First Review by ampallang

Horrible - Edit

The couple that started this establishment ran a fantastic (if somewhat disorganised) cafe, and I was excited to return at the beginning of the year. After paying for meals and drinks, my dining companion and I were directed to sit in the back room (which felt strangely like a large broom-closet) where we sat awkwardly opposite a table of people who continued to shoot unpleasant looks at us as though we were interrupting their private business meeting. The table vacated, and they continued chatting and laughing with other staff in the front room.

After around 15 minutes, I approached the receptionist who had taken our order to enquire about our drinks - which were in a fridge not two metres away - looking irritated, she said she would bring them to us shortly (even though we were clearly the only customers present). We asked for a refund, whereupon the owner demanded to know why and what the problem was (but did eventually provide a refund). It was clear to my dining companion and myself that the owners must have had no intention of maintaining the premises as a cafe; and that we would never again patronise such a venue (whether for accessories or catering purposes) that portrayed such disregard and disrespect towards their paying customers.

Cons: rude, contemptuous attitude towards customers, poor service

Not as good as I hoped - Edit

I've had lunch here a couple of times, and bought baked goods a few times. I wanted to love it, but can't quite get there.

Overall, I've found the lunches to be ok, certainly not bad, but nothing to get excited about. The hot chocolate I had one time was probably the worst vegan hot chocolate I've ever paid for, really weak and watery, and maybe I've just been unlucky, but I've found that each time I've had baked goods (I had a strawberry lime muffin once, and a brownie another time), they were rather dry and crumbly, and I know vegan baked goods can be better than that.

On the other hand, Vegan Style, the shoe shop that shares the same space, is fantastic, and it's great to be able to look at shoes while waiting for your food to arrive.

Pros: Attached to an awesome vegan shoe shop, Pretty cheap for a sit down lunch

Cons: Food isn't fantastic

Delish & excellent! - Edit

Don't be fooled by the lack of food in the windows! Go on in and you'll find the cafe is behind all the beautiful vegan shows and belts. Highly recommend the chicken schnitzel and cupcakes - amaaaaazing! Staff are so lovely and helpful and the atmosphere is cottage meets tranquil ambience. Meal size is generous and delicious - FIVE happy cows points!!

Pros: Served quickly, Food delicious, Friendly service

Simple and decent food - Edit

I'm enjoying the Las Vegan menu at the moment, as well as its dinner specials. The addition of pizzas to the menu a while ago has been a good thing in my opinion and I also enjoy being able to have what I think is the only vegan mac and cheese in a cafe in Melbourne. Given the limitations of vegan cheese substitutes it's pretty good all things considered. The Tex Mex items on the menu - quesadilla, burrito, etc - cant quite compete with the place up the road, but Las Vegan has a real grassroots vegan feel to it, with gatherings of animal rights types regularly happening. Plenty of vegan sweets too. I like taking home a brownie for later and I used to grab a muffin for morning tea almost every day when I worked in the neighbourhood. Unfortunately they're only open for dinner a couple of nights a week but good for a reasonably priced meal when they are.

Pros: Grassroots vegan cafe, Good brownies (and other desserts)

Generous Serve and Tasty! - Edit

The cafe has been renovated recently and looks good! I had the tofu and tempeh wrap and it was delicious - and they were happy to make adjustments. It was stuffed with so much tempeh - serve size was really great. Had also ordered a cake from them the day before (Jaffa Baci) - and everyone in my family LOVED it! The price of the cake was fantastic too! Have always had a good meal there! And its very cool that the Vegan Style shoe shop is there too. Keep up the great work guys!

Pros: Value for money, Tasty Food, Vegan shoes as well

Cons: Cold climate

Don't bother - Edit

The place looks run down and grungy. It needs a good clean.
The waitress was so unfriendly.
The food was below average. I'd rather stay at home that go back there.
There are amazing vegan restaurants all over Melbourne, no need to waste your time with this place.

Pros: Vegan

Cons: Service is terrible, Food was below average, Pleace needs a clean

great option - Edit

had the snitz & chips, which was the best vegan schnitzel i've ever eaten. my friend equally enjoyed her meal, and we shared a piece of cake that was delicious. las vegan is a must stop when in melbourne.

