Las Iguanas

Finlay House, 15-20 W Nile St, Glasgow, Scotland, G1 2PW

Serves meat, vegan options available. UK chain Latin American food restaurant and bar. Has labeled menu section for vegetarian and vegan food. Open Mon-Thu 12:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-11:30pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Categories: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Latin American, Non-veg

First Review by xJasperx

Great experience - Edit

Visited for the first time last week and wasn't disappointed! They have a separate vegetarian menu which you are offered straight away, the menu clearly states what can be made vegan and the staff seem to be really clued up on the menu/ kitchen and what is vegan friendly which is nice! I had the portobello mushroom fajitas which were really really good!

Pros: vegetarian/vegan friendly , good portion sizes

Mexican chain restaurant - Edit

I've been there twice now, first time I had the Moqueca de Palmitos, some sort of sweet curry with rice, it was nice and quite unusual coconut, plantain combo, quite sweet. This time I opted for three mushroom fajitas, it was very tasty too, generous portions so you won't leave hungry.
The veggie menu is quite big, service good and quick, the place itself has a cosy atmosphere, the location is handy as it's only couple of minutes from the Central Station.
They do very good deals, it's worth to search online for a deal but some are also available in the restaurant, set menus, two for one burritos on Tuesday (it turned out fajitas counted as a part of this deal), so it makes it an excellent value for money.

Update:
I went yesterday and had a mediocre starter of a gloopy guacamole, mediocre tasting pint of Becks (wasn't quite off but not too clean tasting either), for main I had the plantain dish again and it was edible but not tasty enough to say that it was good.
It was all very bland, salsa tasted like it was made three days ago.
Also when I asked for the coconut sprinkles that come with the dish I was told they're not vegan but when I ordered it first time asking for vegan option I got it served to me. I won't be coming back unless there is nothing else around and I'm starving.

Pros: Separate veggie menu, Good deals, Central location

Cons: Serves meat

Amazing dessert - Edit

I've been here a couple of times and I love the decor of warm colours, and it's one of the rare places you can get a menu with clearly labelled vegan options but you can also take friends/ family /work colleagues along who refuse to go to a fully veggie place. I specifically chose to visit here on an evening because they'd had a menu change and there were new vegan options I had yet to sample.

I like that you're asked on arrival if there is someone vegetarian, vegan, or glutenfree in your party (no secret vegan menu - there is no customer in the world anywhere who likes secret vegan menus) and you are given a menu with clear codes as to which dishes are suitable for your dietary requirements. The server introduced herself by name and that we could call on her if we needed anything. It had a nice air of formality but still in a comfortably casual environment.

As it was around 6.15pm the lunch menu was still on - a starter and a main for £8.90 (if I remember correctly) up until 6.30pm. I really wanted a dessert, and none of the starters really appealed to me - not a huge fan of sweetcorn, and by the time you remove the cheese and sour cream from the nachos it doesn't leave much and the squash taco sounded too similar to the main I would have chosen - so I just opted for a main from the regular menu. I deliberately chose one that wasn't included on the lunchtime deal menu to kind of justify not going for the lunch deal!

I opted for a coconut curry - the Bahia Moqueca. I was brought over a dish that looked a bit like a plantpot, which another dish - that looked like a cross between a plantpot and a frying pan - sat on and contained my curry. I got a bit confused as to what I was meant to do with it. I started forking some veg on to my plate of rice, then after a minute or so of eating I decided just to pick up the whole thing of curry, and ended up pouring sauce into my pot of coconut farofa. I also found it less sweeter than I would have liked it. It was nice to try it, but at £10.95 and a bit of faffing around I might just go for one of the salads next time, or the chilli con verduras.

I fancied a beer and as the volume size of the bottles were not indicated on the drinks menu I'd asked about one of the beers, and if it was 330ml or 500ml? A big one or a small one? It was £4.60 and if I'm paying that I want a 500ml bottle. The server didn't really seem too sure The server didn't really seem too sure at first then said it was just under a pint, so I ordered it and it was 330ml. That was a bit annoying, I think they really should display drink sizes on their menu. I've been getting right into craft beers and I think I've just come to expect this as the norm!

The Tembleque was fabulous! Very sweet and the flavours of the mango puree and mixed berries complemented the pudding's sweetness well. A nice change from a sorbet or chocolate brownie. I'd order that again.

Pros: Delicious dessert, Comfortable atmosphere, Clear menu

Cons: A bit pricey

Three mushroom fajita - Edit

I have been to several Las Iguanas so far, and usually the staff offers you the option of a vegan menu straight away. If they don't, just ask for it.

Being a big fan of both Mexican food and mushrooms, I love that the three mushroom fajita is available as a vegan dish.

Pros: Separate vegan/veggie menu

Cons: Serves meat

Return to Glasgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Las Iguanas closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.