La Oveja Negra

Contact n/a

c/ Buenavista, 42, Lavapiés, Madrid, Spain, 28012

Vegan bar serving tapas and bar food including hot dogs, soya burgers, seitan fajitas, vegan cheese tostas, seitan, chorizo, and chocolate cake. Note: Kitchen may not open until 8pm. Anarchist atmosphere. Previously named Bar Kunin. Closes August month. Open Tue-Sat 1:30pm-12:00am, Wed-Fri 12:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-1:30am, Sun 1:30pm-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by lups85

Bastante bien - Edit

Situado en el barrio de Lavapiés, las chicas que lo llevan son muy majas. La comida está muy buena y a precios muy económicos. El lugar tiene una estética un poco descuidada, no estaría de más cuidarla un poco más.

Pros: comida muy buena , precios , personal

Cons: estética

Amazing vegan spanish flavours experience - Edit

Cozy place in the nice neighborhood of Lavapies. You will find many locals. Usually I considered this a good indication that food is good and moreover it is a opportunity for you to get to know the traditional flavours of a region.

Prices and really cheap. For 20Eur you may ask for 5 different items. Portions are nice.

I enjoyed the ambience of this restaurant. Staff is kind and relaxed.

You'll have a great vegan experience here, for sure.

Pros: variety, vegan, traditional flavours

Me encanta! I love it!!!!!! - Edit

Me encanta éste sitio.!!!!!jjj

Sitio perfecto para tomarte algo en plan informal , la comida es 100% vegana y la verdad es que suelen tener bastante variedad de cosas.
Comida casera y muy barata , pedimos 4 platos y 2 cervezas y pagamos poco más de 20€.
Los [email protected] muy amables , a veces van disfrazados : D

Pros: muy rico y barato

Cons: no se me ocurren , bueno quizá el sitio es chiquit

Bien manger pour pas cher - Very cheap and delicious - Edit

Bar restaurant anarchiste dans un cadre accueillant et vivant. Sandwich au seitan, crêpes aux champignons, piadine de tofu fumé et wrap au houmous, tomates séchées et crudités sont entre 4 et 6 euros tout en étant de qualité.
Lectures et affiches un peu partout.

Pros: Prix, Bons plats

Alternative atmosphere, budget fast food. - Edit

Very simple bar/restaurant offering tasty dishes, mostly based on the use of soy derivatives and seitan.
Good quality and very affordable prices.
Usually crouded.
Openly anti-system atmosphere and alternative decoration.

Pros: Price for quality, Informal atmosphere

Cons: A bit too essential

A beautiful space of equality & integrity - Edit

100% vegan. Fantastic value home-cooked vegan food in a welcoming environment for all. This place gets very busy, especially in the evenings, so arrive by 8pm to get a table.

We were only in Madrid for a few days in April 2016, but visited 3 times, for lunch, dinner and just drinks (photos posted).

The set lunch (el menú del día ) was €8 which consisted of soup followed by a main course of a bean/vegetable burger. This included tea/coffee & beer/wine. We sat outside in the sun with our tea, after our meal. It was so good!

Our dinner was equally delicious, but something English & Americans need to be aware of, is the Spanish have their main meal at lunchtime (2ish), so dinners are burgers, sandwiches, salads etc.

We love this place and the atmosphere of equal rights for all. ♡

Don't come here if you are prejudice or homophobic.

Pros: 100% vegan, fresh food, equal rights haven with al

Cons: Closed Sunday evening & all day Monday.

the food was awful - Edit

my food was frozen on the inside and the portions are really small and the price is high. the service is not good. for 5 euros you get a really small plate with 4 little "meatballs"!, they serve a lot of fake meat but there are not really healthy options, they cook with a lot of oil. is one of the worst vegan restaurants I have ever been. I recommend to go to one of the indian restaurants located nearby they have lots of vegan/ veggie options and are cheaper.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 25, 2015

My favourite restaurant in the whole world - Edit

I love "La Oveja Negra". I love its transfeminist atmosphere, its great and cheap food and the amazing people that work in the restaurant.