Wish I had a place like close to home - Edit

The place has a nice, small cafe feel to it. We came for dinner and got a smoky BBQ chicken pizza (a special), quesadilla, and chips with 3 dips. The pizza was fantastic and the quesadilla had everything you would want in it. Not having normal cheese it didn't stick together as quesadillas do so it was a bit messy, but didn't matter to me as it was delicious. The chips were absolutely perfect, with the skins on and nice and crispy. The dijonase sauce was my favorite. Haven't had any since going vegan many years ago and it was just like I remember. Ended it was a vanilla and strawberry cupcake which was a nice finish.

Pros: Friendly service, Good food, Options

great little place for lunch if you're in no hurry - Edit

Great food like vegan fush and chips which come in huge portions with plenty salad and great chips. The shop is quite small but has charm. Not the best service from the girl in the front but hey the food made up for that. Really want to go and try the breakfasts.

Pros: good portion sizes, good food

Cons: not good coffee and chai

Lovely small cafe - Edit

Las Vegan is a lovely small cafe/bakery. They have a big menu with obviously plenty to choose from for vegans. The staff is friendly, their dishes are very affordable. I've had a great vegan fish 'n chips there. I would really recommend this place if you visit Melbourne. They also have a lot of interestion reading material, and cupcakes!

Pros: Affordable, Excellent food, Friendly staff

Delicious :) - Edit

I tried a burrito and a muffin - both very delicious. The staff was very friendly and i will eat here again. Check the specials before you order - they are not in the menue.

Pros: Very delicious food, Friendly staff, Big portion

Cons: -, -, -

Love it! - Edit

Had a wonderful meal tonight as Las Vegan. We ordered the Sloppy Pete (yummy mince over chips) and nachos. Both were really good. Feel the need to rave about the nachos - they were awesome! The cakes were delectable too. This is a place I'll definitely want to come back to next time I'm in Melbourne.

Pros: delicious, great staff, great atmosphere

Bakery? - Edit

It wasn't really a bakery as I know it. I was expecting a variety of baked treats and such, but they only had brownies, muffins and some cupcakes. The muffin was quite good and I'm disappointed I wasn't able to get a brownie because I was too full. I wouldn't classify it as bakery, it's more of a cafe.

The food was really good, however they were out of some of the things I wanted to try.

The hours are a little strange and if you don't write them down you might end up at the door when it's closed. So double check the hours before you go.

All in all a good place and I will definitely go back when I return to Melbourne next month.

Pros: Nice Staff, Brownies!, good price

Cons: Strange hours, Can be out of some calzoni

lunch at las vegan! - Edit

We were nervous about heading over to Las Vegan since the new owners took over, but made the hike anyway.
With trepidation we sat outside, wanting to keep away from watchful eyes in case we were disappointed.
As soon as one of the owner's popped out, all smiles and warmth we knew we were in luck.
The new owners are lovely, the food is brilliant, and they've played around with specials that make me want to move closer so I could sneak off for my lunch breaks and devour calzones and raw cashew cream!!
Love it there.

Pros: great staff, delightful food, comfortable ambiance

real yum, real cheap, big meals - Edit

well pretty mcuh sums it up in my title, there's not much bad to say about this place. The meal sizes are HUGE and i always take an extra long lunch break just so i can chill out there. I hope soon they can do take away meals :)

muffins and cakes - Edit

vegans forget mains just go straight for the muffins. we have found it hard to find a good vegan cake in australia until we came here, nice moist and light.

Pros: muffins, muffins, muffins

A must visit for vegans - Edit

Loved that this little place was so friendly and cheerful and the food lovely and fresh. Enjoyed fresh juice and tasty burgers. Yes, definelty vegan heaven in vegan land (Smith Street). Had to walk and return to have the cupcakes!

Pros: Friendly, Fresh, Relaxed

Delicious!! - Edit

I'm lucky that this is my local! Great for vegans and non vegans alike, dishes are around $10 for a good feed, plus the cakes are delicious. Chai is on tap with free refills too! Service can be slow (which sucks when you're on a 45 minute lunch break) but the food is worth the wait.

Pros: Delicious food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: Often busy/full, Slower service

Return to Collingwood Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Las Vegan Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.