La Macarena

Contact 504-862-5252

8120 Hampson St (at S Carrollton Ave), New Orleans, Louisiana, USA,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Traditional Salvadoran meals, specializes in pupusas. Offers many vegan and vegetarian options. Does not serve alcohol, BYOB. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 10:30am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Salvadoran, Non-veg

First Review by bayzydk

Boo :( - Edit

I have given this place 3 tries. Bad experience every time. They promote that they have vegetarian/vegan options and have a specific place on the menu titled this.
First time: table full of vegans, they were aware far in advance. The OWNER came to our table and told us that everything on the vegetarian section of the menu could be made vegan. I ordered the stuffed yucca and portabella mushroom dumpling without cheese. I had to point it out to the waiter because I was having trouble pronouncing the correct name, so it was pointed out, talked about, and written down. Or so I thought. As all of the food comes out, I'm starting to realize mine isn't coming. After a while we ask them about it and the waiter tells me he doesn't recall me ordering it, although everyone sitting around me remembers. The owner then comes up to me and tells me that that can't be made vegan... Luckily everyone shared their food, which WAS good food.
Bad attempt number 1, but let's try again.
Second time, I go in with friends, order the guacamole as it was the best thing I had last time and basically what had me interested in going back. It comes covered in cheese. I had no idea, as last time it had none on it, and despite being on the vegan/vegetarian side of the menu, doesn't note that cheese comes on it. I tell the waitress I was unaware that it came covered in cheese, she just says, yeah it does, and then asks if I want another. I say yes. I only ordered something small because I was planning on eating my fair share of guac, but she never brought it.
Third times a charm? My mother and I go, and I ask for the guac and stress that I want NO CHEESE on it. The waiter asks if this is because I want it to be vegan (yay!) I tell him yes and he says "we also put egg in it." Weird...glad he caught it though. Egg and cheese in guacamole? And no note of it when it's on a section of a menu that is labeled vegan/vegetarian? I really think that should be noted...
I ordered, I don't recall what, but whatever it was there was no note that there was cheese on it. Low and behold, it comes covered in two types of cheese. Super! I was pretty surprised as the vegan conversation had happened when ordering the appetizer and then he had made sure to direct the vegan special to me and the nonvegan one to my mother. When I tell him he just looks at it, laughs, and says "oh yeah, I forgot about that"
I give up on this place, but I hear other vegans have loved it... :/

Cons: Cash only, Have never had a succesful meal here

Most of the vegetarian tapas can be made vegan (except the yucca dumplings). My table shared the vegan pupusas (amazing, can't say enough about how these were), the sweet corn tamale (we ordered a second, because we were fighting for bites of the first), the avocado and tomato salad (refreshing and light), and the fried plantains (good, but not as good or unique as the rest of the food we had). The place is TINY, but the servers were really friendly and helpful and the food is worth the wait! Will definitely go back next time I'm in New Orleans!

Pros: Great food, Great service, A lot of vegan/veg options

Cons: Small place, can get full, Not the fastest service

Incredible food! - Edit

I have to disagree with the other comment. For 8.95$, I has the biggest vegan burrito ever. It was simply delicious, and I know sometimes making tasty vegan food can be a challenge. I cannot speak for the other plates, but the one I had was fantastic. The servers are nice and the owner is simply amazing. You will be well served at this place. It is a small restaurant, nothing too cheesy or fancy, but it really delivered more than I expected personally.

Pros: Tasty food, Great vegan option, friendly servers

Cons: Some plates are a little expensive

Overpriced and Overstated - Edit

The only good thing I can say about the food is that it was fresh and seemingly prepared from scratch. Otherwise, the restaurant wildly overstates its vegan-friendliness and overcharges for the minuscule portion you will inevitably be served. Only half of that food will be tasty.

Pros: Fresh, Prepared from scratch

Cons: Overpriced for what you're getting

Return to New Orleans Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Macarena closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1336 times since Aug 2011.