First Review by philtraveller

Great food, but NOT vegan friendly. - Edit

I am vegetarian, and my partner is vegan. We went here, because this site listed that it was vegan friendly. When we arrived for lunch, we asked the waitress what we could eat that was vegan (as it was not listed on the menu). She looked very confused, and admitted she had no idea about vegan food. So we asked if the vegetarian breakfast could be made vegan (without eggs) and if the sausages were vegan. She went to ask the chef, and he responded that the sausages were definitely vegan. When our food arrived, we were sceptical about the sausages being vegan, but we didn't want to complain, as the chef had assured us they were fine.

After eating our meals, we went to double check with the chef, and asked him what brand of sausages he used, to which he replied Cauldrons. We then realised straight away that we were served non vegan sausages, as they contain egg. When we mentioned this to him, he checked the package, and said "oh yes, you're right".

As I'm vegetarian, I can say the food was quite nice, the staff were friendly, and they did not charge my partner for his food. However, neither the waitress or the chef are educated in vegan cooking, and there is no food on the menu that is vegan friendly (except for providing soya for coffee).

Pros: Vegetarian friendly, Reasonably priced, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Not vegan friendly, Uneducated in vegan dining

Delicious vegan options - Edit

Wonderful friendly little cafe/restaurant run by a Chilean family and serving up meals/snacks from that region. Not totally veggie but always several vegan options and soya cream available for vegan flapjacks for dessert.
Good size portions and very family friendly (sadly up steep stairs so not as accesible as you might want).
Deli/wholefood shop downstairs which has lots of tasty things.

Pros: Tasty vegan options, Cheap, Family friendly

Cons: Steep stairs for access

friendly and informal - nice freshly made food - Edit

Don't think thisis totally veggie, but the food's freshly made on premises and very good value for money...most of all tastes fantastic. Friendly and welcoming... more a cafe than restaurant. great for relaxed lunch with a paper.

Pros: quiet, friendly, cheap

Return to Bristol Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Ruca closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1613 times since Aug 2007.