CLOSED: Laauma

Sonntagstr 26, Berlin, Germany, 10245

Open May 2014, serving food, cakes, and fresh juices. Has raw and soy free options. A specialty is cold brew coffee with coconut froth and golden syrup. Pets welcomed. Confirmed closed January 2017.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, European

First Review by Sternanis

Closed - Edit

Amazing place, but they are closed now :( But they have a great cookbook out with all of their greatest recipes.

Wow! - Edit

Best brunch EVER! ?

One of my favorite brunches in town - Edit

I absolutely LOVE Laauma. Why? Because they have foods you can't find anywhere else. The owners are clearly working really hard on making delicious, original, healthy stuff for us. And they do it VERY well. The menu changes regularly, the brunch is always top level, a bit pricey BUT really, it's worth it. I went there for lunch too and had a tofu thing with a red wine chutney and it was OH MY so tasty! I like the place, their terrace and their nice original drinks too. Make a reservation for the brunch :)

Pros: very original and tasty food, nice and cosy place + terrace to enjoy sunny days, great brunch

love this place and the food - Edit

I've been here a few times and always love it. The food is really tasty and try out a good dressing on the salads. To me the portion sizes are just right (medium). The menu changes monthly and they have a good selection of raw cakes and energy balls. The almond and chocolate chip cookie is DELICOUS. Crispy and chewy and huge.

The build your own burger event in Friday's (last of every month maybe?) was also nice. Was a bit sparse when I went but I arrived late. Still tasty.

I found the staff to be very friendly and nice - and I am not pierced and punky looking as suggested in other reviews.

The decor is pretty and well thought out. I just really like this place. The quiche and salad combo is perfect for lunch or a light dinner.

Pros: taste, cake selection , monthly menu

Cons: no wifi

Unfriendly and poor food - Edit

The staff is unfriendly and not able to do their job proffessional. We arrived with a group of three people and we orderd a lot of food. Sorry we are not pierced or tattoed. The staff looked at us as if we were aliens or freaks. They were not able to communicate in a friendly way or to serve in a friendly way. It felt like that we were the choosen enemies for them just because we did not fit into their stereo type of a vegan person. We weared normal nice clothes ( vegan by the way ) They did not talk to us - just the minimum needed words to take the order, they did not smile, and when he food arrived they placed in on our table without words. The food did not taste but was overpriced. IfI could rate with one star I would do so, but 2 stars is the minimum for vegan restaurants.

Pros: nothing

Cons: Overpriced, Unfriendly, not tasty, uncomfortable, bad music

Most creative vegan place with the coolest interior! - Edit

You have to go to laauma when in Berlin! It's so cool, cozy, artsy and sooo yummy! Go there for a great evening with friends or grab a book, you can even study there. Go in and forget the world outside with so much vegan goodness :)

Creative menu - Edit

This is a small, nice place close to the Ostkreuz train station. They have a small monthly menu, with salads, soup, and a couple of mains, including a raw option. You order and pay at the counter, but they bring the meals out to your table. We had two different dishes that were both quite creative, really nicely presented, and very delicious. The servings were also big, and while we came in quite hungry, we didn't leave hungry. (But that, of course, is always relative). None of the items on the menu was over €10.

They also have a baking cabinet with delicious looking cakes, and pastries, some raw as well. Additionally the staff was very friendly, so that Laauma overall is a really nice find, that surprised with a really well thought out, and well executed, all vegan menu.

Pros: creative dishes, reasonable priced, comfy place, friendly staff

family spot - Edit

this is a place we like to celebrate our birthdays. The place is kid friendly, they can run around. On the evening the atmosphere is quiet but very family like. The food is good, creative, well serve and made with attention, a bit too fatty for a good digestion. The staff is nice, we had to wait a bit but were not in a hurry. our kid love the fruit leather and the energy ball and also he tried all what was serve and enjoy everything. the quiche was not so good though.
Nice place, nice food, nice people.

Pros: creative, nice atmosphere

Cons: a bit too fatty

My Favorite Spot - Edit

I love the super homey and rustic atmosphere here! This is a great spot to enjoy some tasty food with friends, or just come alone with your doggie, and grab a bite to eat while reading one of their books, or magazines. I brought my doggie and she had a great time playing with the owners dog :) Super cute! The prices are very reasonable for what you are getting. They offer one of the biggest salads in town atm. The vegan Ceasar Salad with crunchy grilled tofu and sauteed mushrooms, covered in toasted sesame seeds! So delish and just 6.50€! I ordered the zucchini noodle salad in the fall, when the offered it. It was really tasty and surprisingly filling for such a small salad. It was probably the Tahini Bikini dressing they used that made it so satisfying. I almost did not order it because it was like 5 or 6€ and did not look very gratifying, but looks can be deceiving and I was so glad I got it because it was really tasty, plus I felt energetic and full after eating it. Some of these things may seem a bit pricy to the untrained eye, but if you know anything about food costs you would know that the ingredients they use are really top quality and they are not making a huge profit on the food they sell especially compared to the fast food places nearby. Plus some of the things can be labor intensive. If you want a meal that will make you feel good after you eat it and during, then I definitely recommend going here and don't be afraid to try something different, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Pros: Great food with fantastic service! , reasonable prices, super cozy atmosphere

