Laughing Planet Cafe - Belmont

Contact 503-235-6472

3320 SE Belmont St (at Belmont District), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97214

Serves meat, vegan options available. Multiple locations. Its vegetarian and vegan friendly menu features bowls, burritos, quesadilla, veggie burgers, soups, salads, steamed veggies, vegan desserts, smoothies, and juices. Has tofu and tempeh add-ons. Vegan items marked.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by prezeliz

Easy going patio on an otherwise posh street - Edit

Oh, Laughing Planet...you've come to my rescue when I'm hanging out with children, unadventurous eaters, older folks or omni's, and for that I think you. You have a lovely patio in the back and super-enthusiastic staff. They do smile a lot and that's something. I only wish I enjoyed your vegan food a bit more. Instead, it's food as I imagine my vegan options in my future retirement home: steamed, low-fat and under-dressed. But, you get an A+ for effort.

Pros: Comfortable, friendly and fast

Cons: Leaves a craving for fat, salt and sugar

:-) - Edit

Amazing selection of vegan food and fresh juices. A little too spicey for me but they have great salsa for those that like it!
Salsa bar is not there anymore. You have to ask for some.

Pros: location, vegan options, raw juice

Cons: request salsa , too spicy, pricey for add-ons

Huge Burritos - Edit

I've actually visited several Laughing Planet Cafe locations. Belmont was most recent. I admit I always get the same thing -- a bean burrito with the Vegan Deluxe option (no vegan cheese). I keep wanting to try something else, but the burrito is just so good! The vegan sour cream is one of the better sour creams I've had, and I absolutely love guacamole.

My partners get much more diverse fare there, and always enjoy it. My husband loves plantains, so he had the Che Guevara Burrito last time (plantains, sweet potatoes, beans, rice, barbeque sauce) and said it was fantastic. He's also had various of their bowls and salads and always says they're delicious.

Huge burritos, very filling, great taste combinations.

Pros: Large Portions, Tasty, Good Prices

Splendid! - Edit

We found this place just in the nick of time when my wife and little daughter were about to pass out from hunger and we couldn't find anything good to eat. It is sort of a fast food place, but a lot more casual and without the weird corporate atmosphere that the other fast food places seem to have.
As for the food, it was really good and healthy. They have lots of interesting burritos with unique flavors. Our daughter couldn't get enough of the sweep potatoes, and loved playing with the dinosaurs they put on every table.
If you have kids and want to go somewhere kid-friendly, this is it.

Pros: price, great food, healthy

Awesome - Edit

I've been in there a few times, and have never been disappointed. Of course, I'm vegan and I love vegan food that tastes good, and you have that.
My grandparents who I haven't seen in 4 years, "omnivores", came up today (saturday) to bring me some of my childhood memorabilia and we came to lunch there so that we could all eat our "kinds of food". My grandparents live in Coos Bay during the summer and Arizona during the weekend and eat out a lot, and my hard to impress grandpa said that his burrito was the best he had had in a very long time. My grandma agreed.
So, thanks for providing a place where we could all eat, and thanks for wowing them:)
Of course, I had your Thai Me Up burrito in a bowl form and was very satisfied... of course.

Pros: good food, impressed the hard to impress

Yummy burritos and bowls - Edit

I went here with my husband and we both love this place. I had the cuban bowl which was great and huge, I had enough left for another meal. It would be nice to have the option of a small order of this food but I understand this is not how restaurants make their money. Would definitely visit again.

Pros: large portions, friendly staff

Cons: large portions

beware - Edit

I feel it is necessary to say something about laughing planet cafe. I did not really ever ponder their prices until today. Ya sure the rice cheese awesome but... I bought a bean and cheese burrito. When you read the description for this burrito, it includes tillamook cheese. The cafe charges 4.25 for a burrito that includes the dairy cheese. The VEGAN version is 5.75
I called the cafe. The explaination went like this... The tillamook cheese is 75 cents. The burrito is 4.25 minus the 75 cents for not eating the dairy cheese. Therefore the vegan price is factored at 3.50 (the burrito price minus the real cheese) plus 2.25 for the rice cheese equals 5.75.
On top of the rice cheese (2.25) ...to vegan deluxe (add guac and vegan sour cream) is 2.50 This a total of 4.75 in upgrades to the 3.50 burrito. A total cost of 8.25 for the vegan. A non vegan pays a total of 6.50 for the same option. The burrito is 4.25 (which includes the dairy cheese) plus 2.25 for guac and dairy sour cream.

Yes, we have a special diet. We always end up paying more. This is a huge price difference. I feel the cafe is taking advantage of our dietary needs. Please just be aware of how much more a vegan ends up paying for a meal than a none vegan at the cafe.

Pros: rice cheese, fast, filling

Cons: vegan pricing

One of my favs - Edit

Burrito city. They have other stuff too, of course. What more can I say? This place is great. Not upscale, but clean, fast, and friendly. The prices are right, and I will probably be eating there next time I go out. No cons!

Pros: prices, food, location

Great Food - Edit

We are in Portland on vacation and needed a late night eatery, Laughing Planet was where we ended up. The black jack quesadilla with vegan rice cheese added was awesome. My boyf got the Che Guevera and was pleased as well. The prices are great we ate for under 20 bucks including and appetizer and a dessert cookie. The only "complaint" was that the pico de gallo had cilantro and we both hate cilantro, so if you also hate cilantro don't forget to ask for no pico (which i was smart enough to do but my boyf was not and suffered the cilantro-y consequences)

Pros: cheap, delicious, nice atmosphere

Cons: cilantro in the pico

so good! - Edit

i LOVE the fact that you can pick your favorite hot sauce! or, try em all and see which is your favorite! they had frank's red hot & i was happy. the che guevara was delicous, sweet potatoes & plantains in a burrito? delicious. great staff, nice outdoor seating, family-friendly. it was great, went a few times. also, REALLY good peanut butter chocolate brownie type cakes. oh and so affordable!

Pros: affordable & delicious, vegan deserts!, nice place, overall

Best cheap vegan eats in town - Edit

Even with the raised prices, their burritos are the cheapest in town that are wholesome to boot. The Che at $4.50 is unbeatable. They have vegan sourcream and cheese as well. I feel the one on Mississipii is better, however they don't have the salsa bar. The baked goods are a deal. You can sub tofu or tempeh for any meat. They have brown rice and whole wheat tortillas, with nutrional yeast at the counter to boot. They are many variations on burritos, I still miss raging buritto in atlanta though. Look for the daily specials as well.

Pros: Ecclectic burrittos, wholesome veggies, V meats, chees, sour crea

Cons: They serve meat, V. Deluxe burritos $7-8

good pseudo-Mexican food - Edit

We all love Laughing Planet, and most often eat at the one on Lovejoy and 21st. I always get the Nacho Mama, which is a perfect small lunch. My husband usually gets the Che Guevara burrito, and my son *always* gets a bean and cheese burrito. My daughter is less predictable. :-)

Pros: quick, good, simple food, good prices

Cons: crowded at lunchtime

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Laughing Planet Cafe - Belmont closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2841 times since Aug 2007.