First Review by raphalla

A place for kids and families - Edit

I tried this restaurant alone. The place is nice but completely dedicated to kids with a huge playing area. The staff is very friendly.

In terms of food, vegan options are very limited. I had a vegan wrap which was fresh and good but not crazy in terms of taste. It could have lacked of hummus or a more consistent sauce inside. They had no vegan desserts, apart from fruits.

Pros: kids and family friendly, fresh food

Cons: too few vegan choices

Nice for families with young kids - Edit

After reading all the reviews available, we decided to celebrate our 1 yo daughter's b'day here, as it seemed perfect for babies and toddlers alike. And it is vegetarian (we are vegan), so it seemed just perfect.

It is indeed very family oriented, with a huge playground for toddlers/older kids and a small one for babies - nice toys, well kept, huge selection. It was not crowded while we where there, I am sure it is crowded in winter. Wew almost had the place to ourselves. All kids loved it (1,3,4) yo.

The food is indeed vegetarian, with limited choice, but more than ok for a brunch/lunch, a lot of healthy choices. That being said, there are very few vegan choices and as I kept asking for details, the staff seemed put off and at some point there was a less polite reaction along the lines... listen, we are not a vegan place, there are a few dishes but we cannot guarante no cross-contamination with dairy and eggs. No big deal for us, as there are no alergies in the family, but not nice to hear anyway. Especially since when we made the reservation we were reassured there will be some vegan options, esp. deserts, made for us - none at all when we arrrived. We were alowwed to bring our own cake, so that was nice. Apart from this incident, the staff were quite friendly, though very strict on the no shoes inside policy. As we knew beforehand, we bought indoor shoes - which were not allows in the lay areas, even if very clean, so that those areas would be kept clean. Now I can only say that aftera couple of hours when we left, my baby and toddler's white socks had turned... dark grey. So much for very clean. Now I am not saying it was dirty, not at all, but not as clean as they claimed.
Another minus for me was that they served kids food in plastic dishes, bowls, glasses - hello?! petrolium based plastic dishes... hot soup ?!!! no one reads the news ?? i know this is a non-issue for a lot of families, but those who care what they, and esp their kids eat, whcih tends to be the case with vegans and vegetarians, well, we care.
Apart from this, it was a very nice experience. Great idea for kids parties (if you want the whole place for yourself, be ready to pay a substantial reservation fee).
Back to food, our omnivore friends loved it, kids too. It was fresh and healthy, well balanced. Us vegans, ok, but not at al impressed (quinoa undercooked, but great receipe).
All in all, a nice place for families, a big strech from any other no so young-family-friend restaurant

Pros: vegetarian, great for young kids, good no shoes policy

Cons: very very few vegan choices, floors could be even cleaner, 10am to 2pm opening hours

A place for the small one - Edit

We went there on a Saturday afternoon. The restaurant was relatively quiet. There are only 7-8 tables and i think the selections on the menu are rather less. The great thing about this place is, the whole restaurant is kind of a playground for the big and small children. They have an eclosed playing area with different toys for the toddle and sofa/ reading area for bigger kids. They sell some second hand children clothes, books, shoes ... as well. There are some free samples of children stuff too. It is a relieve for the parents since they can have a coffee or tea while they children play on their own. We had pita pizza with salads, quiche with salad, a hot chocolate, a coffee, while our small one had some kind of mexican bread & salsa, at CAD 35 including tips. They tasted good and portions are good too. By the way, you are supposed to leave your shoes at the front of the restaurant. This is a really good place for people with children to meet up.

Pros: Very children friendly, Atmosphere

Cons: Small selection of menu

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Tasse Gamine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3067 times since Jun 2011.