Pros: Dishes abundant and delicious, Special place, Lovely staff

Cons: The menu is not very long, Sometimes can be to crowded

go here! great cheap food! - Edit

I was In Madrid for one week... I came here four times.

The food is delicious and cheap - the seitan sandwich and chickpea burger were especially good. I also had the alfajores and carrot cake - both yummy!

Pros: cheap, great sandwiches, cool anarchist aesthetic

Cons: kitchen randomly closes for food sometimes, staff could be more welcoming and seem to have an

Some nice tasty burgers - Edit

I popped in here for a quick evening bite with some friends. I really liked the atmosphere and enjoyed the food. Mostly we all had burgers and I tried a couple and thought they were all really good. Nice prices too. Recommended for what it is - quick easy inexpensive food.

Pros: Inexpensive, Very tasty, Good atmosphere

I would go back - Edit

La Oveja Negra is located in a multicultural neighbourhood and offers a great alternative atmosphere. The food is fresh and prepared with love. I had the day's menu for 8€. Included was a salad as starter, lentil burgers as main dish, a vanilla soya dessert and a drink.

Cons: Nothing is organic.

Totally worth visiting - Edit

Wonderful friendly place with nice people working there. We only had drinks but the menu looked promising. It is a vegan restaurant not because of heath but for animal rights. It was clear just walking through the door.

useless - Edit

Went yesterday at 7:45, on Happy Cow's recommendation that the food started at 8. We were told the kitchen wasn't opening till 9 because of a gig at the venue.

Came back today on Happy Cow's recommendation that it was open till 1AM on Sundays to find it had shut at 6PM.

Try other places first.

Pros: looked like it had a great menu

Cons: at no point could I have any of the food on the me

the queer vegan place - Edit

I really love this place and its anarchist/queer atmosphere. They have a daily menu-del-dia which I've never tried because I work miles away from them, but their tapas and hamburgers are perfect anytime throughout the day, actually even the most stubborn omnivore will love the seitan chorizo here. Plus there are always cakes and/or muffins for a nice afternoon snack. The bad thing is opening hours on Sunday seem imprecise: I've been there twice on Sunday around 9pm and they were definitely close.

Pros: excellent food, affordable, dog-friendly

Cons: opening hours on Sunday imprecise

Cheap and tasty food - Edit

I went a couple times there on a business trip on February and had a nice time there. It's cheap and even though the food it's average it is very tasty. The only think I didn't liked too much was the carrot cake, that was a bit overcooked.
By the way, I think it's a good place to take into account if you're in Madrid for several days and don't want to expend too much money.
I asked it they could prepare a meal to take away and they did it.

Pros: Cheap, Take away available if requested

Cons: No credit cards accepted.

Ok option if you are in the neighbourhood - Edit

This is not the place you would go to on your birthday. But if you are in Lavapiés and you want to go somewhere with an all vegan menu (isn't it nice to look at a menu and have several options!) it's a good one.

Pros: great location

Cons: fills up quickly, service is sometimes grumpy

a Bar, with Bar Food - Edit

It is exactly as it is described: a vegan bar with anarchist atmosphere. Do not go expecting a restaurant or if you want to eat healthy. It's not like they serve junk food.. but it's a bar food. It seemed like most of the things were pre-prepaired and the rest was frozen. Staff was nice and the food was ok.

Pros: Cheap, Location

Good place to drink - Edit

Anarchist atmosphere (which is not my thing, but I didn't go there to discuss about government or gender) and good location. They have some options to eat (I loved mushroom croquettes, despite of the price) that goes well with beers, and the place is really more about drinking than eating, so don't expect this bar will serve you a complete meal.
I would go back when in Madrid again.

Pros: Nice place to drink, Delicious croquettes

Uninspiring - Edit

Really bland food, lacking any inspiration (think packet fries, and tofu straight from the pack). Good value for a big feed though. Plus, judging by the crowd, I don't think people really come here for the culinary delights.

great vegan tapas bar! - Edit

Typical spanish recipes in vegan version, delicious food, delicious desserts, good drinks menu. Very reasonable prices and friendly service. 100% vegan & dogs accepted! Really central location too.

