La Lumiere du Mile End

• Vegetarian
Contact 514-658-4949

214 Bernard, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H2T 2K4

A neighborhood place serving vegan burgers. Vegan brunch on the weekend. Interac Debit machine only but no Visa.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Take-out

First Review by vegan maria

One of my Favorite Places to Eat in Mile-End - Edit

I frequent this restaurant often. I am a Yoga teacher in Mile-End and love to eat healthy, fresh, organic meals made with Love. La Lumiere has all those ingredients and more. They play great music, the staff is friendly, and I always feel welcome. The soups are delicious. Especially the dahl and the tomato basil. The specials of the day are well balanced and colorful. I love their homemade desserts...melt in your mouth banana, chocolate cookies and the best ever Fudge which I take to go to share with friends when invited over for dinner. In the summer there is a cozy outdoor area to enjoy. Don't miss out on this gem! OM-iverous

Welcomig little place - Edit

The warm an comforting atmosphere is great. The food is nourishing and very good. That's why I return to this lovely place. There is also a beautifull yard in the back with Trees and birds where you can eat during summer. The staff is very kind and welcoming. The coffee is one of the greates in town. Bye! :)

Consistently excellent! - Edit

I work as a holistic nutritional consultant and I have eaten at this restaurant 4 times a week for the past 2 years. The consistently innovative dishes with soy-free, dairy-free and gluten-free specials makes this local gem a MUST VISIT for all vegans and vegetarians alike.

I find the ambiance inviting, the servers kind and attentive and the prices extremely reasonable. The staff is personable and will happily make adjustments to suite dietary needs. They offer a beautiful brunch on the weekends that creatively pair hypoallergenic and vegan ingredients to create delicious and salubrious alternatives to classic brunch items.

Some of my favourite dishes are the millet and kale "frittata", the sweet potato and lentil "shepherd's pie" and the cauliflower "tarts". Their miso gravy and tahini dressings are so tasty!!

In addition, they are one of the few restaurants in Montreal that offer soy free dairy alternatives for coffee/chai.

As a professional I know that I can trust this restaurant, as well as recommend it to my clients. The proportions of vegetables to grains and beans is well done such that you leave feeling satisfied but not too full, it is easy to finish your plate here!

I will continue to support this small business, that also hosts artistic events such as album releases and poetry readings. I strongly recommend that you come and savour your experience at the veritable "Lumière de Mile End".

feels like home - Edit

I've been going regularly to Lumière for a few years now. Simple and healthy home-style cooking. The banana-oatmeal-chocolate-chip cookies are awesome and so is the coffee. Cute decor and a nice place for artists to hang and sell their work. Relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I go there with friends, family, or alone to study; good vibes there! Lovely terrace in the back during summer and fall.

Mixed feelings - Edit

I have been going to this place for quite some time, as I live just down the street. It's a nice quaint place to enjoy a non-dairy, non-soy latte. The food is standard veggie fair and the burgers aren't bad.

My husband has used them to cater for a university event and was very happy with the service and food.

There's a cute area outside in the back that's nice to hear the birds and sounds of life from other apartments.

The last time we went though, the service wasn't that good. The woman serving seemed annoyed with everything. We had dinner plans later, so we thought we'd stop in for a soup to tie us over. First we were told there was no soup, and then one bowl, so we took it along with a smoothie and dessert. Then we saw people at another table being served soup who had come in after we ordered. I didn't bother saying anything. When we went to pay, we mentioned to said server that surcharging on debit is not allowed in Quebec, as there was a $0.50 surcharge on the debit transaction. Instead of saying, oh, I'll make sure to let the owner know, she was snarky and said no one else complained about it since us.

I was bothered still when I got home, so I then brought it to the attention of the owner via Facebook, as I was more concerned and she always seemed so nice whenever we spoke with her, and I didn't want her to get a fine if someone actually made a formal complaint about the debit surcharging. She said thanks for letting her know, and I thought all was fine. Then I noticed as photos were posted from their page on my news feed, I wasn't able to like or comment on any of them, as though I had been blocked. I have since sent a message via email, regarding this, but with no response. I'm just a little sad, because I wasn't rude or impolite, just a regular customer bringing up the service that I wasn't happy with, so if I was blocked from participating on their Facebook page that I liked, I don't think I would return.

I will update my review should I get any further positive response from the owner.

Updated from previous review on Monday May 05, 2014

Pros: affordable, nice location, healthy

Cons: debit surcharge, see my review

Not a bad place - Edit

I had lunch here once and took a vegan indian burger. It was not bad but I find it really dry and not amazing. The place is pleasant but I definitely prefer other places in Montréal to eat vegan burgers.

