REMOVED: Lakeland Pedlar Wholefood Cafe

• Vegetarian

Contact 017687-74492

Hendersons Yard, Bell Close, Cumbria, Keswick, England,

wholefood cafe and bicycle center. Cafe by day and restaurant by night. Homemade bread, cakes, pizzas, spicy chilli, and more. World cuisine in evenings. Also open late evenings during the main school holidays and for gourmet and specialty evenings. Removed as this cafe no longer offers veg options.

Category: International, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by marcstevens

Lakeland Pedlar Wholefood Cafe - Edit

Excellent restaurant with a good variety of dishes - some of which we have tried to copy at home. Very busy and popular locally - although my wife and I were only tourists passing through. On our way back into the area, we made a point of returning for lunch. Unfortunately it does not open in the evenings. The prices were very moderate. There is parking in the square outside the restaurant and disabled parking just in front of the restaurant.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Moderate prices

Cons: Not open in the evenings

Good portions overcome price concerns - Edit

Wholesome veggie/vegan cafe and bar which was nice and full on a weekday lunchtime visited with family and non-veggie friends. Very tasty and chunky chilli with nachos filled me right up, wife had beany burger, daughter loved the soup and boy had beans on toast (again!). Friends tucked in to similar fare and no complaints from them. I was initially sceptical about price points for main meals but the portion sizes swayed me a little. We all had cakes, ice cream or, in my case, a huge portion of crumble afterwards and needed a very good walk to burn it all off. Well worth a visit for the discerning vegan.

Pros: Good choice of food, Big portions, Nice cakes and puds

Cons: Slightly expensive

Really tasty wholesome home made food - Edit

Although not vegetarians we really wanted the Lakeland Pedlar to cater for our wedding. The buffet spread was fab and generous. A lot of different choices, including great flans, stuffed tomatoes, home baked rolls, delicious home baked savoury scones, mini humours wraps, the list goes on. Not forgetting the salds which were much more than your average salad and a whole lot more tasty. Highly recommend and such a friendly helpful service.

Pros: Great choice, Fresh and tasty, Home made

Friendly and good food - Edit

As soon as I'd planned another trip to Keswick I knew where we'd be having lunch!

We ate at the Lakeland Pedlar a couple of years back. I had a lovely vegan lasagne - good serving size (not small but not so much you leave half of it!), very tasty, plus friendly staff who were really good at checking ingredients for me as I'm vegan and have nut and sesame seed allergies.

So we came back last week on a busy day during Easter holidays. Even at around 2:30pm - so after main lunch time - it was still very busy. We were lucky to arrive when we did and get a table straight away as a few minutes later the place was full.

The popularity is definitely understandable. The atmosphere is chilled, with the light brown colours of the furniture and there's a fair bit of space, though it can feel a bit cramped at really busy times.

Staff were again very friendly and helpful. As usual, I explained my allergies at the start. This time, however, when my meal arrived (green lentil Shepard's Pie), there were pine nuts in the salad. The staff were very apologetic and replaced the salad quickly with a nut-free one.

The Shepard's Pie was lovely, very tasty and again a good portion. The side salad with couscous was good too and added to the meal, and wasn't just the usual couple of lettuce leaves that a lot of side salads consist of.

Everyone else I was with had the soup of the day (broccoli and sweet potato) with homemade bread, which they all agreed was great with lovely flavours and good texture. Again, good portions of good food.

There's a fairly extensive range of options, many of which are vegan-friendly. They have soya milk and as well as vegan mains I spotted some vegan desserts, including soya ice cream and a couple of the specials for the day (such as fruit crumble). Vegan options on the specials board were marked as such. Also noticed gluten free options were marked, too, which is useful.

Prices aren't too high - it was about £25 for four of us having a meal and a drink.

I wanted to give five stars but the nuts in the salad when I'd specified none sadly means four, as it was really important for it to be nut-free.

Still, I'd definitely recommend trying out The Lakeland Pedlar and I'll be back next time I'm in Keswick.

Pros: Tasty food, Good portion sizes, Very friendly

Cons: Nuts in salad when specified none, Can get very crowded so may have to wait

One of my favourites :-) - Edit

The Lakeland Pedlar is one of my favourite restaurants and I'm not even a vegetarian. My grandmother lives in the Lakes so whenever I am in England visiting her, I always make sure to visit Keswick to get my Peddlar fix.

