Lamai Veggie

Contact 0897232061

138/14 Moo 4 Maret, Lamai Beach, Koh Samui, Thailand, 84310

Restaurant on Had Lamai 4, which is thought of as an unnamed street, a little north of the gas station and morning market (same side of the street). Sometimes offer a buffet consisting of a couple dishes and a soup. Has a menu other times which includes Thai dishes with mock meat options. Removed honey in 2016. Open Mon-Sat 8:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Thai

First Review by AkashaBertozzi

I love it! - Edit

This cafe is one on my favorite places. The owner, her name in Bee, the person with a big heart. Its very cheap and at he same time it very clean and cozy cafe.
The meny changes every day. On Feb 2017 standart set costs 80 baht

Cons: Inexpensive

Favourite vegan place - Edit

Khun Bee, the owner and chef of this place, is a fantastic lady: I know her for 1+ year and happy to see how sincere, positive, open and kind she is. Not often you can find such a nice person anywhere, not in Thailand only.

Sometimes she's getting very tired or has some urgent deals — that's why she can "unexpectedly" close her place (earlier during the day or for a day) but it's not her fault, it's her reality of working alone for many-many years. On iriiiss's comment about Lamai Veggie been closed for two weeks: it was due to a very serious reason and nothing else.

Cuisine is Thai but not like in any other Thai places: it's not only because of adding organic vegs/greens, special healthy additions (goji, sesame seeds, etc) and not using MSG but also because Bee cooks from her heart. Menu is small (actually it's nonexistent as only standard sets are available) but okay for your everyday lunch. I've eaten here dozens(!) of times. The food is always(!) amazing and the owner is always welcoming.

TL;DR: MUST VISIT for every vegan coming to Samui (especially, Lamai).

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-21

Pros: amazing food, amazing owner, low price

Cons: can be randomly closed (happens rarely)

Dissapointment - Edit

Place was closed almost two weeks and when we finally got to try this praised restaurant, we had to dissapoint. Went there for lunch but the portion we got was small, rice was oily and the curries were tasteless. The selection was small too. Kombucha was good but we have never got that small bottles here in Thailand. Sad to say but this was probably the worst experiece during our one month stay in Samui.

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Small portions, Too oily , Small selection

My Favorite place - Edit

My favorite Jay/Vegan place on the island, has a 80bhat set menu that you can add mock meats to - Sausages are my favorites.
One of the few places on the island you can get Kombucha. Also has amazing desserts.
Not crazy western prices

Pros: Good prices, Lovely staff, Yummy food

Cons: Can close early if sold out

Good food, good vibes, almost all vegan - Edit

Lamai Veggie typically serves daily set meals plus optional extras (e.g. mock meats, kombucha for 50 baht, and desserts). The set meals themselves are quite inexpensive, but the extras can add up quickly.

Almost everything Bee serves is plant-based, but vegans should take note that Bee sometimes offers non-vegan desserts (made by someone outside, not Bee herself) that include honey. These desserts typically have little cards on which the ingredients are listed, so it's easy to know which ones are vegan by reading the ingredients.

Enjoy!

Pros: Set menu is very inexpensive, mostly vegan, friendly

Cons: Extras can be pricey

TOP vegan choice on lamai beach! - Edit

Big lunchbox for 80 Bt is a great choice when you are hungry! Different food every day. Take away possible! No MSG! Really really good food.
One day/week closed (not fixed)

Pros: no Farang prices, really really good food, take away possible

Cons: none

Must visit! - Edit

Bea is so friendly and happy, she's very informative and talkative, speaks in great English. She has a lot of tourist customers so she has the same dishes prepared with different levels of spiciness. Ours was just perfect! Not too spicy like the other vegan restaurant we went to. I had kombucha (70 baht) with the full rice meal (80 baht) and we bought the noodle packs (1 baht) and some mock meats to take back to our kitchen. We want to go back to visit for sure!

Pros: Delicious , Nice selection of cooked and take away , Inexpensive

Excellent food - Edit

This place is awesome and cute. We went there for lunch a few days ago. The woman running the place is very friendly and explained her one-dish brown rice policy to us. It was very delicious, healthy and cheap (50b). Serving size could be bigger but I guess one would need to pay more than. Unfortunately we could not go a second time as she closed the restaurant for one month or so to go to India and learn meditation.

