Lamai Veggie

Contact 0897232061

138/14 Moo 4 Maret Lamai Beach (at Had Lamai 4), Koh Samui, Thailand, 84310

Fully vegan; no longer using honey as of Aug 2016. Restaurant on Had Lamai 4, which is thought of as an unnamed street, a little north of the gas station and morning market (same side of the street). Sometimes offer a buffet consisting of a couple dishes and a soup. Has a menu other times which includes Thai dishes with mock meat options. Open Mon-Sat 8:00am-4:00pm. Sometimes closes early if food is sold out.

Category: Vegan, Thai

First Review by AkashaBertozzi

Dissapointment - Edit

Place was closed almost two weeks and when we finally got to try this praised restaurant, we had to dissapoint. Went there for lunch but the portion we got was small, rice was oily and the curries were tasteless. The selection was small too. Kombucha was good but we have never got that small bottles here in Thailand. Sad to say but this was probably the worst experiece during our one month stay in Samui.

Pros: All vegan

Cons: Small portions, Too oily , Small selection

My Favorite place - Edit

My favorite Jay/Vegan place on the island, has a 80bhat set menu that you can add mock meats to - Sausages are my favorites.
One of the few places on the island you can get Kombucha. Also has amazing desserts.
Not crazy western prices

Pros: Good prices, Lovely staff, Yummy food

Cons: Can close early if sold out

Good food, good vibes, almost all vegan - Edit

Lamai Veggie typically serves daily set meals plus optional extras (e.g. mock meats, kombucha for 50 baht, and desserts). The set meals themselves are quite inexpensive, but the extras can add up quickly.

Almost everything Bee serves is plant-based, but vegans should take note that Bee sometimes offers non-vegan desserts (made by someone outside, not Bee herself) that include honey. These desserts typically have little cards on which the ingredients are listed, so it's easy to know which ones are vegan by reading the ingredients.

Enjoy!

Pros: Set menu is very inexpensive, mostly vegan, friendly

Cons: Extras can be pricey

TOP vegan choice on lamai beach! - Edit

Big lunchbox for 80 Bt is a great choice when you are hungry! Different food every day. Take away possible! No MSG! Really really good food.
One day/week closed (not fixed)

Pros: no Farang prices, really really good food, take away possible

Cons: none

Must visit! - Edit

Bea is so friendly and happy, she's very informative and talkative, speaks in great English. She has a lot of tourist customers so she has the same dishes prepared with different levels of spiciness. Ours was just perfect! Not too spicy like the other vegan restaurant we went to. I had kombucha (70 baht) with the full rice meal (80 baht) and we bought the noodle packs (1 baht) and some mock meats to take back to our kitchen. We want to go back to visit for sure!

Pros: Delicious , Nice selection of cooked and take away , Inexpensive

Excellent food - Edit

This place is awesome and cute. We went there for lunch a few days ago. The woman running the place is very friendly and explained her one-dish brown rice policy to us. It was very delicious, healthy and cheap (50b). Serving size could be bigger but I guess one would need to pay more than. Unfortunately we could not go a second time as she closed the restaurant for one month or so to go to India and learn meditation.

Pros: Healthy, 100% vegan, delicious, cheap, English spe

Cons: one dish only

happy place - Edit

If you stay awhile in Lamai and eat here more than once, it's impossible not to become friends with the restaurant's sole owner/ operator, Bee. The cute, cartoon bee on the sign out the front reflects here bright personality, buzzing energy, and perhaps the sting in her tail! Bee is an awesome, strong woman and I really appreciated all our chats.

She runs the restaurant on her own so, yes, if you arrive and she's out the back cooking, you might wait a while to be served. Relax! You're on an island in Thailand, what's the hurry? If you're really hungry, grab yourself a bag of crunchy, sweet and sour, dried soya chunks with lime leaves from the counter as an appetiser. They're packaged to go along with a range of fake sausages and burgers made in house which pack a protein punch on long bus rides, so stock up if you're moving on. There's quite a range of other vegan grocery items. I bought a couple of Thai spice powders and pastes to take home as a reminder of my trip and meals eaten at Lamai Veggie.

I spent over a week in Lamai and lost count of the number of times I ate here. Every time I intended to try something cooked to order from the menu, particularly the papaya salad, but always ended up tempted by the daily set menu. Don't expect an all-you-can-eat buffet style - the image above of a customer serving herself could be misleading. A bowl of brown rice (which in Thailand is actually red/purple) with two dishes will be brought to your table. For 50 baht, I always found it a nicely filling lunch.

Any inconsistency in the opening hours could be because Bee cooks a load of extra food on the days when Thai Buddhists eat vegetarian (perhaps the 1st and 15th of the lunar calendar, like in Vietnam?) and then takes the following day off.

Looking forward to visiting again some day.

Pros: brown rice, healthy food

Cons: not open for dinner

Amazing Food And A Great Atmosphere! - Edit

Delicious food, the owner is lovely and speak good English, very cheap. The 'vinegarish' tea that someone spoke about earlier is kombucha tea and it's absolutely delicious and nutrient rich. Bee the owner is very helpful and wrote me a paragraph explaining what I eat for others. I'm now a regular... :)

Pros: Delicious Food, Cheap, Vegan

Cons: None!!!

amazing and simple! - Edit

it's 50 baht for an amazing plate of food. the menu changes everyday so you get whatever she's cooking that day. it was AMAZING. such simple dishes just loaded with flavor. we added the extra soup for 30 baht also it was a hearty stew. really delicious. I also loaded up on the spicy soya meat sticks. I'm addicted to them now. if you ever liked a slim jim or a morning sausage get these for sure!

Pros: simple and delicious

Simple and honest food - Edit

A small, very nice restaurant. The owner clearly puts a lot of effort into her establishment, and rightly so.