The place has a great, relaxed, family atmosphere and the staff are friendly and helpful. The food is very tasty and comforting and there is a daily specials board which always has a wide variety to choose from. I've had amazing veggie chilli, curry, and lentil & mushroom veggie bake (and deserts too - the white chocolate and raspberry cake is amazing) at the Pedlar and pretty much go there every time I'm in the area. It's great that they have vegan and gluten free options too, which are all clearly marked, as my mom can't have gluten so she can actually have a good meal out when she's in the area too.

Would highly recommend this restaurant, nothing but good things :-)

Pros: Great food, Varied dishes, Friendly staff

Cons: Sometimes it gets very busy..., ...so the waiting time is too long :-(

Extra Special - Edit

For years The Pedlar has been my favourite Cafe EVER. I am a vegan and I also can't eat wheat or gluten and the Pedlar have brilliant labelling on all thier menus/boards and loads of options for me including gluten free bread - I love nothing more than to sit in the welcoming cafe after a hard day's walking with my soup and a sandwhich!
I have also been a raw vegan at times and even then the Pedlar had the most lovely salad on the menu. I love eating there because I don't feel weird!

Even more special than usual though...
Last week my family and I spent a week in Keswick to celebrate my Dad's 60th. His favourite carrot cake in the world (and he's tried a few!) is the Pedlar's so I had rung ahead a week before to ask if there was any way they could arrange for a whole carrot cake to be put aside as a birthday cake for my Dad. They also phoned me back to say would I like a table booked so that we didn't have to wait and then on the day they were wonderful, they bought out the cake, complete with candles and singing happy birthday and made my Dad's day. Later in the week we were recognised and given a friendly greeting every time.

In my opinion, the staff at the Pedlar couldn't have been more friendly and helpful and the food couldn't be better. I love the Pedlar!

Mediocre fare - Edit

Acceptable veggie food in the heart of Keswick pretty much says it all. If you crave a veggie breakfast (before 11AM cut-off point) it's just about worth the trek. Dishes define the word average, uninspired and lacking in flavour. Ingredients seem to be basic supermarket fare (no-frills beans anyone?) Service can be slow.

Pros: Location

Cons: Service, Average food

Good food - Edit

Popular place, busy place in summer. Open till 9 pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the summer. Menu has burritos, salads, sandwiches. Soup-of-the-day is always vegan. Delicious vegan ice cream. Children's menu. All beers are vegan and organic, some from the brewery in town.

Pros: wide menu, vegan soups, good portions

Not as good as it used to be - Edit

I don't know what is happening to Pedlars. I have been going here for about 9 or 10 years, and used to love it. There isn't really another option in Keswick (other than the chip shop), and perhaps that is why this cafe has become so complacent. It is not very friendly anymore. On our last visit last week, as we arrived at 4.10 on a summers afternoon, the first words were 'We're not serving food.' No hello, or anything, and why had they stopped serving food so early? We stayed for a drink, and the staff began sweeping up around us, which made us feel really uncomfortable and unwelcome. It needs to buck up its ideas . . . as a bag of chips is beginning to look a more attractive option.

Pros: Vegan Options, Soya Milk

Cons: Unfriendly, Complacent, No food after 4.10pm?

Short-staffed - Edit

There are some tables inside, and some outside. I think that the problem is, they have enough staff to cover the inside tables, but not the outside ones as well. The first day we went here, it was raining, so no one was sitting outside, and service was good (although we did have to wait for a table). The second day it was sunny, and service was both slow and chaotic. Several parties that were seated after us were waited on before us - very frustrating. I thought the food was so-so. Plenty of vegan selection, but nothing to write home about. The hummus on my hummus salad sandwich was the same kind they sell at Sainsbury's. Nothing wrong with that, though.

Pros: lovely town, vegan options

Cons: not enough staff, gets very chaotic

Excellent - Edit

A busy, bustling and friendly place with good vegan options and a fantastic position in the centre of Keswick with an amazing view of the surrounding hills. It was clearly very popular as people were prepared to queue for quite some time for a table during a busy weekend lunch-hour. We got a very good first impression and would definitely return.

Pros: Good vegan selection, Tasty food, Great views

Cons: Waiting time, Portions could be larger

Return to Keswick Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMOVED: Lakeland Pedlar Wholefood Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2104 times since Aug 2007.