Le Coccole

Contact 06-62455556

3-4-1 Kitakyuhojimachi, Chuo-ku (at Honmachi), Osaka, Japan,

Small veggie restaurant with local atmosphere, at 大阪府大阪市中央区北久宝寺町3-4-1. Most ingredients are organic. Some are family grown. Honey used in a beverage. Food is all vegan. Some English spoken. English and Chinese menus available as well as Japanese. Lunch menu offers 3 options: Japanese curry, plate lunch, tomato sauce risotto. Dinner menu is more extensive. Near Hommachi and Sakaisuji-Hommachi subway stations. Check its webpage or call to confirm as open days varies. Wed-Sat 11:30am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Organic

First Review by lemurcat

The best meal in Japan! - Edit

If you visit Osaka, I would highly recommend this place. I came here for dinner and ordered the curry set meal which same with a salad and soup. Such care had been taken in making the food.
The lady who runs the place chatted for a while. Her brother grows most of the vegetables that she uses in her cooking and you can taste that she uses only the bet quality ingredients. Really happy I found this place and will definitely return if I return to Osaka.

Le Coccole, Osaka - Edit

My spouse and I dined here this evening. It was generally a very enjoyable experience.

We each ordered a dinner set. This involved what seemed like some sort of sweet potato soup to begin with. It was delicious. There was then each a different salad each (there was a different salad to accompany each set). Then for the mains I had Japanese curry and my lady had a fried rice dish. It all tasted very nice indeed.

One slight surprise was at the time today the happycow listing for this place is vegan. On the menu there is honey for one of the drinks. I asked the very nice lady who runs this place if this is indeed honey rather than for example, agave. She confirmed it's honey. I'll submit an update to HappyCow HQ in LA for the classification to be downgraded from vegan to vegetarian.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Great food, Nice vibe

Cons: Shame about the honey

Friendly but not a fan - Edit

The lady was nice, but I probably won't return. It's expensive, 1300 yen for a lunch. And only 3 choices, none Japanese (except for rice and miso): Indian curry, risotto, or veggies. It wasn't bad, but not really satisfying.

tomomi lecoccole Hi ! Thank you for the review and thank you for coming.I'm sorry that you were not satisfied. Please let me explain..... then, I hope that you can be happier.
I used Organic vegetable and natural ingredient,almost all, about98%!! it is different with others. I cook 3 kinds of cooking for "Vege plate", but actually I use many kinds of vegetable or enough quantity. and it depends, I cook Japanese style often for "vege plate". And it takes expensive to prepare. For foreigner, Japanese style is maybe interesting, but for especially Japanese people, I want to suggest various style to tell Fun of Vegetarian cooking. in Japan, you know, there are not a lot of people who knows benefits of vegan or vegetarian style or eating Organic natural food.and Japanese customers don't say it is expensive, rather they say it is reasonable, maybe they understand Japanese Organic expensive situation. I effort to tell benefits of eating good quality natural food to people. at the same time, I want to protect Nature and Organic farmer, etc. I never be business woman, it is very hard to manage Organic restaurant, actually it never be business in my restaurant.
SO sorry for long message. excuse me. if I could reduce your uncomfortable feeling for you, I'm glad. thank you so much for reading it.
Tomomi

One of My Favourites In Osaka - Edit

I've come to Le Coccole MANY times and 9/10 I leave totally satisfied. The owner, Tomomi, is incredibly kind and helpful, and I recommend talking to her if you can! (she does speak some English). The veggies plates are different every day, as she uses mainly produce that's organic and in season. During the summer and fall, most of it comes from her brother's organic farm in Nara. This is somewhere you know for sure that the food is healthy, clean, safe, and wholesome. The curry also changes in the same way, which can be sad when she makes a one-off which I particularly, love, but they are usually really good. My only complaint, as with most places I go, is that sometimes things are just too salty. This doesn't happen often here, though. The desserts are also great, as is the rich, soy hot chocolate, and the smoothies. The atmosphere is quirky and cute, and I love sitting outside under the veranda on a nice day. Unfortunately she allows smoking outside which I just don't understand. Although it isn't perfect, this gets 5/5 but it's pretty darn close.

Pros: Wholesome, fresh, seasonal food, Kind and friendly owner, Quirky cute atmosphere

Cons: Occasionally salty , Occasionally sells out at lunch, Portions might be small for some

Très bon - Edit

Nous avons très bien mangé. La jeune serveuse parle très bien l'anglais. Elle et sa collègue nous ont donné des idées de visites dans la région. C'était un plaisir de pouvoir discuter un peu avec des japonais. Les plats étaient très copieux et vraiment bons. A tester absolument.

Great Atmosphere and Staff - Just OK Food - Edit

I'll start this off by saying that it looks like Le Coccole is a much better option for lunch rather than dinner, so disappointed I didn't have time to try the lunch menu.

The staff are so sweet and kind, the atmosphere relaxed and very unexpected in the heart of Osaka.

I had a set which came with a plate of salads and a rice dish, all were OK but not really what I was hoping for.