When we (me, my wife and 3 year old daughter) ate, there was only a set menu; soup and then noodles. And only a very vinegary tea to drink. The food was really nice, but the tea was an acquired taste, to say the least.

All things considered though, we'd eat there again.

We tried to eat here twice; the times listed online are likely wrong; it was closed on a Sunday at 3:30, but open the following Monday at 12:30.

If you're worried about trying to find it, the map location is bang on.

Pros: cheap, tasty

Cons: limited selectionc some days

Ok food but beware on bill - Edit

The food is ok. Owner was nice until the last time I went.

Last time I went I got a quite small portion. The owner sat down to talk to me. Then she asks if I want some more. I was not that hungry but accepted as she was so friendly. Afterwards, however, she charged me double.

She charged me for two meals even though she offered me more as if it was a free refill. That has never happened to me before, that someone in a restaurant asks if I want more and then charges me for it afterwards (and without saying so before). I was so surprised when I paid, that I did not protest.

I never came back as most restaurants can make you vegetarian/vegan food if you ask.

Pros: not so spicy, nice furniture etc

Cons: prices are not clear, veggie burgers not that good

Wonderful Vegan food! - Edit

All vegan - food is incredible and the owner is super friendly and cooks everything herself. It's really cheap (like 50baht a meal and the takeaway buffet - one or two options - is 30baht). It's a little hard to find, the map on here is wrong but it's totally worth it! Also sells lots of lovely vegan treats we had deep fried crunchy soy beans with sweet and sour sticky sauce!

Nice little place - Edit

We enjoyed eating here on a few occasions. As others have said the owner is very friendly and you have the option between menu and pre-made food. It's a little more expensive than standard thai vegetarian places but it definitely caters better for tourists and is right by the beach. Definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Good food, Friendly owner, Convenient location by beach

Cons: Little more expensive (still cheap!)

Great food and very friendly owner - Edit

It's a very nice little restaurant with plenty of options - all vegan. The owner, Bee is very friendly and has been vegan for 7 years. Inexpensive, good choices and tasty!

Pros: many options, good quality food, inexpensive

Cons: portions a bit smaller than other places

Great experience at Veggie Lamai - Edit

A bit tough to find. As you enter Lamai the street you are looking for is on the side of the road where the ocean would be. Between a larger gas station and an apparently unnamed food market with a structure above it. It was not easy to find a local who knew where we were asking directions to. As you turn down the street look to the right several stall down from the market, on the same side....look for a circular red and yellow sign. Bee was great to me. We had conversation about veg nutrition and veganism. We talked about elephant conservation and the increase in pet and stray animal care on the Island. She made me a huge pile of veggies because after all the noodles and rice I had I just wanted vegetables. She took pictures with me and a patron wrote in Thai for me a paper that said that essentially 'no animal products' and they taught me how to properly ask for that (chan gin j....phonetically). Food was great, she was great. ..well worth the frustration to find amongst the sea of dress shops and regular food stands. Also Bee speaks English so no worries about that if you didn't brush up on your Thai before you came :)

Pros: excellent healthy food, great locals contact with like minded people, good value

Cons: hard to find

Very tasty - Edit

Hi! I spend much time in Lamai each year and even if iam not a "full time" vegetarian i visit Lamai veggie a few times/week. Its very cheap dishes and wonderfull settings on the plates Bee, the owner, manage to do for that low price.I dont think any meal from the menu cost more then 80 baht?!And the 3-4 pots with already cooked food you can take away is only 30 Baht-Cant be better :-). Someone wrote that she didnt smile but i have the opposite experience. She actually sit down and chat very much with the customers that been there during my 50-70 visits:-).Overall she is charming lady but it can sometimes be stressfull when guests arrive at the same time she is out in the kitchen.I think the best solution is patiente.Its a small resturant but i think she runs it more then well and as i said before the food is very yummi.

Peace from cold Europe

HAppy Cow, but sad people. - Edit

I was lucky to find the restaurant empty so I was able to order and eat within a decent amount of time. But if the lady is busy cooking you have to wait her for order and make your food since there is only one person working there.
I tryed the Veggi Burger 70bhat. The bread was huge for a burger and the soy-meat was very small. so most of the bites where just bread only. had to buy 2 extra sausage to eat with the bread. at the end I was charged more for the burger 80bha: often in thailand they mistake in the bill but somehow always charging more. anyway..over all the place is ok. but the lady was alone and she was quite stressed (at least when i have been there) she didnt smile at all.
I have been back again and the owner was busy cooking far back in the kitchen, she couldnot listen to me. so had to wait 10 minutes for just take-away already-made food.
the already-made food is all spicy (basically for thai people) so if you want a non spicy you have to order a la carte.

Pros: Veg food, good position near market

Cons: Long time waiting, not so happy place/ not so friendly, wester veg food need improvement

Bon p'tit restaurant vegetarien à Lamai - Edit

Je vous conseille vivement ce restaurant végétarien ou vous
pouvez déguster différents plats à base de soja, riz et légumes. Bee vous préparera ces petits plats plus ou moins pimentés selon vos souhaits.En tout cas vous y serez bien accueillis.

Pros: excellent plats, bon rapport qualité prix, acceuil sympathique et convivial

great find!! - Edit

While this little shop doesn't have a huge menu, it's a great find considering the limitations in the area. The owner is very nice and speaks good English. I had a masaman curry which I was very happy with. On Buddhist holidays (and maybe other occasions) there are some set dishes offered. You can get that for only 25baht takeaway. Very reasonable prices.

Pros: All Vegan, Nice owner, good food

Return to Koh Samui Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lamai Veggie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6375 times since Nov 2011.