AWESOME! - Edit

Definitely not closed. They close for the month of August, like most places in Madrid, but SO WORTH A VISIT.

This is a good, old-fashioned Spanish bar with a vegan/anarchist twist. Order a beer and they'll give you a vegan tapa. Perfect for going out drinking with both vegans and omnis.

Good hamburgers, tostas, stuffed peppers, and fajitas. If you want a froufrou vegan dinner with raw macadamia cheese and kale chips, go somewhere else. If you want to eat, drink and be merry for CHEAP, this is your place!

Pros: Vegan tapas, Great value, Cool location

Cons: Service a bit slow

Still open - but not very good - Edit

I went to Oveja Negra last week but I didn't feel comfortable there. The staff made the impression as they did not want to have guests and I was barely greeted or smiled at. The selection on the menu was very good. However, the food didn't have much taste and there was almost no salt in it.
I was very disappointed.

Pros: Good location, Good choice on the menu

Cons: no welcoming staff, no good food

NO, it's OPEN ! And very good :) - Edit

I was welcomed by a nice girl. I ordered a hamburger (veg of course) which was "great", a bier and some french fries. The sitting room was full so I stayed standing but enjoyed the food. It's not expensive. And the girl was nice despite my terrible spanish langage...

Go and enjoy !

I Felt Unconfortable - Edit

I went in sunday. I felt uncomfortable because it look like we disturb her. I don't eat soya when I ask her if the bakery have soya she told me she didn't know but she never try know it.
I talked with the other people about this and they think the same like me. The place is good, the prize too and the location too but I don't like the ambient.

Not for the health conscious - Edit

Worth coming to this place for the ambience, the anarchic vibe was very, very cool.

The food was not. If one of the reasons that you are vegetarian is health, then this is absolutely not the restaurant for you. A menu almost exclusively of vegetarian 'meat'. Completely misses the point of vegetarian cuisine, which is the variety of food available to play with in the absence of meat or fish. One of the worst vegetarian meals I have ever had, devoid of colour, variety or life - dead food.

If you are trying to impress people with the joys of vegetarian food, go somewhere else. Don't offer them the vegan chorizo (barf). This is primarily a BAR. If you wanna party, have a few beers and a vegetarian hot dog, then you'll have a great time here.

If all vegetarian food was like this I would end up eating a happy cow. A shame - the left wingers running the bar are misinterpreting one of the most important revolutions taking place today - food.

Pros: Great Ambience

Cons: Bad Food

la oveja negra - Edit

hola!
sitio muy agradable y barato. el menú es delicioso, a 8 euros, ahora abren por la mañana y tienen también brunch y muchos cafés diferentes. los camareros son muy agradables.
muy recomendable!

hello!
Very nice and cheap place. the menu is delicious, 8 euros, now open in the morning and have brunch and many cafes also different. the waiters are very nice.
highly recommended!

Absolutely delicious well-priced vegan food - Edit

Went here a couple of nights ago with two omnivorous friends. We had the fajita, burritos, chorizo, spinach croquettes, soy-bean stuffed peppers, and the chocolate cake.
Each and every dish was full of flavour and worth every penny. My friends loved it despite their usual dislike of veg food. Would have returned had we been staying in Madrid an additional night.
Was a bit out of our way, but completely worth it.

Pros: Great menu, Excellent food, Friendly staff

Cons: Location

Great place (mostly for locals and non-shy tourists) - Edit

Food was delicious. We went at 3pm and the only patrons were local punk rockers. we had great food with some difficulty reading the menu and ordering but it was all veg, made after we ordered and yummy! It's a laid back vibe, must order at the bar but worth the experience. It started to fill up with more young rockin people after we were done. It reminds me of some veg places back home, the only difficulty was the language barrier but minus a few smirks we got what we needed and with smiles from the staff (prob at my brutal Spanish) it's worth the experience and good food if you aren't too timid!

