Langano Skies

Contact 780-432-3334

Whyte Ave (at 99th St), Edmonton, Alberta, Canada,

Serves meat, vegan options available. As with all Ethiopian restaurant, menu includes vegan items. Nice atmosphere, family friendly. Re-opened Jan 2013.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by mkaw

Pretty average - Edit

I was much less excited about this place than the other reviewers. Having had Ethiopian food in numerous other cities before, I knew what I was in for, but frankly, I didnt think it was very good. There were only four vegan options, and one seemed to me like tomato paste. The other two were serviceable, but hardly special. I have had much better and more flavourful Ethiopian vegan food. Little variety. Did not like that there were no dishes with lots of veggies. All the vegan dishes were lentil variants or tomato paste. Not for me thanks...

Pros: Pricey

The food is amazing - Edit

Veg friendly and is delicious, hubby says the meat is great too (if you have meat eaters in your party.) Great for groups. You order the dishes you want and they bring them all out on one big tray. They will separate meat from veg if asked. Don't be scared by the greyish bread, it's amazing. And be prepared to be friendly ridiculed if you ask for cutlery ;)

Pros: Food is outstanding, Fair prices, Friendly staff

Cons: it's a bit rich, so don't over do it

Something different and exciting! - Edit

I love this place. I try to take people here as something completely new and rip them out of their comfort zone. You don't use utensils here, only hands. So make sure they are clean.

All the food looks like weird spicy mush but tastes like heaven. My 88 year old Grandma was terrified of it but enjoyed it anyways.

The menu can be a bit confusing to pronounce and I'm sure the waiters/waitresses laugh at you when you say it wrong but that's part of the fun. Try the Ater Kik Aletcha Wot. My fav.

Make sure to be very obvious when you arrive and they don't seat you soonish if you don't have reservations. We've been overlooked before (a few times) and had to wait while people that arrived after us were seated first without reservations.

Pros: Great for sharing, Very filling, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Sometimes slow service, Can get very busy

Very vegan friendly - Edit

In response to the above review:

The only vegetarian main dish cooked with butter is the vegetable tibs, which you can request cooked with oil. The iyeb (Ethiopian cheese) that comes with the gomen wot is on the side and the dish can be ordered without it. The other vegetarian dishes are vegan as is. Which gives you seven options to choose from - a lot more than I'm used to being able to pick from!

In terms of appetizers, the veggie and lentil sambusas are good, the katenga can be done with oil instead of butter, and I am sure you could get the foul (pronounced fool) without cheese.

It's delicious food and the family that runs the place is amazing. Plus there is a wicked beer selection, and who doesn't love that?

Pros: Veg friendly, Good value, Delicious

Cons: Some dishes spicy (if that's an issue)

Tasty and healthy - Edit

The last Tuesday of every month is Vegetarian Vibrations Buffet. The items on the buffet may or may not be vegan. They contain no obvious dairy or eggs but may be cooked in butter. The regular menu identifies several dishes as vegan. Patrons may request that some additional dishes be cooked without butter (ie vegan). This is my favorite restaurant. I'e been going to the buffet every month for a year and a half. The service, though friendly, can be slow at times. Nevertheless, the food is amazing.

Pros: Excellent food, healthy cuisine

Return to Edmonton Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Langano Skies closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.