Pros: Healthy, 100% vegan, delicious, cheap, English spe

Cons: one dish only

happy place - Edit

If you stay awhile in Lamai and eat here more than once, it's impossible not to become friends with the restaurant's sole owner/ operator, Bee. The cute, cartoon bee on the sign out the front reflects here bright personality, buzzing energy, and perhaps the sting in her tail! Bee is an awesome, strong woman and I really appreciated all our chats.

She runs the restaurant on her own so, yes, if you arrive and she's out the back cooking, you might wait a while to be served. Relax! You're on an island in Thailand, what's the hurry? If you're really hungry, grab yourself a bag of crunchy, sweet and sour, dried soya chunks with lime leaves from the counter as an appetiser. They're packaged to go along with a range of fake sausages and burgers made in house which pack a protein punch on long bus rides, so stock up if you're moving on. There's quite a range of other vegan grocery items. I bought a couple of Thai spice powders and pastes to take home as a reminder of my trip and meals eaten at Lamai Veggie.

I spent over a week in Lamai and lost count of the number of times I ate here. Every time I intended to try something cooked to order from the menu, particularly the papaya salad, but always ended up tempted by the daily set menu. Don't expect an all-you-can-eat buffet style - the image above of a customer serving herself could be misleading. A bowl of brown rice (which in Thailand is actually red/purple) with two dishes will be brought to your table. For 50 baht, I always found it a nicely filling lunch.

Any inconsistency in the opening hours could be because Bee cooks a load of extra food on the days when Thai Buddhists eat vegetarian (perhaps the 1st and 15th of the lunar calendar, like in Vietnam?) and then takes the following day off.

Looking forward to visiting again some day.

Pros: brown rice, healthy food

Cons: not open for dinner

Amazing Food And A Great Atmosphere! - Edit

Delicious food, the owner is lovely and speak good English, very cheap. The 'vinegarish' tea that someone spoke about earlier is kombucha tea and it's absolutely delicious and nutrient rich. Bee the owner is very helpful and wrote me a paragraph explaining what I eat for others. I'm now a regular... :)

Pros: Delicious Food, Cheap, Vegan

Cons: None!!!

amazing and simple! - Edit

it's 50 baht for an amazing plate of food. the menu changes everyday so you get whatever she's cooking that day. it was AMAZING. such simple dishes just loaded with flavor. we added the extra soup for 30 baht also it was a hearty stew. really delicious. I also loaded up on the spicy soya meat sticks. I'm addicted to them now. if you ever liked a slim jim or a morning sausage get these for sure!

Pros: simple and delicious

Simple and honest food - Edit

A small, very nice restaurant. The owner clearly puts a lot of effort into her establishment, and rightly so.

When we (me, my wife and 3 year old daughter) ate, there was only a set menu; soup and then noodles. And only a very vinegary tea to drink. The food was really nice, but the tea was an acquired taste, to say the least.

All things considered though, we'd eat there again.

We tried to eat here twice; the times listed online are likely wrong; it was closed on a Sunday at 3:30, but open the following Monday at 12:30.

If you're worried about trying to find it, the map location is bang on.

Pros: cheap, tasty

Cons: limited selectionc some days

Ok food but beware on bill - Edit

The food is ok. Owner was nice until the last time I went.

Last time I went I got a quite small portion. The owner sat down to talk to me. Then she asks if I want some more. I was not that hungry but accepted as she was so friendly. Afterwards, however, she charged me double.

She charged me for two meals even though she offered me more as if it was a free refill. That has never happened to me before, that someone in a restaurant asks if I want more and then charges me for it afterwards (and without saying so before). I was so surprised when I paid, that I did not protest.

I never came back as most restaurants can make you vegetarian/vegan food if you ask.

Pros: not so spicy, nice furniture etc

Cons: prices are not clear, veggie burgers not that good

Wonderful Vegan food! - Edit

All vegan - food is incredible and the owner is super friendly and cooks everything herself. It's really cheap (like 50baht a meal and the takeaway buffet - one or two options - is 30baht). It's a little hard to find, the map on here is wrong but it's totally worth it! Also sells lots of lovely vegan treats we had deep fried crunchy soy beans with sweet and sour sticky sauce!

Nice little place - Edit

We enjoyed eating here on a few occasions. As others have said the owner is very friendly and you have the option between menu and pre-made food. It's a little more expensive than standard thai vegetarian places but it definitely caters better for tourists and is right by the beach. Definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Good food, Friendly owner, Convenient location by beach

Cons: Little more expensive (still cheap!)

Return to Koh Samui Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lamai Veggie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.