Pros: great food, cool vibe, all veg

Cons: no English , somewhat intimidating

Great for a snack and a drink - Edit

We came around 8:30pm hoping for dinner, but the only food available was five types of tapas. The food was good and the service was friendly. We just wish there would've been more options on offer. Still, very happy to have vegan tapas, and happy to support an all-vegan business, so since it's a bar (not a restaurant) we're rating it 4 happy cows.

Pros: all vegan, affordable

Cons: limited selection of food (it's a bar)

Home sweet home - Edit

I was there last November with some friends. It was a bit hard to find the place, but with some help we managed to get there.
It is a typical Spanish bar (so please keep in mind that this is not a restaurant!!!), we were there, if I remember well, at around 8pm on a Friday. It was full of with punks and probably political activist, and the first thing that happened to me while I was queuing to order the food was that I was asked if I had some rolling paper on me. :p ACE!!! I was surrounded with like minded people so I felt home from the very first moment I entered the bar. I think the staff speaks a bit of English, since I know a bit of Spanish I had no problems with ordering, however the 2 bar tenders were smiling on me all the time (prolly the bad Spanish I used :)
I had a burger with fries and a beer, so nothing fancy, the others I think had tapas. I paid at around 8-10 euros which is kind of normal price in Europe.
All in all if you are into anarchism, or political activism and you are vegan, this is the best place for you.
If you are a snooty health-oriented vegan who looks for a diverse menu, then the place might not rock for you.

I will definitely return to this place, when I am vising my friends in Madrid.
Updated from previous review on Sunday May 12, 2013

Pros: Atmosphere, Simple food

Cons: Nothing

Taste the coming anarchist revolution - Edit

This bar is totally awesome! In typical Spanish style, it really starts to get going at about 11pm on Friday or Saturday and is packed to the rafters with Madrid's thriving vegan and anarchist community. There's beer and great tapas - interesting vegan versions of hamburgers, meatballs and other delights. There's also a selection of political pamphlets and lots of passionate discussion and enjoyment to be experienced. The Spanish have a long tradition of knowing how to enjoy themselves, and how to build anarchist revolution - as they did back in 1936, and are continuing to do today. Come to Bar Kunin to experience the new world being created in the shell of the old! It's name is an irreverent pun on the name of the fiery anarchist philosopher Bakunin and a beautiful painting of him hangs in the bar (painted by a prisoner). He famously wrote, 'Freedom without socialism is privilege, socialism without freedom is tyranny!' Bar Kunin can sometimes be chaotic, but it's the beautiful chaos of freedom and revolution in the making.

Pros: Discover the flavour of anarchist revolution!

Cons: Give up your privileges and prejudices

Cozy! - Edit

I've been here twice and it has been great both times. On both occasions my non-veg companions have loved their meals. I cook quite a lot, so at least to me their cooking is not something out of the ordinary. However, it's quite nice to be able to walk into a bar in Spain and have vegan tapas. There is not a lot of light, and visually, it's not the best, (it looks kind of Andalusian, with a few clashing pictures and posters) but overall, I liked their eclectic vibe. The staff is incredibly amazing, and the prices are dirt-cheap. I love the neighborhood the bar is in, and it's a great place to start your night with their cheap beers. Loved their chill vibe and definitely see myself going back there again.

Pros: cheap, vegan takes on Spanish food, chill vibe

Cons: not well-lit

Nice simple food and nice atmosphere - Edit

Had a nice dinner with a toast and filled peppers.
Interesting taste combinations (very good), nice atmosphere and good prices

Pros: Good food, Good value, Good atmosphere

Really nice - Edit

BAr with Vegan "tapas" all really nice and with very reasonable prices. We had dinner for around 15€ each eating probably more than we should have because everything was so nice.

Pros: food, nice people

Cons: few tables

Tasty vegan burgers - Edit

Well, I went to the Kunin Bar a late sunday afternoon and I really liked the friendly atmosphere and the Burgers there.
They were just was too tasty to eat no more than one.
The Prices are really affordable so I was happy all over.

Pros: Tasty Burgers, not expensive, good beer

Return to Madrid Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Oveja Negra closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.