Lai Thai Kitchen

1621 Leonard St NE (at Fuller), Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA, 49505

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai food menu with also Vietnamese and Chinese dishes. Kitchen will make a dish vegan upon request, such as using seitan or tofu in place of meat in a dish. Lunch buffet on weekdays. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm. Closed Sun.

Categories: Ovo, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by grandmabutt

One of my faves - Edit

I was surprised to see that the only reviews on here were negative, so I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

My wife and I have eaten here on a number of occasions and have always left happy, whether it was eating in or taking out (with the exception of the time my wife ordered their fresh spring rolls and was bummed that they weren't deep fried; that's not their fault of course!)

They are very knowledgeable about vegan ingredients and are able to make just about anything on the menu vegan, even the things that aren't listed in their vegan section. My favorite is the Country Curry which, to my ignorant understanding, is a more "authentic" way to get curry and comes without the coconut milk that is typical in most Thai curries around here.

The only thing that I find lacking is the ambiance. As others have noted, it's in a strip mall (which is fine) but it is quite small and often very quiet. I sometimes feel like I need to whisper when talking to my wife so as not to be "that loud person."

That said, in my experience the service has been quite prompt, the food has been tasty, and I've found it a pretty good bang for the buck.

Pros: Vegan-knowledgeable, Can get most anything vegan

Cons: Too quiet

Underwhelmed - Edit

I thought I'd give this place a shot since their only review was from a couple of years ago. The staff was friendly and my food actually didn't take too long. However, I paid extra for extra tofu and veggies in the Vegetable Tofu Supreme (please look at the picture I posted) and requested it to be mild as opposed to spicy. Had I not gotten carry-out, I would've requested a refund. I hate to leave a bad review, but not only did I return to my hotel to find that I mainly had a container of sauce but it was liquid fire. I will check my food before leaving establishments in the future and I certainly won't be returning here.

Cons: mild = spicy, paying extra for more is a rip-off, somewhat of a hole-in-the-wall joint

Not Great - Edit

Casual strip mall setting. Visited on multiple occasions, and every time the service is super slow. The meat eaters at my table had the same amount of tofu in their noodle dishes as mine. I would have expected more. There is better Thai food in GR. I've never eaten from the buffet, but there is a small one with some vegan options I believe.

Return to Grand Rapids Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lai Thai Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.