Laughing Planet Cafe

• Veg-friendly
Contact 812-323-2233

322 E Kirkwood Ave, Bloomington, Indiana, USA, 47408

Serves meat, vegan options available. A casual eatery where the menu consists of mostly burritos and salads. Regular tortillas are not vegan but could request for vegan ones. Whole wheat tortillas by request. Tofu or seitan could be added (or as a substitute) to most dishes. Sometimes has vegan cookies and vegan soup.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by melissakayshelley

Never Disappointed - Edit

I've been eating here since moving to btown in 1998. I have enjoyed every trip - the food the people and the atmosphere are all great - very comfortable. Vegan options including house- made seitan. Happy to see a local burrito shop doing well despite the onslaught of corporate chains invading downtown. Emphasis on local ingredients in season.

Great burritos! - Edit

I've loved everything I've had here.

Ask for the vegan tortilla if you get a burrito.

The best deal is a bowl of veggie chili soup with cornbread ($4 and it's soooo filling). They always have veggie chili and hungarian mushroom, plus a soup of the day. Soups are *always* vegan.

I also like the rotating specials. These incorporate various seasonal flavors and local produce.

Pros: vegan sour cream! , Some very affordable options, Amazing salsas, avail. in large amounts

Cons: Have to ask for vegan tortillas, Specialty stuff is expensive

Excellent - Edit

Despite negative reviews, I really have enjoyed my two meals here. There are a variety vegetarian choices, and vegan options, if you specify. (Don't forget to ask for a whole wheat tortilla.)

I ordered the spinach and black bean burrito, a side salad with herb vinaigrette, and an Honest iced tea. It was all very yummy!

Pros: Good food, Quick, Nice vibe

Cons: Must specify vegan options, Must specify whole grain options

Not Good - Edit

Maybe I should have tried the burrito. Instead I opted for the steamed veggies, rice and beans bowl. The taste was "off." The rice was over cooked and the veggies did not taste fresh. The two guys behind the counter were disinterested.

Delicious! - Edit

Had the cuban burrito for lunch, a lovely combination of yams, black beans, plantains, and barbeque sauce. It was yummy. Lots of veg/vegan options (you have to specify that you need a vegan tortilla).

Pros: fast, yummy, good selection

Good food, conscious restaurant - Edit

I agree with the poster that says the Cuban burrito is good--it's my fav! I like it in the bowl, and it's a huge serving. I can't remember what my boyfriend had, but he loved it. He also had nachos (vegetarian, not vegan), and he absolutely adored them. The prices were good, especially because they opt for local and organic food. They also compost their waste, and they are responsible members of the community. Oh, and I think the decor is cute--minimalist, a little artsy, and college. I like it.

Also there is a coffee shop downstairs that's pretty artsy and cool, too. This is a really cool old building that they've divided up into shops and restaurants. Check it out for the originality, at least.

Pros: good food, good price, local, organic, community-driven

Cons: could be more veg friendly

Nice place and average food - Edit

I about 2 or 3 times at Laughing Planet. I liked the place itself, but I was always somewhat disappointed with the food. This is clearly a subjective opinion, but the food was just not too great to my taste.

Pros: atmosphere

Cons: food

feels so good - Edit

Anytime I want to feel really good about what I've eaten, I eat here. The food is fresh and healthy. They not only have several vegan and lacto-ovo vegetarian options, but they also have filtered water and other health-conscious choices. The service is fast, but I can sit and talk with folks for hours without a problem; in the summertime, the outdoor area is sublime. It's affordable. It's bike-inspired (the burritos allegedly fit in a bike bottle holder space), locally-owned, and my favorite casual restaurant in town. If you ask for the burrito in a bowl instead of a wrap, the portions are even bigger. Even though I can make this food at home, they offer lots of choices worth trying--prepared well and tastey. My favorite is the cuban-inspired burrito with plantains, sweet potatoes, black beans, and more.

Pros: healthy, affordable, environmental attitude

Cons: there are none

A Good Lunch Place. - Edit

They have a great lunch atmosphere, and pretty good food. They do, however, serve chicken. That wouldn't usually be a problem, except that a very small piece of it recently got mixed in with my daughter's corn.

I would mark this as a rare occasion though, and would overall recommend this restaurant as a great place for a vegan or vegetarian to get a meal.

Pros: A lively atmosphere, Very friendly staff, Tasty food

Cons: Not completely vegetarian, A little rundown, Limited menu

Return to Bloomington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Laughing Planet Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1874 times since Aug 2007.