REMOVED: La Piscina

Contact 041-2413889

Dorsoduro 780, Venice, Italy,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Fine dining restaurant that's part of a hotel. Overlooks the canal. Has vegetarians and vegan dishes clearly indicated on menu. Helpful staff. Reservations may be required. Reportedly no longer offering vegan options.

Category: Italian, Gourmet, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan

disappointing - Edit

Based on all the positive reviews on Happy Cow, we had our hotel make a dinner reservation for us here. That's probably what got us a table right in the front corner by the water. It was a lovely view, but other than that, it was disappointing. We looked at the menu and there were plenty of vegetarian options noted, but not many vegan ones. And using the legend, you had to decipher which veggie items had no dairy or eggs in them. It was basically a couple of soups and sides that were vegan. We asked more than one waiter if there was a separate vegan menu or something else that could be prepared for us, but everyone was dismissive and just pointed to the menu. So we ordered the couple things we could have along with a half bottle of wine. The food was good, but basically like starters. And then when we went to pay the bill, we got charged an extra amount because we didn't order the minimum of wine required (which had not been disclosed to us). Overall, it was an expensive meal (like much of Venice), but we got poor service and little food for it.

Pros: nice view

Cons: very few vegan options, poor service

Fabulous - Edit

We booked the table via email from the UK and secured it with a credit card. We had a meal on the terrace looking out over the lagoon and had a fabulous waiter who constantly made us laugh. Telling him we were vegan, he set to work advising us what we could and couldn't have and explained why (ie, that has egg in it, that contains milk etc). We were with 4 meat eaters and every one of our dishes was wonderful. I really can't recommend this place enough. Anyone who says Italian restaurants are particularly difficult for vegans haven't eaten here! The max recommendation for a non vegetarian restaurant on here is 4 cows, otherwise this would have been a 5!

Pros: location, amazing staff

Cons: none

Full vegetarian menu - Edit

We made a reservation here for our 10th anniversary. We were given a table right on the water and two menus, one for carnivores and one for vegetarians. It is difficult in Italy to find a full menu with multiple vegetarian options for antipasti, primi piatti, and secondi piatti. Here, it was difficult to choose among all the appetizing offerings. The crostini a formaggi were excellent appetizers. The risotto was good, but the potato & cheese cake and pastry filled with peas & ricotta were very tasty second plates. The panna cotta was likewise fantastic. More expensive than our local vegetarian restaurant in Friuli, but we were on the water in Venezia! Highly recommended.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 04, 2013

Pros: Full menu, Location, Delicious

Cons: Somewhat expensive

Very nice. - Edit

Lovely venue with a great view of the canal, excellent and helpful service, with clearly marked vegan options on the menu. The food didn't quite match the venue and the service, but it was pretty good, and very welcome on what was a very cold day. It was nearly empty when we were there and made for a very relaxed extended luch, but I can see it might get busy.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday October 16, 2012

Pros: Great location, Excellent service, Good food

Cons: Expensive, but you can see why.

Gorgeous, Friendly restaurant on the water - Edit

Despite not being an entirely vegan affair, this was our favorite restaurant experience of our time in Italy. The staff was friendly and attentive. They have a separate veg-friendly menu with items marked as vegan (and in four different languages). The dining area is ON the water, you are on a floating deck.
The restaurant was very easy to find (for Venice with a map!) and was a very classy affair. The food, as always in Italy, was extremely fresh and creative. As the sun began to set, it was lit up on the water which was quite a gorgeous spectacle.
I had the rice with beans for dinner and meals like this, which may sound rather plain when compared with this being a vegan option in an American restaurant, really stood out on its own and was not something that was just thrown together. The beans were great.
We had a cherry sorbetto/grilled pineapple dessert.
Overall, it was a super experience on the water in the world's most (toursity) romantic city. I recommend it to anyone passing through Venice looking for a long dinner on the water away from the heavy crowds of San Marco.
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 23, 2012

Pros: On the Water, Vegan Menu Separate, Easy to Find

My best meal in Italy! - Edit

If you want a romantic setting and delicious vegan food, then make your way to La Piscina (it's not difficult to find as other reviews suggest.) Located right on the water, we didn't need a reservation and the friendly and helpful staff welcomed us to sit down to a view to die for. This was a fancy meal and setting yet it didn't break the bank (we ordered a lot of food; it wasn't cheap, but wasn't outrageous.) The staff are incredibly attentive and there's a separate veg menu with plenty of vegan options clearly marked.