Cons: I wish there were more raw vegan options

Didn't knock me off the chair - Edit

Hmpf, I was really looking forward to trying out this place as I have heard about it from friends and my first impression was good - it's a bright café with cozy furniture and colourful interior. I was looking forward to trying out some of their raw things such as zucchini lasagna. Then I saw the price for a tiny portion and decided not to go for it. They also had raw crackers (1,50€ per piece) and energy balls (also 1,50€ each) which looked nice. We ended up having a raw cocoa maca smoothie which was tasty but cost 4,50€! I thought the smoothies at Goodies were expensive, but they come cheap at 3,80€ compared with the Laauma smoothies.
As for food, we decided on a focaccia with grilled veggies (3,70€) which was very tasty and quite filling. We also took two pieces of cake (Spreewelle) home with us - the pieces were VERY big and were worth the 3,20€ they cost. Both was brought to us very fast.
Our daughter wanted one of their homemade iced lollies (cashew-blueberry) which looked nice but turned out to be half water only and was rather bland : ( We ended up getting her some "real" soya ice cream from Heiß&Kalt down the road.

Finally, when we wanted to start eating the owner's dog that had been running around the café while we were waiting and that was frightening our daughter, came really close and started sniffing around our plates! I asked the staff to take the dog somewhere else which was immediately done. I'm still quite speechless about it, though.

Somehow I've got the feeling that this is just another one of those hipster places that's just being run for the business. They definitely would have to go down with their prices if they wanted me to come back.

Pros: Tasty and fresh food

Cons: Expensive, Owner's dog not well-behaved

2 Responses

Berlinus 13 Sep 2014 - Hi there, the dog is not the owner's but mine, I am a staff member and I was working the day you were our guest. Just like you said, when you told me that your daughter has a fear of dogs I immediately brought him to our office. As you probably remember, he is very small (far too small to reach your plate ;) ), quiet and friendly and sometimes a little curious and wants to "sniff hello". Our guests love him and he gets a lot of cuddles and bellyrubs, probably he was hoping to get some from you, too ;) Whenever someone doesn't want to have him around I bring him to his bed in the back of the shop. I am also a babysitter for quite a few years now and I bring him to all "my families". He is very sweet with children of all ages and actually a great dog for children who are afraid of dogs.

And one little thing I would love to clarify: We run the place with great passion and love for freshly homemade organic food and the desire to make people happy with it. :)

All best to you and your daughter, Sabrina (and Linus)

wildfang 16 Feb 2015 - Hello Sabrina, thanks for your reply and explanation. I don't doubt that Linus is a friendly dog ;-) I just think that dogs shouldn't be hanging around the customer's tables lurking for food. Plus I also don't want their hair flying around and land on my food, that's all. He didn't seem to be such a small dog to me. Anyway, my daughter has got over her fear of dogs, luckily.
I'm glad to read about your passion and love for healthy food. It's still a tad too expensive for me, but I feel better now about recommending it to people with what you wrote.
Regards :-)

tasty and nice - Edit

very nice place with good food. not much choice, as they prepare things day by day, but you're going to find something you like anyway. Small and family-feeling, unfortunately it closes at 8 pm, that's not nice if you want to have dinner there, but we managed to!

Pros: great food, nice girls attending you, very relaxed atmosphere

Cons: waiting time (but if you're not hurry..), few sits outside (but vacant!), not much choice (but just cooked)

Good quality and a great concept - Edit

I really liked this place and would definitely recommend it for a healthy and delicious breakfast or lunch.

This cafe is located in a really nice part of Berlin which is a bit off the beaten track. The decor and atmosphere are really nice and there is seating both inside and on the pavement in front.

They offer various breakfast and lunch items, snacks and drinks, including smoothies. I also really like the concept of minimal/reusable packaging (including jars with deposits which you can bring back) and everything seems to be made healthily in-house with fresh ingredients.

Lovely place, tasty food with many healthy options - Edit

We had a Raw in Berlin meetup and they had many good raw options including raw sushi, zucchini pasta, soup (gazpacho), several smoothies and couple of sweets. Raw food were all tasty but not especially impressive (portions are small-ish as well), but really good to have raw food (and also not too heavy) for eating out. The raw cake was mango-matcha flavor and was tasty but it was more like a flat cream pie or mousse than a cake. We also had quiche (3.8 euro) and sandwiches (5.x euro?) and they were all very good (quiche was really tasty; a little salty for me but others all liked it). They have real giant size cookies (2 euro-ish? and also have gluten free options i think), a couple soups and on Thur-Sun burger as well.

Oh and the staff are really friendly and the atmosphere of the place is awesome. Very pretty place. Good for both meal or a snack/drink.

Pros: Raw options, Taste, Friendly staff

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Laauma closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.