La Montanita Co-op Marketplace

• Health Store Health Store
Contact 505-984-2852

913 W Alameda St, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA, 87501

Cooperative market providing selections in deli food, fresh produce, vitamins, supplements, bulk staples, chilled and frozen food, personal care products, natural products, and more. Mon-Sat 7:00am-10:00pm, Sun 8:00am-10:00pm

First Review by rianne1134

Perfect Organic Shop - Edit

My favorite place to shop in Santa Fe. Great produce, perfect concept and wide selection. Great produce which is great, wide range of raw food, wide range of supplements with a staff who offers great advice and more

Pros: Great Produce, Great Selection, Great Staff

don't hesitate to recommend vegan items! - Edit

The last two reviews were quite thorough, but I wanted to add that they do offer vegan items in their bakery, which is a treat (the nearby Whole Foods doesn't), and if there is a vegan product you want them to carry, just ask! I made a casual verbal request about carrying Daiya or Vegan Gourmet cheese to someone from the deli (who had zero knowledge about vegan cheese), and within two weeks they had received a shipment of Daiya! I was impressed. I am used to having to submit multiple written requests for things like that.

So don't be shy - if you live around here and you can afford to wait a week or two, just request that they order it for you and then show your support for the product by continuing to purchase it!

Pros: they listen!, some vegan baked goods, cruelty-free cleaning/hygiene

Cons: pricey

I love Co-ops so I stopped to check it out. - Edit

I have volunteered for several different co-ops for years and am currently a purchasing manager for a small food co-op in Milwaukee, WI. Some co-ops do a friendly discount for being a member of other co-ops, just mentioning this because it is quite common around Milwaukee and Chicago and Minneapolis at any of the other co-ops I frequent- but the check out person stared me down and could not seem to comprehend what I was inquiring about. Not a whole lot a food items for a vegan traveler. (In fact I couldn't find vegan yogurt in all of New Mexico, and it turned into a deep craving) I thought the prices a little on the high end and walked away with a cup of coffee in my own mug for almost $4! No mention of whether it was even fair trade, so I assuming it was not. Anyways I am not really trying to say anything bad about the place it was clean and vegetarian friendly but I would certainly suggest some more vegan options- in your deli especially would be nice.

Pros: co-op, clean, easy to find

Cons: not very vegan friendly, a little pricey, not very cooperative

first review misguided - Edit

it is a co-op and there isn't an owner, there's over 12,000. you can buy membership and become an owner. there is paid staff that includes administration and a general manager on salary but it is still non profit and any profit made is returned to the community in projects, used for upgrading stores, and divided back to members in a patronage check.

as far a produce goes, and in all departments, there is a standard mark up based on what the co-op pays itself for the merchandise, things aren't more expensive in santa fe because it's santa fe, it costs more to deliver there than albuquerque. there's a ton more about this place that if anyone is interested in can find out by contacting the co-op, you can speak with any on the administrative side or the volunteer board of directors and any and all financial information is available as it's a transparent company.....

Return to Santa Fe Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Montanita Co-op Marketplace closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1758 times since Aug 2007.