First Review by earlgrey

cute store - Edit

Lovely place, Among other things, they have nice italian brands (excellent almonds, oil, olives, beans, ...)
Besides, the fruits and veg are fresh and not too pricey.

Pros: vegetarian

Cons: they closed the restaurant!

La Tsampa - Edit

When I was in Brussels around the end of 2002 this was the only all vego place I could find. I thus happilly ate here on more than one occasion. I was able to get vegan food OK and enjoyed it very much.

The opening hours of the shop are worth checking on their website as they may be different to those of the restaurant.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty food at reasonable prices

Life saver in Brussels - Edit

Beautiful location, very friendly service, explained every dish to me in the display case. I recommend the bean (lintel and avocado) dishes, quinoa and salad ... and if possible stocking up in large portions, because the prices are very reasonable, and you won't find a more filling vegan option in Brussels.

Delicate taste, beautiful place - Edit

My partner and I visited Tsampa on one occasion. In the afternoon the kitchen is not open but we had soup, bread, three cold dishes (lentils, quinoa and a seitan samosa) and herbal tea. The restaurant is attached to a macrobiotic shop. They have a beautiful sitting area attached to a garden. For those interested in Tibetan Buddhism, the place is owned by a Tibetan buddhist community and there is a Buddhist centre on the other side of the garden. The whole place is decorated with Buddhist motifs. The lady who served us said this place had around 40 years making it probably the oldest vegetarian restaurant in Brussels (and it has vegan options). We thought the food was exquisite and the staff was very friendly. However, the prices were a bit on the high end and the portions are small so we could only afford to visit once.

Pros: delicious, vegan options, beautiful sitting area

Cons: a bit expensive, small portions

TOP! - Edit

Those guys are just the best! I'm in heaven when I enter here. Their offer is just yummy! And they do understand vegans. It feels nice to be understood for once in a Brussels restaurant. Mostly I just feel like the annoying one at the table, trying to specify my vegan diet. Unfortunately, Brussels is overall quite ignorant and not cooperative in this field... In La Tsampa I know I will have super comfortable evening with a plate full of Mother Earth Love.

Very Innovative - Edit

Very fresh and innovative meals.
Always good.

Pros: Taste Of Food, Innovative, Fresh

Cons: Not Much Choice, Do Not Cook Enough For The Demand

Lunch Spot - Edit

La Tsampa is a nice, cozy, neighborhood restaurant. It is doing traiteur service and take away. They have a dish of the day that changes everyday and you can look it up on their website. I usually take it but it isn't always satisfiying. The quality is always there but I had once too little for the price. But, no mistake, it's mainly really good, that's why I was desappointed. You can also try their set menu.

Nice cozy restaurant - Edit

I ate here just once and it was a nice experience. However, vegan dishes were not marked on the menu, so we had to ask the waiter (I hate doing this, as I believe vegan restaurants should mark the dishes that are vegan) about vegan options.

Pros: Cozy, Nice interior

Cons: Quite expensive.., Vegan dishes were not marked

Great vegan options! - Edit

I am vegan and my husband eats meat. Having read the previous reviews we almost passed on La Tsampa. But it was close to our hotel so we decided to try it. We are so glad we did!

The experience impressed me so much that I signed up for Happy Cow just so I could write a review so that other vegans will know that, contrary to the previous reviews, there are good vegan options here! Perhaps the restaurant has changed? Perhaps we got a more knowledgeable waitress? Not sure why the discrepancy, but this place is worth trying!

We don't speak French and they don't have an English menu. No problem - the waitress would translate. I told her I was vegan and she knew exactly what I could and could not eat. She offered to veganize whatever was possible, and made suggestions.

I ordered the set menu with a soup/salad option. For 13 euros I got a bowl of butternut squash soup and a plate of tofu curry with brown rice, cauliflower and green bean sides. More than enough food for dinner! The curry could have perhaps been a little more spicy, but I am sure if I would have asked they could have turned up the heat. Vegetables were cooked fine - al dente on the beans.
Lots of other options besides the set menu, and as I said, the waitress offered to customize for me being vegan :-)

My husband was happy with the set menu as well. He chose a greek salad to start - very large for a starter salad and had feta for him. Since he is not vegan his vegetables came with a raita sauce. He also chose basmati rice instead of brown.

I felt very comfortable there. Clean environment, knowledgeable staff, good food. We will be back before we leave town!

Pros: Customized for Vegan options, clean environment, helpful staff

Cons: Closes a little early at 7:30 PM

Nothing for Vegans... - Edit

When I came here there were no vegan options and the waitress didn't seem to understand what the word meant (she offered me something with a little egg in it) so i left empty handed.

Decent, but expensive - Edit

La Tsampa is a cute little place located at the back of a health store. Service was friendly, though I'm not sure my waitress understood the word vegan. My Indian curry dish was tasty, but extremely small in size, and maybe added up to ten bites of food, not including the boiled carrots and green beans on the side. It was tasty, but super-expensive at 12 euros (US$17). Vegan and vegetarian options are limited in Brussels, so this is one of the best you'll get.

Pros: Taste, Decor

Cons: Expensive, Small portions

Nice place - Edit

I went there for lunch with my husband on our holiday in May.
I thought seasoning was a bit salty but still I enjoyed a lot. Lots of different vegetables were used and they weren't overcooked so green vegs were still green.

Pros: ingredients, location

Cons: space

Return to Brussels Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Tsampa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.