Las Iguanas

+44-1904521100

21 Back Swinegate, York, England

Serves meat, vegan options available. UK chain Latin American food restaurant and bar. Has labeled menu section for vegetarian and vegan food. Happy hour cocktails. Lively trendy atmosphere. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-11:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Categories: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Latin American, Non-veg

First Review by melarish

Cash in with the Cachaça - Edit

This is quite a recent addition to York's burgeoning restaurant culture. Most people who know York will remember it previously as where La Tasca used to be round the corner from El Piano. It's absolutely lovely inside with lots of great seating options. We didn't have food on this occasion but I know from visits to the Leeds and Newcastle branches it's decent. Not amazing, but decent. The purpose of this visit was simply to relax with a couple of solid Las Iguanas Caipirinhas. They're always buy one get one free here so yes you'll pay a crazy £8 but you do get 2. I'm not complaining. I'll have to rate it 3 happy cows purely on the basis that we didn't have food.

Pros: excellent location , pleasant interior & rooftop garden , vegan options on menu

Cons: meat served

lovely skewers - Edit

But they didn't need the haloumi. Would have been just as good with veggies only. Big portion as well. Great flavour!

Exotic tasty food! - Edit

People in my local vegan group were raving about Iguanas even before it opened, so naturally I had to go check it out. There aren't too many vegan options but the few it has, looked very promising. I really wanted to try the moqueca de palmitos (Brazilian curry) and it did not disappoint - very interesting flavour, it looks like a Thai curry but tastes very different. My partner had the veggie chili (the mushroom fajita wasn't available) which he liked but I thought was slightly too sour. Portion sizes were generous; I had half of mine for lunch the next day.

Then we had the coconut dessert (there's actually a selection of vegan desserts which is cool) and both thought it was yummy. It's a bit like a panna cotta but even nicer texture. We also had long island cocktails which were 2 for 1.

The staff were friendly and helpful. One of them discussed Miyazaki films with us (I was wearing my Tofuro t-shirt) :D

All in all, if you're looking for new flavours, definitely a place to go. But as with all omni places, the vegan selection is small.

Pros: moqueca curry, coconut dessert, cocktails

Cons: nothing really to have for starter

Return to York Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Las Iguanas closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.