La Mere

+356-21223256

174 Merchants St, Valletta, Malta

Serves meat, vegan options available. Indian and Moroccan food, with vegan/veggie choices labeled including a few starters (tabbouleh, samosa, flat bread), curry, and a dessert. Gets busy so may need to book ahead. Also operates a delivery service named TukTuk Indian Food. Open Mon-Sat 12:30pm-2:30pm, 7:00pm-10:30pm.

Categories: Lacto, Indian, Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Non-veg

First Review by vegantearoom

Excellent meal and atmosphere - Edit

Went to La Mere on a recent trip to Valletta. Menu is very clearly labelled with many vegetarian and vegan options. The food was delicious- I am vegan, and had a wonderful curry, which came with a vegan alternative to Naan. Lovely, cosy atmosphere with brick walls and vaulted ceilings.

Pros: Clearly labelled menu, Small and cosy, Has a more local vibe

Cons: Can get busy, so may be a wait

One of the Only Places That Serves Good Food in Valletta - Edit

La Mere is one of the only restaurants that actually serves good quality, delicious food. It's a shame it serves meat but that shouldn't deter you from visiting. If you're a foodie like me, you'll probably be disappointed with the vegan options Valletta has to offer.

La Mere is a classic Indian restaurant with one vegan curry (you can choose mild, medium or spicy. I got medium and it was a bit mild for me), a whole bunch of starters (I got samosas) and flat breads. There was a vegan dessert too but unfortunately we didn't have time. The restaurant was fully booked (you should book in advance!) and they only had time to squeeze us in before 8pm. The staff were polite, never rushed us or anything but they did serve our food quicker than anyone else's so we felt a little awkward.

Something I should mention is that the tea is made with Malta's water rather than imported so don't order tea. At least it tasted wrong. Maybe as a Brit I'm a bit fussy with tea. The tea was horrible is what I'm saying.

Luckily the lovely presented starter, main and side were all delicious so they definitely made up for the tea. It was reasonably priced too. Would recommend!

Pros: Delicious food, nice atmosphere, polite staff

Cons: gets busy, gross tea, serves meat

Return to Valletta Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Mere closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.