Ladonia Cafe

Contact n/a

Library Mall (at State St), Madison, Wisconsin, USA,

Food cart serving all vegan comfort food, made from scratch. Specializing in tamales, BLTs, chocolate chip waffles and ginger limeade. Check website for exact locations. Wed-Fri 11:00am-2:00pm, Sat 8:00am-2:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out, Mexican

First Review by starlyse

This is worth coming to Madison, let alone Wisconsin for. No joke. We had a tamale plate and Mac (pictured). The Mac was great, possibly an oat cheese, and well seasoned with a great choice of shell like noodles. The tamales are delicious, homemade, gluten free and come with well seasoned pinto beans and salsa. It was more than enough food for two cranky hungry vegans in the middle of Wisconsin. More than we could have asked for, we are so glad we decided to come here!

Pros: gluten free options, Mac and cheese , women owned

Superb! - Edit

On a recent visit to Madison, I ate at Ladonia five times in five days, sampling nearly everything on the menu, and I was always pleased. The food is fresh and tasty, the service is friendly, and the prices are reasonable considering the quality.

I particularly enjoyed the BLT, the quinoa salad, and the brownie. I brought several friends here and they enjoyed it as well.

A fun anecdote: One day, as i was eating my Ladonia lunch in the Capitol lawn, there were three other people sitting on the bench next to me, also eating meals from Ladonia. One gentleman had almost finished his BLT before her realized it wasn't "real" bacon. His colleague had to point it out to him. He exclaimed, "You mean I just ate some kind of tofu?! Well, I have to admit it's really good." :-)

Amazing food and friendly staff - Edit

I ate at their booth at the farmer's market. They had quite a few options. I had a supremely delicious ginger lemonade (very gingery and not too sweet), tamales (one seitan, one sweet potato, both delicious), and a strawberry scone (scrumptious!). The staff were very friendly and cheerful. The food was generously portioned for the (low) price. I would definitely go again and again.

They have several gluten-free options, which are clearly labelled.

Pros: Varied menu, Delicious food, Cheerful staff

Cons: Long lines at their farmer's market stand

also a vendor at the farmers market - Edit

Hubs and I had the BLT, Tamale platter, a berry lime scone and a brownie from their truck at the market on Saturday. Service was quick, prices reasonable for the large amount of food you get-especially the tamale plate. Staff was friendly. Only drawback-scone was tasty but a bit overbaked-everything else was amazing. We plan on going again on our next trip to Madison.

Amazing waffle and tempeh bacon! - Edit

This place has some of the best tempeh bacon I've ever had- so flavorful, not hard/dry at all, just delicious. I always get the chocolate chip waffle platter, which comes with the tempeh and potatoes, and all are so so good (waffle is light and fluffy, potatoes spiced and cooked just right). They also have a TLT that I keep meaning to try if I can ever pass up the waffle! As well as tamales, and sometimes scones or other baked goods. I've heard all are delicious. Definitely seek them out if you're in Madison, they are wonderful!

excellent tamales! - Edit

I've tried their tamales twice (the first time they were just so good!). They are delicious. I usually get them with a side of tempeh "bacon". My only criticism is that the dish is not visually interesting (all brown), but the flavors are spot on!
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 08, 2013

Pros: totally vegan, gluten free options, portion size

Cons: visually lackluster

Return to Madison Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ladonia Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3799 times since Aug 2013.