friendly staff members!

Pure joy. - Edit

I've been to numerous vegan/vegetarian places, but this one is by far my favourite. Great food, lovely desserts, amazing staff (the owner is extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about what she's doing)... The atmosphere is relaxing and homely. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up to be able to try out eating in the garden.

Pros: Fooooood!!, Staff, Atmosphere

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Le Coccole closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.