We started with the vegetable crostini; light, not too oily, and delicious. I had the pea soup and my partner had a pasta for the first plate. I immensely enjoyed the potato cake and grilled veggie main plate. It was a lot of food but the veggies weren't too oily and I savored every bite of the potato cake (kind of like mashed potatoes.) My partner had the rice and green beans in a unique sauce. We shared the cherry sorbetto with grilled pineapple for dessert and had coffees to cap things off.

We took our time and soaked up the atmosphere and lingered over each dish. Honestly, each dish was simply wonderful; even the pea soup was really exciting. This is the most memorable dining experience in my Italian adventure, and when I told this to one of the wait staff, he seemed genuinely moved to hear this.

I would give this place five stars if happy cow would let me.

Pros: fun veg options (not pasta!), romantic setting, attentive, friendly staff

Fancy Pants! - Edit

I was satisfied with the service and the food (though of course there were hardly any vegan desserts!). The food was very tasty, if not a wide variety or adventurous. I appreciated that the waiter knew what I meant when I said "what's vegan on the menu?" and could also suggest a good wine pairing. This was a convenient place to take our non-vegetarian friends, too. Yes, it was expensive; but for us this was a one-night splurge and worth it. I'm sure the terrace is lovely in the summer, it's right on the water.

Reservations are recommended. We made reservations at the earliest seating (7pm) and the dining room was full by the time we left. We made reservations by email, which was extremely convenient! Look at their website for good pictures and to find the email address.

Pros: service, wine list, email reservations

Cons: expensive, boring vegan desserts

Disappointing - Edit

We found the restaurant no prob. The setting is great but service is not good for the price they ask. OK, the menu is marked and you can have a little different (but not much) choices but..
On our antipasto, there was a bit of salmon dropped by accident and I did wonder if they treat Veggie dishes separately or have awareness about them as the marked menu indicate some what.
The table charge, the price and service all together was really not worth it for me.

Pros: location, english spoken

Cons: price, service

Salvation in a sea of pasta - Edit

We stayed in Venice waiting for our cruise to leave and I looked up this restaurant on Happy Cow in the hopes of finding tasty vegan fare. After a 2 days in Rome and eating nothing but pasta with tomato sauce swimming in olive oil, I really needed a nice plant based meal. Yes this restaurant was difficult to find. Every address in Venice is difficult to find! It was pricy but worth it! It had a fabulous terrace right on the water (literally ON the water!) and I was thrilled that the vegan options are well marked. It was the last decent meal I had before a one week cruise departing from Venice.

Pros: Great View, Choice, Classy dining

too expensive! - Edit

we had a hard time finding this place, but went to the tourist information on the station, that pointed out were to go.

at first when we got there and sat down for lunch it seemed that there was only a menu for fish. when we said that we were vegetarians, we were brought another menu though.

we each had a smoothie and a second-course, i had the rice tart and my boyfriend had the lasagne (not vegan).

we were not full by a long shot, but the price was 42 EURO, which we thought was very expensive, even though it was a nice place to eat lunch.

we were also charged 3 EURO each for the use of tableware, even though it said in the menu that "service was included". an unpleaseant surprise.

Cons: charge for use of tableware, very expensive

Wonderfully recommended by our hotel! - Edit

Wow I felt like an idiot trying to ask if they had vegan dishes (in italian) to the maitre-de before sitting down. He replied in perfect English, yes we have plenty of vegan food (you would NEVER guess from the looks of the place, white table cloth) The menu is CLEARY vegan marked up!!! We ate here every day for lunch and once for dinner! SUPERB

Pros: vegan on the menu, outstanding food, VIEWS on WATER!

Cons: expensive

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has REMOVED: La Piscina closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3700 times since Mar 2009.