First Review by choogirl

Overpriced, cold food - Edit

I went to La Nutrivida with my girlfriend on March 28th, 2016 for lunch. The place is simple and well located, just a few blocks away from some of the main tourist spots in the city. They don't accept credit cards, so be sure you have some guaraníes when going there.

The buffet is diverse and the food is ok, however, it was hard to know what dishes were vegan, so I had to ask the staff a few times. I found the food quite oily (frequent problem in Asian restaurants, especially Chinese), with many fried options, and I didn't like the fact that they don't worry about keeping it warm - everything was cold, and after weighing our plates we were asked if we wanted them to heat the food in the microwave. I also think they use too much soy protein (I'm not a fan of soy, but maybe others don't care) and that the price could be a bit lower: they charge ₲ 50,000 per kilo (around $ 8.75), and a cup of juice costs ₲ 5,000 ($ 0.87). The staff is somewhat apathetic.

Check other options in the city before going there.

Pros: Good location, Nice range of food

Cons: Too fried and oily, Cold food, Slightly overpriced

Not Bad - Edit

It wouldn't have been my first choice but as every where else had already closed I gave it a try. Yes food is cold but you just ask them to heat it up in the microwave for you. A good way to eat nutritious food in Asuncion which is normally pretty hard.

Would not recommend at all - Edit

Although it's very hard to find meat-free food in Asuncion, I would not recommend this restaurant. It left me wondering why they even call themselves vegetarian. The price was quite high, some 45,000PYG a kilo. The food was also cold even though I arrived at noon, room temperature, like it had been sitting out for hours. This normally isn't a problem for me, but the food actually seemed old and unacceptable for the high price.

The food was a solid three-star experience, though it was nearly impossible to tell what had meat in it and a good +50% wasn't vegetarian--a bit misleading, it seems to me since they call themselves a vegetarian restaurant.

Seuel, right off the main plaza is far better, slightly cheaper, more vegan and vegetarian options, much nicer restaurant, and with free wifi.

Cons: Expensive, Lots of meat, Old, cold food

Reasonable - Edit

If you are a vegetarian in the sea of meat that is Asuncion, you'll probably have this only option in case you're lodged downtown.
The food is all cold, so you should ask the owner to heat it up in the microwave. The staff doesn't speak English so be ready to know a few words in Spanish first.
The food itself is not that good: too much fried stuff. The salad variety is good though.
You can also takeaway your meal in some containers they provide.

Pros: central location, inexpensive

Cons: not much variety, too much fried stuff, served cold&bland

Exquisito - Edit

Restaurante vegetariano y "vegan friendly" que ofrece variedades de la comida china sin algún tipo de carne, se paga dependiendo del peso de lo que se sirve.

Excelente lugar para compartir con la familia, para probar un estilo diferente de la comida china. Así mismo, sirven distintos tipos de tés y jugos naturales sin azúcar.

Chinese vegetarian buffet - Edit

This restaurant offers an extensive buffet where you load up your plate and pay by weight. The Chinese ladies are can tell you what is vegan. This place mostly caters to locals so English is limited. However, because of this they are really interested in where you are from and excited you are visiting their restaurant!

I really liked the tofu and carne de soya dishes and the spring rolls the best. The flavours were good. The cooked veggies all tasted fairly similar and bland so I'd go more for the salad items. One thing I didn't really like is all the food is precooked and not kept warm.

If you have a bus ride coming up, I suggest visiting this place and making yourself a take away meal since many of the items will travel well without leaking or needing refrigeration.

I would rate this between three and a four cows, depending on what you choose.

Pros: Extensive range of items, Pay by weight, Helpful and enthusiastic staff

Cons: All food is cold

Return to Asuncion Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Nutrivida closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 717 times since Jan 2012.