Pros: vegan options, not too expensive

Cons: dry burgers

A favorite. Great place to bring curious non-vegs. - Edit

One of my favorite places, especially in summer. Sitting on the back terrace for brunch on a warm morning produces a perfect Montreal moment. While the fact that they only offer one option for brunch may bother some, the unique meal they serve makes it worth the limited option. The plate is always so colorful, filled with lots of different veggies, and a large portion of the main dish which changes from week to week. Staff is so friendly, bilingual. This tiny (very tiny!) place even has a bit of a B&B feel. Cozy. A great place to go with friends to spend the morning chatting and relaxing.

Have never left disappointed. And they have vegan fudge!

Pros: brunch

Cons: not open Wednesdays

Good brunch - Edit

I really like the vegan brunch plate at this place. A hearty salad, risotto, and frittata. It used to be a really good deal at $8 but last time I went I think I was charged $10 or $12 (can't recall). That's without coffee so I think that's a bit pricey for a hippie plate of food. But I guess we all gotta eat!

The rest of the menu is kind of boring to me. I like going there for coffee and their yummy desserts. THey have a cute garden in the back.

Pros: Interesting decor, Tasty brunch, Great coffees

Cons: Noisy, Prices went up?

Good food - Edit

Cute little bistro. Creative, but limited, menu. Good service and good value. I think that the location is really Outremont, not Montreal. Montreal is an island on which there are many towns--and one of those towns is called Montreal.

Good - Edit

I had a 2-for-1 coupon for this place so me and a friend checked it out. It was two blocks from my old apartment so I still feel a bit of loyalty to the quartier :)

They have mostly burger/sandwich type things. I think they were about $8 each and came with a side of salad or tortilla chips. The staff was super nice and the ambience fits right in with Mile-End and we had a wonderful lunch. Truthfully, I found the burgers small and nothing special taste-wise but hey, it's a cool quirky veggie burger joint in mile-end.

Go here for lunch with a friend.

Pros: Quirky, Friendly

It's really good - Edit

My girlfriend made me write this review because she LOVES this place. We went there when I was in town and now she seriously can't stop talking about it.

I had the black bean burger which is apparently vegan until you ask for melted cheese on it like I did - heh-heh! and the soup might have been the best soup I've ever had in my life actually.

So the food is really great but the space itself is also interesting and chilled out. When we got there the two women behind the counter were bantering with some customers at the counter and they were HILARIOUS! They were friendly and didn't mind all my questions about the menu and they made me coffee exactly to my specifications... without visibly rolling their eyes at me. Kudos!

Also the music is really good.. where else can you hear a mix of Edith Piaf, Johnny Cash, The Clash, and the theme song from Fresh Prince of Bel Air (some of the customers broke into an impromptu dance when the last song came on).

I know my girlfriend will drag me back there when I'm back in Montreal but she wont have to pull too hard. It's really good.

Pros: good food, nice place, great music

Cons: too far from toronto, a little crowded, no room for breakdancing

What a great find! - Edit

My friends and I were walking through Mile End trying to figure out where to go for lunch after a day on the mountain. We were two vegetarians, one vegan and an omnivore.... always a challenging mix when looking for a place to nosh.

We saw the sign outside of La Lumiere du Mile end advertising vegan burgers and even our meat eating friend was interested in checking it out (the black bean burger lured him in, I think)

This place is amazing. It's a little like entering into a magical time capsule. The gold tin ceiling is great for dreamers, the owner told us and she was right. This place is tiny but that adds to its charm. It was pretty crowded when we were there and the owner also told us that in the summer there is a garden open in the back.

We had a great curried red lentil soup and split a variety of sandwiches and burgers and salad. Everything was really fresh and nicely presented. The colors in the salad are beautiful. And everything was really cheap!!!!

We also split some vegan cupcakes (bites of lemon heaven) and a strange but delicious gingerbread square.

This place rocks and I can't wait to go back. It's likely to be my new "take a friend to lunch" place to go.

I give it five thumbs up, two hey-hey-heys!, and a rousing woo hoo!

Pros: yummy, inexpensive, super friendly

Cons: apparently odd hours(?), can get crowded on a busy day, cant think of anything else

affordable vegan delights - Edit

Recently I visited the mile end and came across a new vegeterian/vegan restaurant. The warm and charming atmosphere drew me in but the food was what won me over.
I began a delicious comforting vegan carrot ginger soup, followed by a black bean burger served on a wholewheat rossette with a mango corn salsa.
Yumm, the chipolte smoked pepper seasoning in the bean pattie married with the refreshing salsa was scrumptious.
If your vegan or vegeterian I highly recommend you try the food at this quaint cosey spot.
p.s. They also a selection of hot chocalate, Bio teas, oganic equitable coffee, and hot apple cider.

Pros: excellent food, health, good value

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Lumiere du Mile End closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7726 times since Sep 2008.