Because of the atmosphere and staff I gave this a 3/5 but would definitely come back to try lunch another time if I could!

Awesome food, great armosphere - Edit

Really nice little restaurant smack in the middle among the high-rises, very relaxing atmosphere and the food is really great. I came here for lunch having the curry set, decided to come back for dinner and had the pasta, and now I'm back again watching while my risotto is prepared. Didn't feel any need to look elsewhere for food :) Warmly recommended.

Pros: all vegan, as much as possible locally produced, great atmosphere

A Dinner Party - Edit

Though it's in a good location, you basically have to be looking for it. You enter. There's one woman working there. She takes your order; she brings your drink; she makes your food; she takes your payment. She never leaves the open room - never stops performing. It is as if you are a special guest in her house.

Speak to her in English, she'll understand better than many. Comment on a dish, she will give you the story of the ingredients and where she got them. Old friends of hers come in, and pay you respect as well.

The food is enjoyable. It has a homemade feel, because that's what it is. Each dish has love and care in it. The desserts are divine.

Enjoy your meal, pay in cash, and be nice to the lady at Le Coccole. She's awesome, and I will probably become a regular.

Pros: Home cooking , Cool music, A performance, in a way

Cons: Not the easiest to find the first time, The menu is on the small side, I can only eat one dessert per meal

Pure joy. - Edit

I've been to numerous vegan/vegetarian places, but this one is by far my favourite. Great food, lovely desserts, amazing staff (the owner is extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic about what she's doing)... The atmosphere is relaxing and homely. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up to be able to try out eating in the garden.

Pros: Fooooood!!, Staff, Atmosphere

Cozy, lovly place, take your time - Edit

This is a lovely restaurant, it is decorated in a French style, at least what Japaneses think to be French.

Le Coccole is run by the owner, she is very friendly, speaks enough English to order food and she does everything herself. While you wait, you can watch her do the dishes or prepare you food. That's the reason why one has to wait a little bit longer, be patient.

The food is a mixture of European and Japanese food. We had some pasta with seaweed, the desserts were European. Both were very tasty and a relief after too many Japanese noodle soups.

Pros: Cozy, lovly place, nice owner, Tasty fusion kitchen

Cons: have to wait longer than usual, limited spaces

adorable - Edit

Super sweet place, with outdoor garden seating in front. Lots if cute laid-back character, good dinner selection and everything tasty and healthy. Staff spoke some English, was very friendly.

Pros: enjoyable atmosphere, yummy food, walkable from nagahoribashi station

Great Staff, great food! - Edit

This is a great (though small) place tucked away between two metal sheds, and is really quite hard to find. Thankfully, Japanese taxi drivers are very adept at getting you to the general area based on the address of a place.

The lunch menu generally has three vegan dishes, of which I liked the veggie plate the best (it came with salad, soup, brown rice and cooked vegetables doused with soy mayonnaise, which was absolutely delicious). For dessert, the vegan cheesecake and the chocolate mousse were delicious. The menu was in english and the staff spoke enough english to get the order right.

Pros: Tasty items, Great staff, Great desserts

Cons: Slightly hard-to-find, Space is small

Delicious! - Edit

Really sweet staff and amazing food. I had the risotto and my partner had the tofu quiche. The food was full of flavour. It is true the service was slow but I personally don't think that made my experience any worse.

Pros: Good Flavour, Cute, Nice Staff

Cons: slow

Slow - Edit

This restaurant is very cute and the food is rather interesting. It's delicious, but my main complaint would have to be that the service is very slow. We got there pretty late, and that could explain why, perhaps? When we got there, there were others finishing up dinner. We ordered an appetizer (samosas with hijiki inside) and two dishes (one of them was soy risotto). The appetizer came out fairly quickly, and the two dishes followed shortly thereafter. However, still being hungry, we ordered a third dish and it took forever to come out. When it did, it was very good, but I'm not sure it was worth the wait. The last dish was a pasta with shiso (which didn't have dashi in it, by the way), Japanese basil, and nori. It was a very interesting twist on Italian food, but it took way too long to come out! We also had an apple pie dessert which was alright.

The staff was knowledgeable of veganism and very friendly.
They don't take credit cards, though - cash only.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 04, 2012

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly, Delicious

Cons: Slow, Cash Only

besides cheese, fully vegan! - Edit

such a lovely little Restaurant! everything is organic and cooked with love :) the two women (owners?) who worked there where very friendly and interested. One of them spoke a tiny bit English ( I speak Japanese (well, not fluently), so that was not a problem).
It was delicious and the prices were okay for an organic restaurant in Japan.

Pros: Organic, homey atmosphere, friendly staff

Cons: portions are a little bit small

Great - Edit

I went for dinner. The Japanese menu had dairy and egg clearly labeled although you should ask about fish (it is in the shiso sauce). Several excellent vegan desserts were available.

Pros: atmosphere, food

Cons: space a bit small, fish could be more clearly labeled

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Le Coccole closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8043 times since Feb 2011.