La Favorita - Leith

Contact 0131-5555564

321 Leith Walk, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH6 8SA

Serves meat, vegan options available. Sit-down restaurant with an attached pizza delivery & takeaway. Began offering vegan rice milk cheese in late-2014 - ask for it. Note that while the standard pizza base is vegan, the gluten-free one contains egg. Be specific when order as staff might use parmesan in your order. Open Mon-Thu 4:30pm-10:30pm, Fri-Sun 12:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by craigmc

Typical Italian pizza - Edit

I went here with my boyfriend one evening for dinner and they were absolutely packed - and with a lot of Italians too which I thought was a good sign. However, I ordered my pizza without cheese and my boyfriend ordered with vegan cheese. When the orders came, mine came with real cheese which was more than slightly annoying given the waiter seemed to have made a point of not writing anything down and trying to remember it. To their credit, they brought me a new one within five minutes, but I still thought the pizza was just... average. The base was a very nice typical italian base, but the tomato sauce was lacking, and there was not hot sauce other than chilli oil to add. However, my boyfriend really enjoyed his pizza so maybe it just depends on the person/the cheese made a big difference. The waiter also said they were considering vegan desserts so make sure you ask if they have any!

Pros: Good vegan cheese, Fast service, Kind staff

Cons: A bit lacking in attention, Lacking in taste for the tomato sauce

Alright pizza - Edit

We were told this place had the best pizza in Edinburgh. Although very good, not the best I've ever tried. However, definitely worth giving it a try.
For vegans, they offer vegan cheese as a replacement. However in the menu they only have margarita which could be vegan (the rest has parmesan, goat cheese and so on). However, you can add ingredients to your pizza.
Prices were a bit high given that "it's just a pizza". Each one of us paid 20£ for a pizza, a dessert and a pint.
The staff was always very friendly.

Pros: Vegan cheese

Cons: Not many pizzas are veganizable, Price

Nice pizza, long delivery times - Edit

If I order pizza out then this is where I'll go, but the long delivery times (usually around an hour despite living in the city centre) mean that if I want take-out then I'll do something else, and if I want pizza I'll make it myself.

The first time I ordered, the pizza came 15/20 minutes later than the already 55 minute delivery time, and the delivery guy gave us free dairy ice cream with our 2 vegan pizzas(????)

Try it for yourself, but I'd recommend sit-in, not delivery.

Updated from previous review on 2015-09-05

Pros: Vegan cheese, Reasonably priced

Cons: Delivery time

vegan cheese! - Edit

Very happy to discover a pizza place with vegan cheese! It's becoming more and more common place now which is great as pizza is the best food!
Really great base and range of veggie toppings too! Highly recommend. They also made us vegan garlic bread and added cheese on top :)

Pros: vegan cheese

Cons: bit pricey but worth it

Vegan cheese! - Edit

I am visiting Edinburgh with my omni partner, I searched for vegan restaurants online and saw this place mentioned on the Peta site. I was a bit disappointed when I first arrived as there was no mention of vegan cheese on the menu, but I asked our friendly waitress and she confirmed they had a vegan mozzarella... the pizzas were lovely, about 5 veggie options and the option to "build your own", thin crispy base, loads of creamy "mozzarella" and generous with other toppings too :)
Italians are not known for their vegan friendly desserts, but there were a couple of nice sorbets on their menu (Lemon or raspberry) which I was informed were not made with dairy (though I was warned that they "may contain traces of dairy), so if you're severely allergic, or a stricter vegan than I, then this May not be ok... )
All in all a nice place, good to go with omni, to show that vegans can enjoy great pizza too :)

Pros: vegan cheese, friendly staff , nice atmosphere

Good Italian - Edit

Have been to la fav on many occasions. I think vegetarians would be happy here but vegans may struggle,

It's a good italian, and like any good italian has some tomato based pasta and they are good quality. It's limited but staff are nice but I don't think they aim for and vegan clientele. make sure you tell them no parmesan before ordering, they normally don't put it on but I have sent food back before because of it.

If your in the neighbourhood it's worth a visit.

Pros: good italian

Cons: meat

Return to Edinburgh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Favorita - Leith closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.